How to fit a rear rack on a full suspension bike?

How do you install a rear rack on a full suspension bike? Multiple bike shops tell me that it cannot be done. Is that true?

I am planning on buying a FS bike for general comfort and stability. I ride hard packed dirt roads, gravel, and and pavement.

The FS just feels so much better on my back over a rough-road. The bike will basically be a glorified beach cruiser. I go for long rides on rail trails.

I will want to bring a good amount of stuff with me for the ride, and don't want to carry it on my back. Hence, the need for a rack. Other than a $5000 R&M, I can't find anything that ships with a rack. It is impossible to tell for most bikes whether there are mounting holes for a rack. What are my options? Budget is $3500. Must be bosch/shimano/brose/yamaha powered.

Ravi Kempaiah

What are my options?
you can add a rack to any FS bike. It won't be suspended and
Oldman mountain makes excellent, strudy racks.
@Mike TowpathTraveler has some very coool setups. Feel free to reach out to him. Check this out:

1577590204876.png

1577590238399.png

rich c

. Thule Pack 'N Pedal Tour Rack has worked very well for me on my Haibike Full Seven.

Ravi Kempaiah

I had a bad experience with Thule Pack n pedal. Mainly because the load bearing points are on the seat stay and the the rack would sway to one side when loaded.
But with the oldman mountain racks, the load points are directly on the axle (which can take a lot of load) and hence , higher load rating and a bit more stability.

Last edited:

rich c

I had a bad experience with Thule Pack n pedal. Mainly because the load bearing points are on the seat tube and the the rack would sway to one side when loaded.
But with the oldman mountain racks, the load points are directly on the axle (which can take a lot of load) and hence , higher load rating and a bit more stability.
I've never used panniers on Thule Pack N Pedal, maybe that makes a difference. But have ridden single trails with it on, with extra water, extra gloves, and wallet and phone. No trouble with that amount of gear.

smorgasbord

I've been looking at the Topeak seat-post mounted racks (see Topeak MTB Beamracks ) and one of their click on bags. I have an all carbon fiber full suspension bike and don't feel right attaching anything to the carbon swing arm. Better to attach to the aluminum seat post in my view.

Ken M

I think what puzzles me is that one of the big "marketing" Pros of a rear suspension ebike with a mid-motor is much less un-sprung weight so the rear suspension has better dynamic performance. Putting bike racks with 25kg rated weight limits on the swing arm just negates that aspect of mid vs hub motor.

In reality the lower un-sprung weight only makes a difference on mtn bikes where keeping that rear wheel in constant contact with the ground is vital (suspensions on mtn bikes are less about comfort than they are about dynamic response for traction and control).

I started a recent thread asking if a suspension was really important on an urban ebike given that much higher air volume tires are available for urban riding.

Timpo

I think what puzzles me is that one of the big "marketing" Pros of a rear suspension ebike with a mid-motor is much less un-sprung weight so the rear suspension has better dynamic performance. Putting bike racks with 25kg rated weight limits on the swing arm just negates that aspect of mid vs hub motor.

In reality the lower un-sprung weight only makes a difference on mtn bikes where keeping that rear wheel in constant contact with the ground is vital (suspensions on mtn bikes are less about comfort than they are about dynamic response for traction and control).

I started a recent thread asking if a suspension was really important on an urban ebike given that much higher air volume tires are available for urban riding.
Do you really think cheap ebike engineers cared about unsprung mass?
They're not engineers from Honda, Kawasaki or Ducati.

I still see so many ebikes with front basket directly attached to the handle bar and/or fork instead of frame.

I've seen tons of full suspension ebike with a GIGANTIC direct drive hub motor with 3000+W rating.

smorgasbord

I've got a dropper post on my full suspension bike. Is it crazy to think about attaching a seat post rack to it? I wouldn't attach it to the moving part - see this mock-up below:

RackOnDropper.jpg

I won't be carrying a lot of weight - probably just a tube, tire irons, patch kit, & something to eat. I'm worried that putting too much compression on the fixed part of the dropper post will interfere with the dropper action.

Thoughts?

BillH

you can add a rack to any FS bike. It won't be suspended and
Oldman mountain makes excellent, sturdy racks.
I agree with going with the Old Man Mountain if you can. I'll explain.

I placed an order for one for my BH Atom X Lynx 5. They got back to me for verification of thru axle bolt length and thread pitch. I was ok for the axle length, but BH, at least my bike, uses a 1.0 thread pitch and the more common pitch is 1.75 for split axles. So, for me it was a no go. I was bummed.

Ended up with an Arkel Seatpacker 9. In retrospect it turned out to be the better choice for my trunk bag sized needs.