How to fit a rear rack on a full suspension bike?

Topeak has their (newer) Tetrarack setups that mount on the seatstays... 26lbs max load (they also have a matching front rack).

Looks like it would work but doesnt seem to be for sale anywhere

BillH

Topeak has their (newer) Tetrarack setups that mount on the seatstays... 26lbs max load (they also have a matching front rack).

Thanks for this. Apparently new and not yet available to purchase, but will stay firmly in my radar screen when it's released.
1579570833927.png

smorgasbord

Only issue I have is you do have to be aware of it when mounting and unmounting. You had better throw that leg like you mean it, as even the mini bag juts up above the seat height and will catch your leg if you don't fully commit to hopping on or off.
Yeah, that's been the downside of my attempts as well. With Full Suspension, the rack needs to be high enough to not hit the rear wheel on landings, but then not so high that mounting the bike requires the leg dexterity of Baryshnikov. The dropper post on my bike is not only handy for descents, it makes mounting a ton easier. Losing that with a trunk bag just isn't in the cards for me anymore.

Later on, I might be tempted to try the swing-arm mounted racks shown in this thread (thanks, all), but for now I'm exploring other solutions. I don't commute on my bike, so I don't have high carrying needs.

Last edited:

FlatSix911

A Very cool front and rear rack design... thanks for sharing. ;)

I found the product available online from HiBike in Germany:

https://www.hibike.com/topeak-tetra-rack-rack-p87e53a693c05a1ec1d282820e5a47d1f#var_84500680

1579574815167.png

Last edited:

smorgasbord

Of course, I could have just bought the Riese and Muller SuperDelite: Full suspension with a factory built-in rear rack. But, it was twice the price of my already pricey bike.

antboy

https://www.hibike.com/topeak-tetra-rack-rack-p87e53a693c05a1ec1d282820e5a47d1f#var_84500680
I was looking for an upgrade to the supplied rear rack on my current bike when I saw this at Topeak. While the rear rack isn't suitable for my particular needs (max load etc) the front Tetra_Rack looks like it's perfect for anyone who wants the added storage.

I hope it becomes more widely available this spring, and check my LBS to see if they can order one in.

Camac

Plus 1 on the Thule Pack 'N Pedal Tour Rack . I have a Topeak bag with wet weather gear, first aid pack, spare tube, and a lot of tools. I have never used the panniers on each side. been running this for over 2 years and the only "problem" is the tools rattle a bit on mountain bike tracks.

tomdav

I'm not sure why there aren't more suspended options like the R&M racks. Too high a center of gravity? Seems a smart individual could come up with a heavy duty aftermarket design that attaches to the suspended frame instead of the seatpost. In any case, I didn't see this one mentioned here:

I like how it distributes attachment to seatpost and seat which should make it more stable.

smorgasbord

I like how it distributes attachment to seatpost and seat which should make it more stable.
For me, it places the rack way too high. As soon as you put a bag on that rack, that bag is higher than the seat, making it hard to mount unless you've got a step-thru full-suspension bike (like the Homage, which has its own built-in rack).

dryots

View attachment 44364
I have a haibike full fat 6. I custom build a rear rack that moves with the suspension. The pivots are hollow, so it’s possible to use the suspension pivots as mounting points. This is a Baltic birch prototype, next is a water jet cut aluminum kit, with a fold back extension for bike touring.
Thanks for this. Apparently new and not yet available to purchase, but will stay firmly in my radar screen when it's released. View attachment 44362
1581878732772.jpeg

FlatSix911

I have a haibike full fat 6. I custom build a rear rack that moves with the suspension.
The pivots are hollow, so it’s possible to use the suspension pivots as mounting points.
This is a Baltic birch prototype, next is a water-jet cut aluminum kit, with a fold-back extension for bike touring.
Very nice design with the prototype! Let us know if you offer the kit in Aluminum.

1581883620952.png

Attachments

Last edited:

dryots

Will do! The Baltic birch is amazingly strong and light , so I have been dragging my feet on the kit . But soon! Not sure if this rack will fit the other sizes if the model , this is the small.

Mr. Coffee

How do you install a rear rack on a full suspension bike? Multiple bike shops tell me that it cannot be done. Is that true?

I am planning on buying a FS bike for general comfort and stability. I ride hard packed dirt roads, gravel, and and pavement.

The FS just feels so much better on my back over a rough-road. The bike will basically be a glorified beach cruiser. I go for long rides on rail trails.

I will want to bring a good amount of stuff with me for the ride, and don't want to carry it on my back. Hence, the need for a rack. Other than a $5000 R&M, I can't find anything that ships with a rack. It is impossible to tell for most bikes whether there are mounting holes for a rack. What are my options? Budget is $3500. Must be bosch/shimano/brose/yamaha powered.
I'm going to ask kind of a silly question.

Why do you think you need a rack?

Bikepacking-style bags exist from a wide variety of manufacturers that do not require a rack. Also, there are some bags like most handlebar bags that just have mounting hardware on the handlebars and stem that let you carry stuff there.

Unless you have specific requirements that would likely be cheaper and work better for you. If you plan on hauling groceries or carry a briefcase and/or a laptop to work or school a rear rack system with panniers or a front rack with a basket is probably a better solution, but that doesn't sound like what you intend to do with your bike.

Here are some examples of quite nice bags that don't need a rack:

• Revelate Designs Sweet Roll. This is basically a double-ended dry bag that you attach to your handlebars. Their large size will carry quite a bit of clothing, bike tools, mask, snorkel, a couple of beach towels, &c. There is a convenient outside flap for putting wet raingear or a wet towel. Or even fins.
  • Swift Industries Paloma Handlebar Bag. Handlebar bags like this are awesome because (1) they use a quick-release attachment so you can take the bag with you when you go into the store, and (2) you can get stuff from them easily without getting off your bike. This bag is roughly big enough to carry a six-pack of beer (cans) with some room left over.
  • Swift Industries Bandido Handlebar/Saddle Bag. This bag is smaller than the Paloma and doesn't have the quick release system, but can work fine off your handlebars or off your saddle if your saddle has rails (or you can install rails on your saddle).
  • Arkel Rollpacker 25. This thing is huge. If your seat post is high enough and you have enough clearance you can carry an enormous amount of stuff in one of these.
  • North Street Pioneer 12 Hip Pack. This is kind of an odd duck, but still very useful. Can be configured as a handlebar bag, hip pack, or a travel pouch.
Yes, these bags are expensive. Especially the Arkel which is really expensive (but on a $ per volume basis isn't so bad). But remember two things: if you grovel on Amazon you can find lower-quality knock-offs of most of these bags for much less, sometimes much much less, and also that you just saved $200 on a rack you didn't turn out to need.