How to remove chain guard

Ground Hog

I have a Trek XM700 which has a full chain guard, which I love. I want to remove my chain which requires the removal of the chain guard. I've searched online and on this forum to no avail. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with full chain guards on bikes with the Bosch performance line motor. I'll try to attach a picture I found online.

1545699244961.png
1545699244961.png

Alaskan

It appears that Steve is correct. First the right crank arm has to come off. Then remove the screw at the back end of the chain cover that holds it on the chain stay. Then it will remove in one of two ways. Using a flashlight, look all around it through the gap between the chain cover and the motor cover. If you do not see any slots to stick 2.3mm allen driver into and loosen a screw, then it will rotate off in a clockwise direction. There will be three plastic tabs that fit into three slots in the motor cover. Hold it with two hands, wrapped around the circular part and rotate it off with steady, increasing pressure until it snaps loose and rotates about 3/4" then pull straight out. If it has the screws holding it in place, loosen the screws and pull it strait out.

AguassissiM

I would just open up the old chain and attach the new one to one end, than just pull it thru the chain guard, reconnect the new chain and be done with it.

steve marino

"I would just open up the old chain and attach the new one to one end, than just pull it thru the chain guard, reconnect the new chain and be done with it."

Brilliant idea. I love it, and suspect it would work great. My only concern is the unknown state of the chain gears in there. With my bikes, by the time the chain is shot everything is really worn. The rear cassette, the front chain rings, etc. I would want to take a peek at the chain rings in there just to see how things look.

If you can see inside the case with a good light, then AguassisiM's idea is surely the simplest way to go, especially if you don't have a crank puller (although those are inexpensive, and are a good basic tool to have around, along w/ a chain breaker and spoke wrench).

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

I had to search how to remove it I had the chain pop off and I could not work it out. Then I was thinking how do I clean the ring? Maybe I can get a brush in there?