How well did you do in January?

Handlebars

I'm really enjoying the cold weather rides - they're so invigorating! I'm not going out if there is lots of ice or much snow, but ebike riding with hand and face protection in the winter is more fun than in the good weather. I'd never be getting this much exercise outdoors and stretching my lungs otherwise.

Rick53

Both Nov and Dec I hardly cycled not because of the cold weather but because I was away and no access to any bikes. January I only managed eight rides due to the awful weather we've been having here in Europe.
LOL

harryS

For 2020, 75 miles so far in 9 rides for me. 25 miles in 3 rides for my wife.

I've gotten used to riding in 40F weather, but never in snow. Also won't ride if there is residual ice. Too treacherous.

Stefan Mikes

I rode 282 km in January, and additional 105 km in the first two days of February. The weather in Poland was +1-8 C (34-46 F) and there are strong winds blowing. Luckily no snow or ice.

Jaxx

Dec 14th onwards - 298(Dec) 502(Jan) It's almost spring here in UK. Have fresh ivy buds already opened and other bushes have burst out too. The only snow has been? Snowdrops, they are almost now done - at least a month early coming out!

JayVee

1000 kilometers since Jan1st thanks to the fabulous ‘weather in Europe’. There hasn’t be a kinder month of January in years or maybe even in decades. No snow, no ice, and little rain. Temps above 5C on most days.

JayVee

What about winds where you live? The temperatures are OK, the winds are terrible here.

View attachment 45243
Winds are often circular in nature in Alpine corridors. I live between the Jura mountains and the Alps. The wind will hit the mountains and then circle around. You want the wind in your back.

Today it’s a straight North -> South wind, which is more tricky. No free rides today... ;)

Jaxx

What about winds where you live? The temperatures are OK, the winds are terrible here.

View attachment 45243
Ha, now the winds this (so called winter) have been very strong usually prevailing from the west to SW. No sign so far of the "Beast from the East" If we get that this time of the year? Where I live on the east coast, it's a killer straight from Russia over the North Sea. First thing it hits is my windows.

Stefan Mikes

Same here @Jaxx. Westerly to SW. I happens to me to wear pretty light cycling clothes as for the season but the wind protection is essential. No ride without a warm helmet, goggles, windbreaker, tubular scarf, gloves, wind-resistant trousers and warm shoes.

Jaxx

Same here @Jaxx. Westerly to SW. I happens to me to wear pretty light cycling clothes as for the season but the wind protection is essential. No ride without a warm helmet, goggles, windbreaker, tubular scarf, gloves, wind-resistant trousers and warm shoes.
Oh, nowhere that cold Stefan. Average temperatures been around 10c had 15c last weekend about same again tomorrow. I've had to mow the lawn twice, and now have the ivy hedge with fresh growth. Hawthorn hedges also have new growth. Only used my winter bike (with mudguards) twice since late November.

Bobsiii

Living at the base of the Rockies in Denver I've learned that winter warm temps means lots of wind as fronts are preceded by winds blowing down the mtns and warming as they drop. Last weekend was 67 Sat, 75 Sun, winds around 20 mph gusts to 35; Monday we got 3-6" snow, temps dropped to -5F by Wed morning. Rode both days of the weekend, spent the past couple cleaning the bike. I'll ride down to about 40F but not on snow/ice.