I hope that Haibike is here to stay...

E-BikeAdvocate

...I have a suspicion that Haibike is leaving the North American Market all together.
The Haibikes 2020 e-bike models have hit the European market, you can only find 2019 models being sold on the USA website. I have seen the exodus of other German e-bike manufacturers in the past few years. I happen to own 2 Haibikes a road and a MTB. Hopefully, Haibike is not next to go.

If I could make a logical guess why this is happening. I think that the European manufactures have done a poor job on educating the US market on the benefits of finer quality e-bikes being offered. Bikes are a greater part of life in Europe. Where over here for many it's a novelty and or a toy. For that reason many Americans find the cost of spending $2500- on up is hard to understand. At the same time Haibike support to their buyers has not been known to be the best. If you have a problem with the fork that came on the bike, Haibike would tell you to contact the fork manufacture. Same goes for the battery and so on. I can't speak on how Specialized, Trek or others handle warrantee issues, but I hope that it's more comprehensive.

There happens to be a flood of cheep Chinese bike names on the US market as well as a are growing number quality e-bikes such as Rad Power Bikes. Owned and engineered in the US to accommodate the American e-bike consumers. Each year Rad Power Bikes offers greater quality, value and practical innovations.

I have watched a video tour from one Chinese e-bike manufacture. The engineers are young and highly skilled MTB riders, who have huge fantastic test tracks on site. The future wave of high quality Chinese bikes are soon to hit the market. That's why I feel that Haibike has read the tea leaves and have made plans to hit the road back back to home in Europe.

Last edited:

JustAGuy

...I have a suspicion that Haibike is leaving the North American Market all together.
The Haibikes 2020 e-bike models have hit the European market, you can only find 2019 models being sold on the USA website. I have seen the exodus of other German e-bike manufacturers in the past few years. I happen to own 2 Haibikes a road and a MTB. Hopefully, Haibike is not next to go.

If I could make a logical guess why this is happening. I think that the European manufactures have done a poor job on educating the US market on the benefits of finer quality e-bikes being offered. Bikes are a greater part of life in Europe. Where over here for many it's a novelty and or a toy. For that reason many Americans find the cost of spending $2500- on up is hard to understand. At the same time Haibike support to their buyers has not been known to be the best. If you have a problem with the fork that came on the bike, Haibike would tell you to contact the fork manufacture. Same goes for the battery and so on. I can't speak on how Specialized, Trek or others handle warrantee issues, but I hope that it's more comprehensive.

There happens to be a flood of cheep Chinese bike names on the US market as well as a are growing number quality e-bikes such as Rad Power Bikes. Owned and engineered in the US to accommodate the American e-bike consumers. Each year Rad Power Bikes offers greater quality, value and practical innovations.

I have watched a video tour from one Chinese e-bike manufacture. The engineers are young and highly skilled MTB riders, who have huge fantastic test tracks on site. The future wave of high quality Chinese bikes are soon to hit the market. That's why I feel that Haibike has read the tea leaves and have made plans to hit the road back back to home in Europe.
Thank you for the information.

bob armani

Is it a bit premature to make those assertions without perhaps getting something more concrete directly from dealers/mfgs? I hope they do not leave as I am also very pleased with my Haibike purchase as well. Guess we'll all have to keep our fingers crossed. We shall see...

bob armani

Haibike in the US was recently bought by another company and they are doing some reorganizing and restrategizing. We will see some new models for 2020 but more for 2021 as they have a chance to reorganize.
Thanks for the clarification Chris. This sounds more encouraging now for the future. Love the build quality of these bikes also.

LimboJim

I'm sure Chris knows far more than me about this since he's a nationwide, multi-brand ebike retailer, but to my knowledge, this is at least the second restructuring for Haibike since 2017 (probably the third or more). As a multi-Haibike owner since 2016, I've tried to follow the unfolding saga... if you're curious and ready to read a few "industry" stories on the matter:

In early 2017, Haibike's former parent company, Accell North America (ANA), relocated HaibikeUSA's HQs from CA to CO. Later that year, ANA let pretty much its entire management team go, also according to Bicycle Retailer. This was when their dealer and consumer support started to fade, IME - I know of two former Haibike dealers in my region who stopped carrying the brand that year due to poor support.

Then in early 2018, Haibike (and other ANA brands) started selling directly to consumers, allowing some "dealers" sell Haibikes that weren't in the resellers' actual inventory. Sometimes Haibike even shipped bikes that were ordered through "brick and mortar" retailers' websites right from Haibike's warehouses to consumers ("omnichanneling").

This further pissed off a lot of existing Haibike retailers who had invested in stocking inventory - I'm aware of at least one omnichannel seller who's "storefront" was at their residence; they actually never once had a Haibike in their possession (I got a Haibike Radius dirt cheap through them).

In late 2018, I read the following blurb about ANA's parent company's endeavors to try, try again: "Accell Group N.V. said it is considering selling its North American business, Accell North America, or right-sizing it down to a profitable size..." (read more here). Despite all this shuffling, ANA's North American business continued to sink in 2019, although at that point I believe Haibike had already bailed on Canada and may no longer have been part of ANA (if ANA still existed).

Last edited:

Dentman333

Haibike came up in conversation with the Specialized rep Haibike will continue overseas out of the US ”for now”

bob armani

I'm sure Chris knows far more than me about this since he's a nationwide, multi-brand ebike retailer, but to my knowledge, this is at least the second restructuring for Haibike since 2017 (probably the third or more). As a multi-Haibike owner since 2016, I've tried to follow the unfolding saga... if you're curious and ready to read a few "industry" stories on the matter:

In early 2017, Haibike's former parent company, Accell North America (ANA), relocated HaibikeUSA's HQs from CA to CO. Later that year, ANA let pretty much its entire management team go, also according to Bicycle Retailer. This was when their dealer and consumer support started to fade, IME - I know of two former Haibike dealers in my region who stopped carrying the brand that year due to poor support.

Then in early 2018, Haibike (and other ANA brands) started selling directly to consumers, allowing some "dealers" sell Haibikes that weren't in the sellers' actual inventory. Sometimes Haibike even shipped bikes that were ordered through "brick and mortar" retailers' websites right from Haibike's warehouses to consumers ("omnichanneling").

This further pissed off a lot of existing Haibike retailers who had invested in stocking inventory - I'm aware of at least one omnichannel seller who's "storefront" was at their residence; they actually never once had a Haibike in their possession (I got a Haibike Radius dirt cheap through them).

In late 2018, I read the following blurb about ANA's parent company's endeavors to try, try again: "Accell Group N.V. said it is considering selling its North American business, Accell North America, or right-sizing it down to a profitable size..." (read more here). Despite all this shuffling, ANA's North American business continued to sink in 2019, although at that point I believe Haibike had already bailed on Canada and may no longer have been part of ANA (if ANA still existed).
In summary, this quote looks like what we can look forward to and beyond (I hope):
(Sept 2019)
"Alta also has a two-year renewable contract with Accell to distribute the other Accell brands that are currently sold in the U.S.: Raleigh, Haibike, and Ghost". Fingers crossed sales will be profitable for this entity. Good info here!

Last edited:

Mike's E-Bikes

Alta Cycling group, the unit owned by Regent to handle the 3 brands does have a booth at CABDA Midwest next week. Haibike has typically been there, so it'll be interesting to see which brand has the most models being shown.
Actually Alta's website shows 6 brands including also DiamondBack ,Izip, and Redline, besides Raleigh, Haibike, and Ghost.

Last edited:

bob armani

Alta Cycling group, the unit owned by Regent to handle the 3 brands does have a booth at CABDA Midwest next week. Haibike has typically been there, so it'll be interesting to see which brand has the most models being shown.
Thanks for the heads up! It will be great to see what they offer in the new lineup this year. If anyone sees a video next week of Haibike/CABDA, please do not hesitate to post it (me included).

Mike's E-Bikes

Thanks for the heads up! It will be great to see what they offer in the new lineup this year. If anyone sees a video next week of Haibike/CABDA, please do not hesitate to post it (me included).
Where's Court ? We could use a 'pro' video of one of these CABDA events. ;) thought he'd show us a peek from CABDA west.

Mike's E-Bikes

At Cabda, I'm interested in seeing the Willier lightweight (26.2 lb) road racing ebike and the EBikeMotion x35 system on it.
Ebikemotion.com/web/x35-light-smart-ebike-system/

ElevenAD

the high quality China made bikes are already here! Rad are selling solid dependable bikes for peanuts,Bafang Ultra equiped bikes are popping up all over now, full suspension,faster more powerful motors with 160nm of torque,shift detection,throttle,torque sensor, larger capacity batteries and relatively low prices,these things are tough to compete with.

cuwatra

the high quality China made bikes are already here! Rad are selling solid dependable bikes for peanuts,Bafang Ultra equiped bikes are popping up all over now, full suspension,faster more powerful motors with 160nm of torque,shift detection,throttle,torque sensor, larger capacity batteries and relatively low prices,these things are tough to compete with.
Yep...the Chinese aren't coming...they are already here and just getting better.

Nutella

I think Haibike is also getting their lunch eaten in Europe. While they were early to the scene and with good quality ebikes, their designs have stagnated compared to others, and their assumed very expensive effort to bring the TQ motor into their line has been a disaster. A year or more late, with bikes just getting into the hands of consumers with problems right from the start. I think they'll be a casualty of the ebike feeding frenzy happening right now.

LimboJim

I think Haibike is also getting their lunch eaten in Europe. While they were early to the scene and with good quality ebikes, their designs have stagnated compared to others, and their assumed very expensive effort to bring the TQ motor into their line has been a disaster. A year or more late, with bikes just getting into the hands of consumers with problems right from the start. I think they'll be a casualty of the ebike feeding frenzy happening right now.
I was never a fan of the way they marketed the Flyon line...

ElevenAD

I can still remember how many American bassists were praising Chinese bass guitars "for peanuts" on BassTalk.com, some of them had as many as ten of such basses, and some claimed those basses were better than the Fender 🤔 The pictures of the Chinese-bass-crammed sofas were appealing to some. Not to me.
I wish my Fender guitars performed as well as my Chinese E-Bikes tbh