Interchangeable Twist Throttle Grips?

Ralph

Have you ever noticed that some electric bikes have what appear to be nicer grips than others? I have some really nice hand sewn leather ones on my Electra Townie, non electric. Easy enough, you just slip them off the handlebars and slip new ones on.

Is it possible or advisable to change grips on an electric bike that has a twist throttle? My dealers mentioned that everything just slips on so it is no big deal I just wonder if he is right. Does anyone have experience with swapping handlebars or grips?

Court

Administrator
Staff member
Great question Ralph, I've often wondered this because I prefer ergonomic grips (since I type a lot and have some injuries from gymnastics when I was younger). For basic grips, you could always just cut the right one in half to make it fit and then slide on like your dealer said but I think that actually securing the grip and keeping it straight is a big deal.

I love the newer grips that actually clamp down at the bar end to keep the rubber facing the right direction. One brand I've actually used and enjoy is Ergon and they come in lots of different shapes and sizes. I thought they actually had a set that was specifically designed for ebikes, where the right grip was shorter, but I couldn't find it. You could always just get a regular set and then use a hack saw to shorten the grip so it would fit flush with the twist throttle and not stick out.

ergon-ergonomic-bicycle-grips.jpg

These grips are especially nice because they have a hard plastic cylinder under the rubber exterior. This keeps the entire length of the grip from twisting, not just the end where the clamp is. I also like the ones with the bar ends for changing your hand position sometimes on longer rides :)

James

Hey Court,

Those are the grips I was thinking of using for my bike! I was thinking of the cork version though....

corkgrips.JPG

Have you heard about their longevity though? I was concerned because of palm sweat on the natural product. They sure look cool though

Court

Administrator
Staff member
Great call James, I actually had these Ergon GP1 Biokork grips in the back of my mind when I was posting the generic rubber Ergon GP1 grips. I think the cork would hold up just fine and I actually think it's like a cork, glue rubber combo.

I feel like I've seen these in shops and poked at them a bit, they don't feel like actual cork, more durable. This kind of makes me wonder how environmentally friendly they are but I guess there's a break even for using rubber/glue vs. replacing pure cork several times?

I also think that any product using cork helps to keep the niche industry alive in Europe. I've read that it has been suffering with the advent of twist tops, foam and rubber stoppers for wine bottles so these grips might help keep it going :)

James

Interesting. My stock grips are great so far, so I'm not looking to change quite yet, but when I do I'll go cork and let ya know how they ride!

Ralph

Thanks guys. My dealer said " how do you think they got the stuff on there in the first place" dah! I guess he is right. Still no bike so I have a ways to go before I try to trick it out.

FitzChivalry

I, too, may need to look into replacing grips. I did my first work commute (21 miles each way) on Monday, and my hands were really having to grip hard. I think that'll change as I get more accustomed to how the bike rides, but if it doesn't, I'll need to find something that works better. I'd be sad to lose the leather grips on my City Commuter, though, 'cuz they look pretty cool.

Ralph

They are nice grips but if not comfortable may need a change. How do you like the Commuter Fritz?

vincent

Bringing this thread back to life

Want some high quality grips for my electric mountain bike with twist throttle

Maybe gel? Or open to suggestions

RoyL

Court mentioned that he couldn't find the Ergon grips with short right end for e-bikes. This looks like it
(variant: Rohloff® / Nexus®):
http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/product.html?a=griffe#gptouring-42410205

If you you have a shifter or throttle on each side you can get these that are short on both sides (variant: Gripshift®):
http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/product.html?a=griffe#gptouring-42410105

Yes, this is what i done on my latest BBS HD build...

Ergon GC-1 Rohloff/Nexus grips, had to cut a little off the right grip to accommodate everything..

P1000840.JPG