Is the Vado SL Freehub noisy?

rochrunner

A couple of people who have ridden beside me -- including my wife -- have commented on how noisy the freehub ratchet is when I'm coasting on my Vado 4.0. It's almost made me hesitant to ride with a group in case I'd be annoying the other riders. On my other bikes as well as on my wife's Trek Verve+ it is virtually silent.

Do you find that the Vado SL makes a similar fairly loud clicking noise when coasting?

Allan47.7339

I don't think mine is any more noisy than average. There are some hub brands that are louder than others and I've ridden with people where you notice at first as unusual but not annoying. It makes it harder to sneak up on people on the MUP. Cats, rabbits and squirrels will hear you coming. Just keep peddaling, never coast.

rochrunner

I don't think mine is any more noisy than average. There are some hub brands that are louder than others and I've ridden with people where you notice at first as unusual but not annoying. It makes it harder to sneak up on people on the MUP. Cats, rabbits and squirrels will hear you coming. Just keep peddaling, never coast.
Yeah, I had a set of Mavic wheels on one of my road bikes that was pretty noticeable, then a set of custom wheels with totally silent hubs. I suspect that the mechanism on hubs intended for e-bikes are a bit more robust since there tends to be more jerking during shifts and generally higher loads.

Ebiker53

A couple of people who have ridden beside me -- including my wife -- have commented on how noisy the freehub ratchet is when I'm coasting on my Vado 4.0. It's almost made me hesitant to ride with a group in case I'd be annoying the other riders. On my other bikes as well as on my wife's Trek Verve+ it is virtually silent.

Do you find that the Vado SL makes a similar fairly loud clicking noise when coasting?
I noticed the same thing when we got our Como's 3 years ago.I'm used to it now but it does seem odd that it has to be that noisy.

BEC111

It is a bit noisy, but I sort of like it. Especially when I’m coming up upon a group of slow walkers with headphones. Between the coasting noise, my bell and me shouting, “on your left!” they have one more warning to ignore.

TS25

Region
Europe
... In sort of like it. Especially when I’m coming up upon a group of slow walkers ...
I really like the coasting sound and use it on purpose when I'm running up on pedestrians in front of me.
Or in the woods so the wild German bears and boars stay away from me 😊.