Is There an eTrike with a Narrow Footprint?

LindaRacine

Region
USA
Hi...

I'm new to the forum. Thanks to all who have come before me to post such valuable info.

I'm in my 70's and mildly disabled, and have pretty severe balance issues. In an effort to not feel my age, I dismissed the idea of an eTrike. But, I tried a friend's RADRover yesterday, and was essentially too intimidated to ride it. So, I'm back to thinking about an eTrike. I have some concern about them being a little wide for the narrow shoulders in my neighborhood. I'm concerned about the bike sticking out into the traffic lane. Do any of the models you've considered have a shorter axel than the others?

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts.

Regards,
Linda

arcom

Consider the Catrike ePocket, about 31" wide and likely the smallest out there. Not cheap--$5,000. My wife rides a Catrike Trail (non electric) and reaslly likes it. USA made and in the top tier of recumbent trikes.

arcom

The Liberty is doable except for
1631659132221.png

theemartymac

Make sure you try a recumbent before ordering, as they can be tougher to get up out of if you aren't as flexible anymore. But definitely the most inherently stable option.

Another option is adult stabilizer (look like training) wheels. Not all are e-bike rate, but worth a look if you can't find a trike you like.

Just beware of cheap tricycles, as some are more dangerous that a regular bike.

EBR Has reviewed a lot for a starting point:

PedalUma

Region
USA
The aluminum seven-speed Meridian has 26' wheels and is adult sized. The frame is good and the components lower end, big box retailer grade. It is stable, fits through a door so it is not overly wide and it has a large basket between the rear wheels. A used one costs about $300. Tires, grips, saddle .. can be easily upgraded. Then just add the motor and battery and you are set. You will have a decent trike that is better than the ones online, more affordably. My friend has one and loves it. He has a disabled placard and opted for a throttle which it turns out he never uses. When you first ride one practice doing figure eights of various sizes in a safe place to get the feel of it.

AlanDB

Region
USA
City
Iowa
The rear axle on my wife's Evelo Compass e-trike is approximately 29 inches. The Compass is a conventional upright trike with 2 rear wheels (not a recumbent). I don't think you would want to go much narrower on this type of trike because of the tip-over hazard. Even with the 29" axle, you have to take the corners very slow to avoid the risk of tip-over.