Known Issues & Problems with Aventon Products + Help, Solutions, & Fixes

robrob

Blipping the throttle is easier than dialing around the display so I'll start doing that to keep the Pace awake.

alivengo

Check the web site again.
There are different recommended sizes for the small step-through (4'11" - 5'4") vs. the small step-over (5'1" - 5'7").

I have the medium step-through (5'4" - 5'10"), which is also different than the medium step-over (5'7" - 5'11"). But as I mentioned, the medium step-through fits me (6'2") just fine.

DrJay

There seem to be various types of Cadence sensing controllers
- Constant voltage - This drives a constant voltage to the the motor, based on the assist level, with the current limited by the controller. At low speed you hit the controller current limit regardless of the assist level. Thus, you get a hard shove even at low levels. The Aventon and Magnum Metro, among other bikes, has this type.
- Constant power - The controller tries to feed the motor a constant power based on the assistance level. Thus,
at low assist levels you get a gentle push. Rad Power Bikes has this type on the Rad City. I much prefer it to constant voltage. You will still get higher torque at low speeds than at higher seeds but the drop-off isn't too steep.
- Constant torque - The torque stays constant based on the assist level until you are going fast enough to hit max power. I don't know of any bikes that have this, but there may be some.

If you are technically inclined, you can see the torque curves for constant voltage (the default) or constant torque (if you select a custom controller with constant torque) at https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html. Changing the throttle setting is the equivalent of setting the PAS (pedal assist) level.

Finally, torque sensing bikes work differently, sensing your pedal torque and multiplying that power, giving a fairly natural feeling.
Great explanation. My neighbor has the Pace 500 and has a lot of trouble with PAS surge. He has lost control a few times in tight turns. I have a Qualisports Volador and the power delivery is ultra smooth.

Josh Warrior

Received my new Aventon Level yesterday. Easy assembly except: the front axle, which needs to be taken off to put on the wheel, is seized in the hub; it will not come free. It is their new fork (Suntour Mobie) with the 20mm bolted through axle assembly. The hex nut was very tight upon its arrival - I was finally able to turn it but the side opposite the hex nut appears to be seized and has no give. A dab of oil, a bit of rubber mallet yielded no movement at all.

Took it to a local shop this morning that is an Aventon partner, and they too were unsure of the scenario. Recommended I contact Aventon (which I have, but after and email and a call and 24 hours they have not returned yet - we'll see how the customer service is...). Both the shop and I are hesitant to wail to much on the axle seeing as its brand new.

It looks great... but so far it's only as good as a bike with one wheel.

One week later: The axle that had arrived with the Level was indeed defective, and Aventon shipped a new one immediately. The shop that represents their bikes here in Eugene replaced it, and I rode about 20 miles today in the glorious sunshine. First impression is great!

Last edited: