Known Issues & Problems with Pedego Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Dentman333

Pedego replaced my 2014 City Commuter,(5,000 miles) with a 2019 model because of a cracked frame. The new model's pedal assist is different in that it cuts out power when you hit certain speeds in each level. The 2014 model had even power and did not cut out. This new PAS is terrible and makes for a terrible riding experience. The power is constantly going on and off, as you try to maintain a constant speed. The dealer told me this is how the bikes always performed. I let him drive my other 2014 Interceptor , at which time he admitted that the 2014 had continuous power. He told me the controller perimeters were different and that the new controller was a better system. Can someone verify that newer Pedegos have a differ controller than the 2014 model, or did they give me a lemon.
Pretty sure they changed the controller after 2014. I had (sold) a 2017 Platinum Interceptor had none of the issues you describe. Try a Specialized unless you need a throttle or a Rad City if you do.

Deacon Blues

I have a similar issue with my Pedego Ridgerider. The motor's output, regardless of gear, seems to be linked to a specific speed in each level. In comparison, I ride with a couple of people who own Specialized Vados and they can easily hit their motor cut-off speed (32 kph) in every level. I can't do that with my Ridgerider.

6zfshdb

I have three 2018 Platinum Interceptors and none exhibit the symptoms you describe. Pedego also replaced 2 of the original controllers which failed in 2018. Again, none have your symptoms.

I would contact Pedego tech support directly and ask about this issue. https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/contact/
They will respond promptly with an answer.

Deacon Blues

So far I'm not impressed with the quality of my Ridgerider. In 1000 miles I've already had the motor and torque sensor replaced. Thankfully, both were replaced under warranty.
I plan on selling my Ridgerider this Spring and buying something else (not at Pedego).

justforfun

I have a similar issue with my Pedego Ridgerider. The motor's output, regardless of gear, seems to be linked to a specific speed in each level. In comparison, I ride with a couple of people who own Specialized Vados and they can easily hit their motor cut-off speed (32 kph) in every level. I can't do that with my Ridgerider.

One difference I see is no cadence mode for the Ridge Rider: FREE RIDE MODE (NO POWER), FIVE LEVELS OF PEDAL ASSIST WITH THROTTLE OVERRIDE, AND THROTTLE ONLY MODE.

Platinum Interceptor: FREE RIDE MODE (NO POWER), FIVE LEVELS OF PEDAL ASSIST WITH THROTTLE OVERRIDE AND TORQUE OR CADENCE MODE, AND THROTTLE ONLY MODE.

I'm very happy with my bike but I haven't ridden a Ridge Rider, so I don't know if I would like it or not.

I do understand disappointment in a purchase, I haven't bought a Ford product since 1979.

sc00ter

My City Commuter is a 2018 and I had a wire loom failure at 400 miles (replaced under warranty, and really quick turn around!) and I found a broken spoke on the rear wheel-also fixed under warranty with a quick turn-around. Other than those 2 issues its been a little tank. Now at a wimpy 700 miles.

Pixelmaestro

Pretty sure they changed the controller after 2014. I had (sold) a 2017 Platinum Interceptor had none of the issues you describe. Try a Specialized unless you need a throttle or a Rad City if you do.

I noticed the same thing. I had a 2014 City Commuter with frame cracks on tube that supported the battery assembly. I did not notice cracks in frame until Controller died and moved my bags to check wiring leading to battery. Everything is new except for front and back wheel assembly and batteries. I had to pay a couple of hours of labor to swap out the wheels. Lifetime warranty on frame kicked in on a 6 year old bike. I have had numerous items fixed on bicycle under warranty. Shifter, handle bar stem, controller have been replaced. I am also happy with my local store after switching coasts. I have not ridden any other e-bikes, but have put on 5000k on this one. Most of those miles were commuting for 3 years. My bike was getting a light touch for last two years. Now my kids are zooming all over the place that they are big enough to ride it.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Pedego as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.
Purchased a Pedago Interceptor a year ago. The first problem with the bike occurred about a month after purchase when the logic board and display were replaced. The next problem was intermittent problems with the wire connectors which the dealer corrected after being informed by Pedago that the problem was occurring on many bikes. The third problem was with the cadence sensor which had to be replaced. At present there is a problem with the peddle assist not reengaging on demand. The dealer has contacted Pedago but as yet no response. While all the repairs have been under warrantee it has been a very unsatisfactory experience. My significant other has a Trek with 5000 Km on it with absolutely no problems.

justforfun

Platinum Interceptor, down-shift lever has to be pumped a few times to function after sitting overnight. Is it hydraulic?

6zfshdb

Platinum Interceptor, down-shift lever has to be pumped a few times to function after sitting overnight. Is it hydraulic?
No, the shift mechanism is cable actuated, not hydraulic. Chances are, your derailleur is out of adjustment or the cable needs lubrication.