Known Issues & Problems with Rad Power Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

AHicks

That would sturdy things up for sure! 6'1" here as well. Now that I know about the potential for failure there, will likely be keeping a much closer eye on it.

Govind

Special shout out to Jung from Rad tech support! He was amazing in helping to resolve an issue where my bike would not power up (fell off a bike carrier, luckily front was stuck, so rear was dragged for a couple of minutes at 40-50 mph). Luckily had a working bike so Jung patiently had me go through all the possible solutions. Started first with all the connectors, no luck. Finally turned out to be the display (figured it out by bringing the working and non-working bikes close and doing a cable swap) and a new one is one the way.

First ride into work, grinning all the way, especially up the hills!

Love, love, love it!

So how often should I have the mechanicals tuned up?

Also, does the regeneration happen while coasting downhill or must the brake be applied? Wish there was an option where regen takes place without braking so I don't wear out the pads.

Thrilled to be part of this community, people jumped in right away to try and offer solutions.

Software suggestion for future display version- integrated power so I can see how many watts I put out pedaling versus the battery so I can make sure I am burning enough calories and don't get lazy. Should be easy to implement.

AHicks

RE: tune ups, I'd say annually, or when something doesn't look or feel right.

Re: regen, it comes on when a switch in the brake lever housing tells it you are applying brakes. The trick to using regen, without actually applying the brakes, is to have enough slack in the cable so you can pull the brake lever a little prior to it actually engaging.

Jimflorida

My Radrover with 1500 miles (bought in 2016) keeps giving a code 30 maintain error and power shuts off. I have carefully check all connections (twice). Since I’m out of warranty, is the bike just junk now?

AHicks

Jim, yes. The bike is junk. Just send it to me and I'll take care of it's disposal for you!
I'm kidding, obviously.

This is kind of a tough one. The mileage will likely have nothing to do with the fact it's got an electrical issue. They are random, but as the bike ages, it's potential for stuff like this increases. Have you determined, for sure, that this is not a battery or charger issue by measuring the battery voltage when it throws that code and turns off? That would be step one here. You want to make sure something isn't going on there (in the battery) that's causing the controller to shut the system down to prevent low voltage damage.

Tars Tarkas

My Radrover with 1500 miles (bought in 2016) keeps giving a code 30 maintain error and power shuts off. I have carefully check all connections (twice). Since I’m out of warranty, is the bike just junk now?
I started getting code 30s after taking my bike back out after last winter. They were intermittent. For me the errors were stopped by cleaning the battery contacts, on the battery and on the bike, and squirting a little dielectric grease on the contacts. Then I put the battery in, took it out, repeatedly several times.

Rad's advice is to take all the electrical connections apart, clean them and put them back together. I don't know if they recommend dielectric grease, but IMO it's never a bad idea.

Good luck.

TT

Jimflorida

Thanks for the advice. I did go through the electrical connection steps (twice). I was hoping that would clear it up, but it didn’t. Rad Rover support suggested I disconnect each of the connectors one at a time and see if the code clears, but it didn’t clear. They suggested I buy a new controller and wire harness, which I just did. Hope that clears it up. Sometimes these types of electrical gremlins can be aggravating.

Tars Tarkas

Use a toothbrush to clean all of the male connectors and get some dielectric grease at any hardware store. An invisible amount of oxidation could be the problem. Sometimes just taking things apart and putting them back together will work and sometimes it's something like a bad controller or wire harness, but cleaning and greasing things can be an almost instant fix and it's almost free. In my experience cleaning things solves about 80% of problems like this. Dielectric grease is pretty much like miracle juice for electrical connectors.

TT

AHicks

The dielectric grease suggestion is a good one, especially in the coastal areas of Florida. With new harnes and controller in hand, no better time to get that done that when replacing those!