Lack of information on Bosch motors after warranty runs out

Ivoivo1952

Region
United Kingdom
Hi new member here well not happy with what I found out yesterday. My trek powerflight 9 has developed a rumbling pedal shaft / bearing noise so I popped into th shop I purchased it from lark field cycles to see what it would cost to fix the problem. Well what a shock to find out that there is no chance of repair for the Bosch motor bearings . And the only option mentioned was buy another motor at a cost of about £800 . So for a bike that cost £4.5 k that’s done under2000 miles .what a rip off. There was no mention of that when I brought it. It’s six months outside the warrenty . Since then I have found out that I can repair it myself or get it done for £280 Ish . Surely the shop must know this ? . So I wish I hadn’t spent so much on my e bike if it means every 2000 miles I’ve got to go through a lot of effort to keep using it . So buyers beware .

ElevenAD

Hi new member here well not happy with what I found out yesterday. My trek powerflight 9 has developed a rumbling pedal shaft / bearing noise so I popped into th shop I purchased it from lark field cycles to see what it would cost to fix the problem. Well what a shock to find out that there is no chance of repair for the Bosch motor bearings . And the only option mentioned was buy another motor at a cost of about £800 . So for a bike that cost £4.5 k that’s done under2000 miles .what a rip off. There was no mention of that when I brought it. It’s six months outside the warrenty . Since then I have found out that I can repair it myself or get it done for £280 Ish . Surely the shop must know this ? . So I wish I hadn’t spent so much on my e bike if it means every 2000 miles I’ve got to go through a lot of effort to keep using it . So buyers beware .
come on man,quit messin, your dealing with a LBS and Bosch so situations like yours are not even possible! This only happens when you buy "Chinese Junk" from one of those online companies!

Last edited:

Mr. Coffee

Region
USA
City
A Demented Corner of the North Cascades
Happily riding with over 18000km on a Bosch CX.

What was the maintenance history on the motor?

Mr. Coffee

Region
USA
City
A Demented Corner of the North Cascades
No idea what maintenance is needed I was told it was a sealed unit don’t touch it ?
It is not a customer-serviceable part like a bicycle chain.

What I'd say is that if you purchased it from a Bosch-certified dealer they should have told you to have the bike checked out at about 500 miles, and depending on how hard you ride it and how awful conditions are where you ride, you should have had the dealer check it out periodically (you should ask them what the recommendations are) after that -- in any event at least once a year. The Bosch diagnostics that the dealers have is pretty good, and there was a possibility they could have caught the problem before the motor failed and fixed it within warranty.

Ivoivo1952

Region
United Kingdom
come on man,quit messin, your dealing with a LBS and Bosch so situations like yours are not even possible! This only happen when you buy "Chinese Junk" from one of those online companies!
Sorry no idea what you mean?
It is not a customer-serviceable part like a bicycle chain.

What I'd say is that if you purchased it from a Bosch-certified dealer they should have told you to have the bike checked out at about 500 miles, and depending on how hard you ride it and how awful conditions are where you ride, you should have had the dealer check it out periodically (you should ask them what the recommendations are) after that -- in any event at least once a year. The Bosch diagnostics that the dealers have is pretty good, and there was a possibility they could have caught the problem before the motor failed and fixed it within warranty.
hi he is a Bosch certified dealer and no mention of service at any time . I will get onto that thanks .