Law and Order and Cycling

mschwett

Region
USA
Ah....so a red light is to be treated as a stop sign. Good to know, not that anyone here sticks to the rules.
I know it was brought in in Vancouver a few years ago but I'm not sure if it extends any further out than Vancouver proper. I had never given it any thought until now. CN

the new idaho yield law that california has (or will have whenever the governor signs it) actually wouldn't apply to a right-turn-on-red, even though in theory that's treated like a right-turn-on-stop-sign.

i actually got a little more irritated at this guy after a period of time when i read a bunch of posts on the bay area biking forum on reddit and bikeforums about his giving similar lectures to dozens of cyclists over the years, pulling them over on his motorcycle for anything from not stopping at a right-on-red to speeding to having headphones in or something. each time his diatribe included the notion that most people breaking the law in sausalito are from san francisco because it's a lawless, terrible place!

Allan47.7339

the new idaho yield law that california has (or will have whenever the governor signs it) actually wouldn't apply to a right-turn-on-red, even though in theory that's treated like a right-turn-on-stop-sign.

i actually got a little more irritated at this guy after a period of time when i read a bunch of posts on the bay area biking forum on reddit and bikeforums about his giving similar lectures to dozens of cyclists over the years, pulling them over on his motorcycle for anything from not stopping at a right-on-red to speeding to having headphones in or something. each time his diatribe included the notion that most people breaking the law in sausalito are from san francisco because it's a lawless, terrible place!
Unfortunately I see your governor vetoed the new law using some safety gibberish provided by the pro-car road building lobby. I assume it's partly becuase CA cars don't usually stop at stop signs and assume they have the right of way. We just have the stop sign portion of the Idaho stop and it's been great but cars usually nearly stop at signs here. I sarcastically say we are doing the same thing cars routinely do except it's legal for bikes.

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
I agree, better to listen and nod your head than get hauled in. I would say what you did is technically wrong. He should have just said please don’t do that, I’m giving you a verbal warning. 2 minutes would have been enough. I do a lot of riding on rural roads around my house, pretty low traffic and treat a stop sign like a yield sign. In town I will stop at red lights and wait for green. Stop signs I slow down but not enough to put my feet down unless there is other traffic, then I completely stop. I wonder if this officer is actually suppose to be the “bike enforcement officer” or if he has made it his personal crusade. I suspect the later.

mschwett

Region
USA
Unfortunately I see your governor vetoed the new law using some safety gibberish provided by the pro-car road building lobby. I assume it's partly becuase CA cars don't usually stop at stop signs and assume they have the right of way. We just have the stop sign portion of the Idaho stop and it's been great but cars usually nearly stop at signs here. I sarcastically say we are doing the same thing cars routinely do except it's legal for bikes.
yeah. MAJOR bummer.

mschwett

Region
USA
… I wonder if this officer is actually suppose to be the “bike enforcement officer” or if he has made it his personal crusade. I suspect the later.

allegedly he is actually assigned to patrol cyclists, “because the tax paying citizens of this town don’t feel safe and that’s not a good feeling.”

i wonder how many pedestrians were injured by cyclists prior to this assignment/policy.