lo batt error / motor error

Sanders

I'm off to the store for some plastic friendly contact cleaner per Sierratim.

BUT..on a older como 3 and new 4: removed batts for charging to house as it became winter in garage.
Put fully charged batts back in bikes today for possible ride, intermittent motor on/off then those errors, then no motor.
Turned bike on/off many times as I'm clever that way.
New como 4 is fine, older 3 says lo batt timer and motor error, never seen any errors before.
Both displays show full battery.
Will return shortly with possible fix in a can and advise.

Sierratim

I'm off to the store for some plastic friendly contact cleaner per Sierratim.

BUT..on a older como 3 and new 4: removed batts for charging to house as it became winter in garage.
Put fully charged batts back in bikes today for possible ride, intermittent motor on/off then those errors, then no motor.
Turned bike on/off many times as I'm clever that way.
New como 4 is fine, older 3 says lo batt timer and motor error, never seen any errors before.
Both displays show full battery.
Will return shortly with possible fix in a can and advise.
A low battery in the display ('LO BATT') would eventually cause other random display messages as the display 'dies' I'm sure. Perhaps this is what the motor error is about on the older Como 3. I'd suggest a new display battery now as well as routine battery and frame power connector cleaning. My 2020 Vado display (the TCD-W display) uses a CR 1220 battery. Can't say for sure about an older Como 3.

Sanders

Was a good try. Same resuts.
Also tried display batt from good bike.
Then I got "motor error" and "timer", just the word "timer" not "batt timer".

Attachments

• 20210102_144059.jpg
    20210102_144059.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 16

Sierratim

Was a good try. Same resuts.
Also tried display batt from good bike.
Then I got "motor error" and "timer", just the word "timer" not "batt timer".
Might be time to get your LBS involved.

Did you 'scrub' the battery and frame power connectors with something like a Q-tip?

Sanders

Didn't go to that level but will try.
Blew out with compressor from safe distance, sprayed, let dry, sprayed again, blew that out. Gonna try the wipe off as well. LBS off for long weekend.
Got firmware and winter service to have done anyway. Might just load em up and get that done. Will advise. Tks!

Sierratim

After spraying the power connectors with the cleaner I spray a Q-tip with the cleaner and 'scrub' each side of each terminal. This usually takes a couple of Q-tips to keep from transferring contaminates between terminals.

Good luck.

Sanders

Upon further review:
Took both to LBS for winter service on new bike, diagnose older (with motor err - lo bat).
They said it lead them to a torque sensor issue, probly dirty, s'pose they cleaned it.
Not really sure where that would be, aware of cadence mag sensor but thinking that might be inside drive somewhere.
They changed batt in display unit, did a firmware update, all problems went away.
Firmware update both bikes.
Will probly pick them up tomorrow and get more info.
Open only M-F til 5pm, winter, sometimes makes it hard as I'm so dedicated to my job.
Right.