Long distance riding

JRA

Well-Known Member
My dream bike, have you priced one out? $19,600
If a bike is over $5k I lose interest in a hurry. That is why I never have been attracted to Optibikes although I have been aware of them for years and even visited their shop in Boulder a few times when I lived in CO. I've only seen two in the wild in all these years however and that was in Bellingham 10yrs ago. But if that's your dream then I hope it becomes reality someday!
 

6zfshdb

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania

JRA

Well-Known Member
Impressive specs to be sure with a price tag to match!

I'd be a bit concerned about the bike's weight though. The battery alone weighs 36#!
Well to be fair they do make a few models with the same motor and smaller 1700 and 1500wh batteries for less, but still alot of, money. So they will weigh at least 18lbs. less!
 

K PierreR

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
The Optibike is getting right up there to the point where I find it hard to match on DIY build. I can build something that better optimizes my riding style at 95% of the off-road capability for perhaps as little as $10k. The other 5% is probably beyond what I should be doing anyway. That is about half the price. Things are becoming available again and the exchange rate is favorable right now.
 

K PierreR

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
I might follow WilliamT's lead and look for a used Rad Wagon with the halong type battery instead of the newer Bafang battery setup and just play with it. Keep it as a spare to torture friends with. I have not been on one and want to know how they really handle with a load.
 

JRA

Well-Known Member
I might follow WilliamT's lead and look for a used Rad Wagon with the halong type battery instead of the newer Bafang battery setup and just play with it. Keep it as a spare to torture friends with. I have not been on one and want to know how they really handle with a load.
I've only ridden an original RadWagon and as typical of most long tails the rear end does tend to wag when loaded down but manageable at sane speeds.
 

K PierreR

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
I've only ridden an original RadWagon and as typical of most long tails the rear end does tend to wag when loaded down but manageable at sane speeds.
It's the tail wag and bike oscillations that I am trying to get away from. My current bike will set up an oscillation above 35mph when fully loaded or when too slow. Not sure if the problem is in with the Bluto fork, the frame, the head tube angle or what.