Looking for under $2000 city ebike for 6 ft tall 325 lb male in Seattle WA.

JakEmAll

Region
USA
I considered the conversion route, but with parts and labor prebuilt ends up being a better deal. Another consideration is the backlog most shops around here have on major work.

In the long run I’ll probably have a nice mid-drive built by a local frame maker but right now I want to get the bike I can afford and get today (or at least in the next 2 weeks)
Conversion is hard to beat if you're using a used bike to start with... Here's a used one in your price range that you could probably test before buying.

tomjasz

If two grand is a hard cap and you want a mid drive for hill climbing maybe buy a step through you like and get it converted with a 750w Bafang mid drive, you could pay a shop to do it if you prefer. You might like to look at an upright comfort oriented bike like a Norco Scene 3 or Kona Coco
I could have sworn it was $2500!

ElevenAD

Given how heavy the Uber bikes are and how wimpy the motor is I think any bike with halfway decent torque should work on most of the hills I need to ride.
You dont own those bikes so its different, each time you ride its probably a different bike and if something wears out you would never know. If you road the same 350watt Uber bike every day im not sure how long it would last you.

Cstefan

Region
USA
City
Seattle, WA
What did u get, I just picked up a ncm/et/Leon Cycle T1000, I'm 6.4" 320 and no issues
I bought an Espin Sport. I’ve been having some problems with broken spokes that probably could have been avoided if I’d had the wheels properly tensioned before I rode it.

rich c

I bought an Espin Sport. I’ve been having some problems with broken spokes that probably could have been avoided if I’d had the wheels properly tensioned before I rode it.
You don't think spoke breakage comes from you being 50 lbs heavier than the max rating of 275 lbs?

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
You don't think spoke breakage comes from you being 50 lbs heavier than the max rating of 275 lbs?
I wouldn't think that at all. My weight has been the same for years (a little over 300). I have/have had several bikes through the years (analog and e-bike), and the Espin is the first (only) one I've ever had issue with. That experience would tell me that a properly done wheel, especially one with 13ga spokes, shouldn't be having these problems, especially with the frequency they seem to be having them....

I would note that Espin is taking care of these issues pretty gracefully.-Al

Cstefan

Region
USA
City
Seattle, WA
Perhaps,
Nope, a properly tensioned wheel wouldn’t be popping spokes like this. Especially with 13g spokes and a 36 spoke wheel.

The breaks have mostly been at the flange with a couple at the nipple. This tells me the problem was improper tensioning.

I had a similar problem with a bike I bought 20 years ago when I was quite a bit lighter.