Looking to buy first ebike for wife and I. <$4000, mid-drive

aufan

Region
USA
Much thanks for this site and your expertise!
  1. Want to buy direct/on-line, tired of looking at LBS's
  2. Will spend up to $4k each
  3. Mid drive with cadence and torque sensors (I think I want this based on what I've read)
  4. Step through with up-right riding position
  5. Looking for reputable manufacturer and reliable components
  6. Will be used in hilly subdivision
  7. Throttle preferred
Thanks for you help!

Dewey

Depending on how tall your wife is she might like either the Evelo Aurora or Galaxy (the latter has smaller 24" wheels). Others include the EBT City or Cruiser, and the Pedego City Commuter mid-drive is available in a step through. All these bikes use variants of the Dapu MD 250 mid-drive which is one of the few mid-drive motors that offers both torque sensor and a throttle.

If you can forgo the throttle the Gazelle Ultimate C380, Moustache Lundi, and Trek Allant 7+ step through version, are nice step-through ebikes, as is the more powerful Cube NuRide. These bikes use Bosch motors with torque + cadence sensor but no throttle.

Last edited:

aufan

Region
USA
Depending on how tall your wife is she might like either the Evelo Aurora or Galaxy (the latter has smaller 24" wheels). Others include the EBT City or Cruiser, and the Pedego City Commuter mid-drive is available in a step through. All these bikes use variants of the Dapu MD 250 mid-drive which is one of the few mid-drive motors that offers both torque sensor and a throttle.

If you can forgo the throttle the Gazelle Ultimate C380, Moustache Lundi, and Trek Allant 7+ step through version, are nice step-through ebikes, as is the more powerful Cube NuRide. These bikes use Bosch motors with torque + cadence sensor but no throttle.
Thanks so much for your recommendations! Will check them out!

Timpo

Much thanks for this site and your expertise!
  1. Want to buy direct/on-line, tired of looking at LBS's
  2. Will spend up to $4k each
  3. Mid drive with cadence and torque sensors (I think I want this based on what I've read)
  4. Step through with up-right riding position
  5. Looking for reputable manufacturer and reliable components
  6. Will be used in hilly subdivision
  7. Throttle preferred
Thanks for you help!

Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB​

EVELO Aurora Limited​

Trek Verve+ 3​

CUBE Elly Cruise Hybrid 40​

Giant LaFree E+ 2​

Raleigh Venture 2.0 iE​

Timpo

Oh wait, I didn't see you said throttle preferred. 😲

That would limit to Bafang mid drive and it will be Bafang Ultra because of torque sensor.

Timpo

I would suggest you talking to Pushkar from WattWagons, tell him you have $4000 budget and he might be able to work something out.

wabaseballfamily

Region
USA
1614403478499.png

wabaseballfamily

Region
USA
Here is another one to consider pic above and link below.

aufan

Region
USA
Here is another one to consider pic above and link below.

Thanks for the input and information! I will try to find out more about the Zen, looks really nice!

reed scott

Is mid-drive plus throttle a thing?
Ditto what Timpo said re Bafang and throttle. The Eurobike folks accuse us of riding our bikes like motorcycles but we don't. I use my throttle only in dire circumstances and maybe a bit at the end of a long ride for a hill ( if I have battery left ) when I'm dangerously tired and need to get home. And personally I never use it to go fast. I don't like to go fast much at all. I will use it a tad if starting out up hill but just to get rolling and it is important with the throttle to be in a low gear in this circumstance. And also to be experienced with the use of the throttle and know exactly what it will do. :)