Luna Z1 - First impressions

tomjasz

Hey, I just found a new batch of four leavers. My friend picked a seven. Which means some odd mythological thing. Here is a sixer, fiver, and a couple of the fours. Again, the luck part is only the eye and cognitive state that can spot opportunity and not what a person steps on. Maybe I will open a thread on luck theory.
Getting support takes good luck or another $500.

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
Getting support takes good luck or another $500.
Interesting. My friend says that I am giving too much local support for free and that attorneys don't do that. I have value. My time and information are worth more than my stuff. I just started the thread on LUCK.

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
My Z1 arrived two weeks ago. I've put several hundred miles on it since then. I love it! A quality build with no initial issues. Coming off a Luna BBSHD DIY Mongoose Fat Bike (below).
I've made the following additions/modifications.
  • Velo Memory Foam Seat
  • DIY seat post mounted rear flasher
  • SQLabs grips
  • Miranda 150mm cranks. (The stock 175's were striking everything)
  • SKS MudRocker Front n' Rear Fenders
  • 2 RockBros Frame Bags
  • Tannus Armor Tire Inserts
I'm toying with the Frey Smooth Tuning for the Bafang Ultra today.

Z1.JPG

My Luna BBSHD DIY Mongoose Fat Bike.
Proved to be a very reliable build. The 860C Display went bad twice for no apparent reason

Big Blue.JPG

Last edited:

banshee28

My Z1 arrived two weeks ago. I've put several hundred miles on it since then. I love it! A quality build with no initial issues. Coming off a Luna BBSHD DIY Mongoose Fat Bike.
I've made the following additions/modifications.
  • Velo Memory Foam Seat
  • DIY seat post mounted rear flasher
  • SQLabs grips
  • Miranda 150mm cranks. (The stock 175's were striking everything)
  • SKS Front n' Rear Fenders
  • RockBros Frame Bags
  • Tannus Armor Tire Inserts
I'm toying with the Frey Smooth Tuning for the Bafang Ultra today.

My Previous ride: Luna BBSHD DIY Mongoose
Just curious, how does the power and acceleration compare between these? Pretty similar?

I am also considering a Z1 down the road one day.

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
Just curious, how does the power and acceleration compare between these? Pretty similar?

I am also considering a Z1 down the road one day.
If you are talking about the BBSHD vs the Bafang Ultra Mag, they are a pretty close comparison in power and acceleration, both rated at 160N.m of torque, both can handle 2000+ watts of power. The main difference being the torque sensing on the Ultra is a much nicer feel than the pure cadence sensing n the BBSHD.

Last edited:

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
Tried out the Frey "Smooth Tuning". Seems much smoother than the stock tune. Nicer ride.

milo12

Region
USA
What I am curious about is if you ran up against the LVC and at what voltage it cut out at? I am confident that I could also get more mileage out of my Z1 using lower assist levels and going slower to get more range but the part that is bugging me is the cut out I am getting at 46V. This is leaving too many wh's on the table and what I am interested in recouping.

On the upgrade front I recently put a Christini adapter and 36t N/W chainring on my Z1 and although it does cut down on top end speed on level ground it is still plenty fast enough. What it does though is keep the chain in the middle of the cassette more when on trails and climbing. On stupid steep stuff like we have here in spots I can now climb in mode 2 comfortably using the larger rear cogs where as before I would go to mode 3. Probably slightly slower but I am in no rush, I just want my pedal feel to be consistent. The ability to do so using a lower level of assist should net more range also.
Can you post the part number or site for the Christini adapter? A picture of the adapter would be great. Thanks

milo12

Region
USA
Have you tried Google? First place I would look.
Yes did that and I did that and ordered and received the part. My concern is the chain line is way different and I want to be sure I have the correct part. The adapter I have moves the chain about an inch. Is that correct?

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
I've put 1,000 very hard miles on my Z1 since taking delivery end of June. Zero problems. I really love this bike. Fast, light, nimble, absorbs all of the terrain like butter. Not a single problem or defect so far. More fun than I have ever had!

Last edited: