Magura MT5e front RCS brake

Guitartec

Last year, I was riding my RCS in the Green Mountains and quickly found out that the the Star Union 150PYD brakes are simply not adequate for the type of riding I am doing. Plus, I weigh in at about 240lbs, and when my bike is fully loaded, it's up over 250. Even bleeding, adjusting and trying high quality ceramic and semi-metallic pads wasn't much help with the Star Unions when going 50mph. Due to this, I need to find a better front brake system. Long story short, I just ordered the Magura MT5e with aluminum lever, a Magura 180mm MDR-C 2mm thick rotor an the QM-40 mounting adaptor.

I got a lot of help from Jude over at Magura to find the right parts and they are kind enough to shorten the hydraulic line down to 33-1/4" for me so I don't have to do it.

Now the big questions... Will it fit??? And does anyone have any experience installing a MT5e onto a Ripcurrent S or any experience just with Magura products in general? I know they make excellent brakes, but that's from the motorcycle world I also live in. I'll keep this thread posted about the fitment. Should be here in a few weeks.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

I have their e bike bakes and and man with 180 rotors they are pretty powerful. not sure if I would need the 4 piston though I would like to use less fingers to brake. but they are easy to change the pads without removing the wheel.

Guitartec

Last year, I was riding my RCS in the Green Mountains and quickly found out that the the Star Union 150PYD brakes are simply not adequate for the type of riding I am doing. Plus, I weigh in at about 240lbs, and when my bike is fully loaded, it's up over 250. Even bleeding, adjusting and trying high quality ceramic and semi-metallic pads wasn't much help with the Star Unions when going 50mph. Due to this, I need to find a better front brake system. Long story short, I just ordered the Magura MT5e with aluminum lever, a Magura 180mm MDR-C 2mm thick rotor an the QM-40 mounting adaptor.

I got a lot of help from Jude over at Magura to find the right parts and they are kind enough to shorten the hydraulic line down to 33-1/4" for me so I don't have to do it.

Now the big questions... Will it fit??? And does anyone have any experience installing a MT5e onto a Ripcurrent S or any experience just with Magura products in general? I know they make excellent brakes, but that's from the motorcycle world I also live in. I'll keep this thread posted about the fitment. Should be here in a few weeks.
5/22/2020- Well, here it is a few weeks after I installed the front Magura brake system. I know when people buy stuff, they tend to be over excited about their wise decision and are dying to tell everyone. I promise I'm not touting my "wise decision" here, but when I say HOLY POOP, it may not sound like it. Sorry bout that.

The Magura is a much improved brake system over the Star Union. It only took a few minutes to remove the Star Union and install the Magura on the front of my RCS. I torqued everything as close as I could to spec without exceeding torque specs for my carbon fiber handle bars.

I also had to cut the Magura motor cutoff wire and the screw-on Higo motor cutoff wire and connector from the Star Union and splice it into the Magura.

BTW, you need to know if the RCS uses a normally open or normally closed motor cutoff switch when ordering new brakes. IT'S NORMALLY OPEN on the RCS. Magura is a German company and oddly calls normally open "Higo Closer". If it were normally closed, it would be called "Higo Opener". Go figure. "Higo" is the type of push-together connector currently used on all Juiced and many other ebikes. Juiced oddly uses screw-together Higo connectors. Very weird!

A few things I want to say are the 4-piston works nicely with my rear 2-piston Star Union brake. Modulation is excellent between the two and I've experienced no fade as of yet, but I have not taxed the brakes down a big hill or mountain yet.

The only thing I don't like about the Magura is not that big of a deal and may never even be a problem at all... With most ebike brakes, like the Star Union for instance, the motor cut-off switch's wire is connected to the body of the hand brake where the reservoir is, so it does not move when you apply the brake. With the Magura, the wire is attached to the brake's lever itself and moves everytime the brake is applied. Wires and movement= trouble if ya ask me, but luckily it just a simple 2-conductor wire which can easily be fixed if need be.

Last edited:

bob armani

Magura MT5s came stock on my eMTB. They have a bit more of a 'squishy' feel compared to my other set of Tektro Hydraulic brakes. I also had to bleed them from the get go due to excessive lever travel coming too close to the hand grips. Other than that, I have no complaints. They are 4 piston front/back and have excellent stopping power and handling. I also reached out to Magura USA for a stripped EBT screw located on the reservoir and they sent me an entire lever and bleed kit, no questions asked. Excellent C/S IMHO.

Guitartec

Magura MT5s came stock on my eMTB. They have a bit more of a 'squishy' feel compared to my other set of Tektro Hydraulic brakes. I also had to bleed them from the get go due to excessive lever travel coming too close to the hand grips. Other than that, I have no complaints. They are 4 piston front/back and have excellent stopping power and handling. I also reached out to Magura USA for a stripped EBT screw located on the reservoir and they sent me an entire lever and bleed kit, no questions asked. Excellent C/S IMHO.
That's excellent to hear. Like many people, I vest myself into the companies I buy from and hope and prey they're not jerks (or turn into jerks) when it comes to c/s. Hearing this from you bodes very well for Magura imho. BTW, The Weber Grill people are like that too. One of the best companies I ever worked with.