Maxxis Hookworms

Christopher85083

Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5 with Maxxis 2.5-2.7 DH tubes.

Diameter drops from 29" with the Kenda to 27" with the Maxxis.

No test ride yet, but I do like the look of them. :)

Christopher85083

This thread was worthless without pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8,504
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9,871

MarkB

Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5 with Maxxis 2.5-2.7 DH tubes.

Diameter drops from 29" with the Kenda to 27" with the Maxxis.

No test ride yet, but I do like the look of them. :)

So, did you have to get new wheels that weren't as wide to go from a 4" wide tire to a 2.5" wide tire? How would that even work with a fat bike frame, brakes etc... Interesting...

Mark -

Christopher85083

Same rims, same brakes. Our rims are 3.25", and the tires bead nicely.

The bike rolls soooo smooth now. I ride all pavement with this bike, and I was looking for a smoother, more efficient tire.

MRk chalmers

Hi my name is mark and had my first ride only rover today and really enjoyed apart from a few riders calling me a cheat! It annoyed me a little as I do regularly ride my road bike... I bought the RAD rover to commute. There are no showers at my work making the road bike a bit of a non starter. Can you post a pick of the smooth tyres on the bike? I do want some smother tyres to reduce the noise and to artificially lower. Did you modify the wheel dimension on the LCD? Many thanks, mark

Christopher85083

Nah, you have the same pack I do.

That thing mounted to the frame is the battery pack for my front light, and the cord isn't plugged in. It's just dangling there is all. I charge the headlight and the main battery every night, so it's often unplugged from the light itself for charging. It's a great light at 1,200 lumens, but it really does drain the battery quickly.

Christopher85083

Thanks Chris... ordering them tonight! I need to lower the bike to alittle to protect the gonads! Officially start commuting on the rover tomorrow (25 mile round trip). Had a fab ride today keeping pace with all the roadies
I haven't had a chance to ride much lately, so I'm not sure how different the speed readings will be. So far, I have not adjusted the tire size on the lcd. I'll do some comparing with a gps and see if I need to make a change.

Let me know what you think of the tires! I sure like them.

MarkB

Nah, you have the same pack I do.

That thing mounted to the frame is the battery pack for my front light, and the cord isn't plugged in. It's just dangling there is all. I charge the headlight and the main battery every night, so it's often unplugged from the light itself for charging. It's a great light at 1,200 lumens, but it really does drain the battery quickly.
1200 Lumens! Whoof!!! That's a LOT of light. Ha! I imagine it drains batteries quickly. Now I understand why you wanted to use the main battery to power a light. :)

Last edited:

J.P.

I haven't had a chance to ride much lately, so I'm not sure how different the speed readings will be. So far, I have not adjusted the tire size on the lcd. I'll do some comparing with a gps and see if I need to make a change.

Let me know what you think of the tires! I sure like them.
Tires look good. Interesting to see any speed/handling gains. Please post differences. Thanks.

Christopher85083

Handling gains are superb. Just so much more stable and smooth.

Speed is 7% lower at the same cadence because of the reduced circumference. I'll be putting on an 11-32 cassette when I have a few minutes, and then I expect to gain most of that speed back.

MRk chalmers

Christopher... First impression was... What have I done! I found them way to firm and could not get into any decent rythmn. Hard to believe but thought it harder to ride! Whether a coincidence or not I adjusted the wheel diameter to 24 and the bike performed as well as previous. May be I just got use to it. I am certainly now pleased i did the change and beginning to enjoy the quiet riding. I have ordered a new cassette as I defo need to reduce the cadence. My commute is 22 miles total with a couple of minor climbs. Interesting tonight I had 3 bars remaining versus 2 with the old tyres although i have altered my route a little with fewer 4 ways to contend with. Mdc