Mid-drive fat tire bike for a big guy!

FlatSix911

I used to get broken spokes all the time. (Sapim 13 gauge)
So I got the news spokes, DT Swiss 14 gauge.

Why skinnier spokes?

Because I read an article how spokes need to "flex" so that it doesn't break right away.
In summary, it mentioned that rigidity does not equal strength, and 14 gauge spokes are better than less flexible 13 gauge spokes.
No broken spokes ever since.

However, I think it is up to the point... because if you look at Harley-Davidson motorcycles, obviously they have a thick solid spokes.

If you watch Urban Freeride, I think well built wheels can sustain lots of impact.

Love that video... it never gets old! ;)

Sunfox

Thanks for all the tips guys! Its helping me narrow down to what I want, and what’ll hopefully work. My budget is fairly fixed at $4500 CDN as I also have to get my wife a bike, and she wants us to match, so I’m basically doubling any price already.

Is a suspension fork with lockout a viable option? I do figure I’ll be changing out whatever seat is installed for a fat butt edition (lol), and maybe seatpost...

edit: forgot to mention that the terrain will be mostly “rolling hills”. Oak Ridges Moraine region for anyone in the Toronto area. So no mountains, and nothing like San Francisco, but things are rarely flat for long.

Last edited:

rich c

Thanks for all the tips guys! Its helping me narrow down to what I want, and what’ll hopefully work. My budget is fairly fixed at $4500 CDN as I also have to get my wife a bike, and she wants us to match, so I’m basically doubling any price already.

Is a suspension fork with lockout a viable option? I do figure I’ll be changing out whatever seat is installed for a fat butt edition (lol), and maybe seatpost...

edit: forgot to mention that the terrain will be mostly “rolling hills”. Oak Ridges Moraine region for anyone in the Toronto area. So no mountains, and nothing like San Francisco, but things are rarely flat for long.
I doubt if you will find an air shock fork rated for your weight, and a spring fork will basically be useless. I weigh 245 and a spring fork I ride barely does anything compared to the air fork on my emtb.

AHicks

So you would likely be fine with a 750+ watt geared hub, as well as a larger mid drive.

I would think the lock out might be a good plan. Depending on you terrain/riding conditions, I wouldn't be real surprised if you told me you set your forks to full and got some suspension. My cheapo sprung forks work great (for my purposes), and they aren't at full tension (yet).

Suspension seat post to support your weight might be a challenge. I thought I was doing good getting one to fit my weight (315). Worth the trouble if you can find one for sure.

Throttle highly recommended on whatever you get.

J.R.

Is a suspension fork with lockout a viable option?
No, not for your weight. The name "lockout" was poorly chosen, likely by the sales and promotion department. It doesn't really lockout and some parts are actually under more stress while the lockout is engaged.

This is a RockShox Revelation. Mid range fork, ~$500, and better than some of the forks on bikes noted above. Not a long video and will help you understand what's going on inside the fork.

A lot of small parts and seals. Not easy to fix and an expensive part to replace. A good rigid steel fork is fifty bucks +/-.