Mid-Drive motor commuter bike

ElevenAD

That motor is probably real overkill for a city bike in any place that's not hilly like San Francisco or Seattle. It's torque output is huge....
overkill is a myth dang it! one way to prevent buyers remorse is to purchase a bike that does what you want and then some...trust me. i have always gone above and beyond what i need and i have never had the desire to sell my bikes! my good buddy on the other hand purchased what he thought he needed and within the first year he realized he should have went with a more powerful motor and a bigger battery. i think your more likely to grow into a bike like the RX before you outgrow it.

ElevenAD

The Rize MD looks like suuuuper good value but has a 32kph (20mph) max speed! That is very uncool, since it looks they charge a 800-1000CAD premium for access to the full legal speed in BC.

I'm curious how good the pedal assist is on the Rize RX and RX Pro is? Is it a torque sensor or cadence sensor? My Shred is a BB torque sensor which is 🤌. But if its a cheaper cadence sensor this bike seems expensive.
the Pedal assist on the RX is Torque sensor, i can only really compare it to the torque sensor on my hubmotor cruiser and to me it feels the same! not sure how it stacks up to other middrive torque sensors.

tomjasz

I sold all of my BBSHD motors and resurrected 36v 250w and 350w BBS01/BBS01B motors. In my case I bought more than I needed.

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
yup! there are very few stepthru designs that i trust at my size! 6/3 235/240lbs.
I think some step thoughs are very likely sturdier than others, but I have the same thought, even with knowing I'll never be pushing it hard. At 70 years old, and 6'2"/315, I'm realizing full well there may come a day when I'm no longer able to get a leg over that seat, and I'll be forced into a step though or to stop riding. That's an easy call to make. When I'm gone, pretty sure my heirs will be dealing with an e-bike or 2..... step through or not! -Al

SpartyOn11

Region
USA
I sold all of my BBSHD motors and resurrected 36v 250w and 350w BBS01/BBS01B motors. In my case I bought more than I needed.
@tomjasz what do you mean by this? Are you saying the BBSHD is a bad motor (M620)? I am looking at the Dost vs Rize and am leaning towards the Rize RX but that has the M620 motor.

ElevenAD

I think some step thoughs are very likely sturdier than others, but I have the same thought, even with knowing I'll never be pushing it hard. At 70 years old, and 6'2"/315, I'm realizing full well there may come a day when I'm no longer able to get a leg over that seat, and I'll be forced into a step though or to stop riding. That's an easy call to make. When I'm gone, pretty sure my heirs will be dealing with an e-bike or 2..... step through or not! -Al
I saw a guy on the Rize FB owners group whose Leisure Stepthru snapped in half last week.

ElevenAD

Thanks for that clarification. I assume the Ultra is better? Thoughts on the Ultra?

@ElevenAD can you imagine just riding along and your bike falls in half :oops:
My thoughts on the Ultra is that it is the greatest motor ever!
I imagine the Rider who broke the frame was probably riding on some type of rough terrain when it happened, but yeah i dont trust some of the stepthru bikes i see these days!
Luckily Rize dont use this frame design anymore!

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
My thoughts on the Ultra is that it is the greatest motor ever!
I imagine the Rider who broke the frame was probably riding on some type of rough terrain when it happened, but yeah i dont trust some of the stepthru bikes i see these days!
Luckily Rize dont use this frame design anymore!
Same thoughts here. Makes little difference what their weight rating is, if it doesn't look like a really sturdy design, I'm not going to trust it. As regarding my weight (over 300), I have no plans that would include a step through design. That said, my wife, on her first step through bike ever, LOVES hers (Espin Flow) once we got it all straightened out/set up the way we like them....... (spoiled that way).

Point being, I don't think a step through can be judged as an entire class. Too many variables. Each step through needs to be judged on it's own.

Last edited:

ElevenAD

Same thoughts here. Makes little difference what their weight rating is, if it doesn't look like a really sturdy design, I'm not going to trust it. As regarding my weight (over 300), I have no plans that would include a step through design. That said, my wife, on her first step though bike ever, LOVES hers (Espin Flow) once we got it all straightened out/set up the way we like them....... (spoiled that way).

Point being, I don't think a step through can be judged as an entire class. Too many variables. Each step through needs to be judged on it's own.
I agree some look safe and others not so much, that's why I was sure to say some, I don't want to lump them all together. I actually really like the New Cyrusher Kamota!