Mid-drive vs hub motor: Experiences

tomjasz

Yes a direct drive may be great once it reaches speed but on a commute there are a lot of starts and stops sometimes. Do you think you could get 25 miles going 20 to 22 on flat surfaces using a 36v 500 watt battery? Like I use on my Bosch in full assist?
This is a silly thread and comparison. It's about where and how you ride. But after testing the Bosch and Yamaha drives, well keep them. No throttle and simply anemic after riding a Bafang mid-drive. Nearly every version is quicker than Bosch and it's competition. Repairable for DIY. In the end, I've transitioned to MAC hubs 42T X 20T single speed. I could dial it up to do wheelies, instead, it's just quick to get up to speed. Cruise control is sweet! It can also be a battery miser.

Trail Cruiser

Yes a direct drive may be great once it reaches speed but on a commute there are a lot of starts and stops sometimes. Do you think you could get 25 miles going 20 to 22 on flat surfaces using a 36v 500 watt battery? Like I use on my Bosch in full assist?

Going 20-22 mph on my direct drive, I could barely reach 20 miles on my 417.6 wh battery. I used to do 25 mile round trip and carry a spare battery to switch halfway along the trip.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

This is a silly thread and comparison. It's about where and how you ride. But after testing the Bosch and Yamaha drives, well keep them. No throttle and simply anemic after riding a Bafang mid-drive. Nearly every version is quicker than Bosch and it's competition. Repairable for DIY. In the end, I've transitioned to MAC hubs 42T X 20T single speed. I could dial it up to do wheelies, instead, it's just quick to get up to speed. Cruise control is sweet! It can also be a battery miser.
Don’t need a throttle and I don’t need to extra power and the cost I weight and batteries it requires. I much rather have the efficiency reliability and the range.

Mr. Coffee

Region
USA
City
A Demented Corner of the North Cascades
I'm going to propose Mister Coffee's Law:

Any discussion thread on EBR eventually becomes a discussion mid-drives versus hub drives. Once this transformation happens no further constructive conversation is possible.

The vast majority of posters on this site only have experience with one e-bike. So they are poorly placed to offer constructive opinions on this topic, one way or the other. A lot of the posts on a thread like this are really statements that what the poster purchased is obviously the best. Which oozes self-justification and availability bias.

So my advice to readers of this thread is not to expect any deep insights. The best way to figure this stuff out is to get out and ride.