Mini 4 headset loose?

Steevwatson

Hi
My partner has asked me to have a look at her radmini. It's makeing a knocking or creaking nose from somewhere along the forks or headset. I thought at first it could be s cable knocking or a loose bolt. I've made sure everything is tightened and cables are not rubbing.
My next thought is it could be the headset but I'm not sure I've attached a video below if anyone can help identify the problem. If it is the headset how do I go about tightening it and checking it being loose hasn't damaged the bearings?
Thanks

Timpo

Hi
My partner has asked me to have a look at her radmini. It's makeing a knocking or creaking nose from somewhere along the forks or headset. I thought at first it could be s cable knocking or a loose bolt. I've made sure everything is tightened and cables are not rubbing.
My next thought is it could be the headset but I'm not sure I've attached a video below if anyone can help identify the problem. If it is the headset how do I go about tightening it and checking it being loose hasn't damaged the bearings?
Thanks
There's no video attached.

Steevwatson

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what happened to the video maybe a file format issue. I would say I definitely have a headset problem. I folded the handlebars over and went to loosen the topcap bolt and it came away in my hand. My partner told me afterwards that someone at work who supposedly knows about bikes had a look at her for her a few days ago. Looks like he's tightened the bolt so much it's torn the treaded part right out of the star nut 🙈 so that will need replacing. He took the headset bearings out too and cleaned them but then dropped everything. He things he's put it all back in the right order so I had better check that too while I'm replacing the star nut. I'd usually take everything out and take pics of the order it's in and then lay it out in order but I can't do that here. So I'll post pics of the headset and just double check it's all in the correct order before it goes back in.
FB_IMG_1613911950475.jpg

Steevwatson

So..... I've taken the top and bottom bearings out. If things are how I think they should he had the top and the bottom bearings the both in the top 🙈. Also virtually no grease. I'll attach a pic of how I believe everything should do. The crown race is still attached to the forks and the top and bottom cups are still attached to the frame.

Pic is on order if what foes in first. Top at the top and bottom at the bottom.

Attachments

• PXL_20210221_191645574.jpg
    PXL_20210221_191645574.jpg
    920.9 KB · Views: 17

Timpo

So..... I've taken the top and bottom bearings out. If things are how I think they should he had the top and the bottom bearings the both in the top 🙈. Also virtually no grease. I'll attach a pic of how I believe everything should do. The crown race is still attached to the forks and the top and bottom cups are still attached to the frame.

Pic is on order if what foes in first. Top at the top and bottom at the bottom.
no grease? that's not good 😲

Timpo

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what happened to the video maybe a file format issue. I would say I definitely have a headset problem. I folded the handlebars over and went to loosen the topcap bolt and it came away in my hand. My partner told me afterwards that someone at work who supposedly knows about bikes had a look at her for her a few days ago. Looks like he's tightened the bolt so much it's torn the treaded part right out of the star nut 🙈 so that will need replacing. He took the headset bearings out too and cleaned them but then dropped everything. He things he's put it all back in the right order so I had better check that too while I'm replacing the star nut. I'd usually take everything out and take pics of the order it's in and then lay it out in order but I can't do that here. So I'll post pics of the headset and just double check it's all in the correct order before it goes back in. View attachment 79624
I don't know if you can remove starnut by pushing it all the way down.

I tried it before, but ended up pushing it in angle, causing it getting jammed in the tube.

Here's the video I found

Timpo

Also, do you have a proper starnut tool?

I tried this procedure, I know this guy did it, but it didn't work for me.
I just ended up installing it sideways.. it was very hard to keep it straight.

Steevwatson

Quick update. I've replaced the star nut. I pushed the old one all the way down and out the bottom using a mallet and large screwdriver. I got a replacement star nut and borrowed a starnut tool from a neighbor so that made life easier. I can see it being a nightmare to install otherwise. I cleaned and lubed the bearings and put everything back together.

The knocking is still there. It looks like the steerer tube is only about 2mm from the top of the headset so when the topcap is tightened it touches the steerer tube before it is tight enough. I'll grab another spacer tomorrow and give that a try.