Moustache Xroad 2 2020 low step 625W

TrevorB

Just bought this bike for wife. The local distributor ordered them with 625Wh battery and 4A charger, great combination for touring which these bikes excel at.
Has gen4 65nm Performance line motor, not much difference in power to my gen3 CX. This Performance Line supports eMTB mode which I had them enable. Great for inner city riding where you need instant power, but it won't bite like Turbo can in tight situations.

9spd speed range is fine for commuting and cheap to maintain, may upgrade to 10spd 11-40cassette in future along with brakes. MT200 ok but differently entry level brakes, most likely fit Deore M6000s as cheap enough and excellent brakes.
Impressed with headlight, bright and excellent spread, big improvement on her old ebikes, which had same 30lux but narrower beam.

Will update later once my wife has done few kms.

fxr3

Looking forward to review. Take a pic too please because internet search shows dozens of different bikes, most very attractive and would be contenders for my next ebike. Thanks, Barry

TrevorB

Sorry no photo buts its same as one on Moustache webpage.

200kms and no problems. Bike is all we hope for with no surprises. Fast agile bike capable of handle grade 2-3 single track and rough fireroads while stilling being comfortable long distance tourer and excellent commuter. Think of it as ebike equivalent of SUV. 625wh battery means 80-100km days aren't problem without lunch time topup. We typically target 50-70km.

Hill climbing is excellent not much in it compared to and my old gen2 CX. Definitely quieter and smoother. Bosch has finally made walk mode work as expected, wish they would offer SW upgrade fix on gen2 motors.

Fitted Suntour NCX suspension seat post (highly recommended) and seat from old bike. Wife preferred old seat which she had done 6000kms on without a problem.

Brakes definitely need upgrading to Deores , not as good as Magura hydraulic rims brakes on her Reptila 900. Will also change to 10spd with 11-42 cassette, nice have extra low gear for odd tight uphill sections as it gives wife better control.

While being excellent bike it is overpriced for what you get, but unfortunately there just isn't lot options for low step touring bikes this capable offroad. Go to diamond frame and there are lot more choices and better value for money.

May eventually buy one for myself.

TrevorB

I had shop add frame lock. Ordered Deore brakes which should make quite difference. We do lot of hill riding hence need for better brakes. By time I finish will be close to xroad 5 spec but quite bit cheaper.

TrevorB

Upgraded gears to SLX 10s with 11-42t cassette, derailleur and shifters were taken from my low use manual bike. The extra low 42t will be rarely used but nice to have for steep 4wd tracks.

TrevorB

Fitted the Deore 2 pot brakes, big improvement in performance and feel. Kept rear MT200 hose as Deore was to short and hassle to replace. Deore is better quality hose but braking seems fine and don't feel need to upgrade to 180mm disc.

TrevorB

Also went tubeless. Not straight forward like on my MTBs, took lot to seal tyres had lot of minor leaks around rim. Time seem to be best fix, reinflated few times over couple days and spun wheel to spread sealant around.