NCM Moscow+ from 3x8 to 1x10 and it is awesome!

jkvt

Yup, my chain deteriorated to the point of falling apart with the plating flaking off. I should have
changed if 500 mi. sooner. I had cleaned & lubed it several times. Then again, I ride in wet, grimy
conditions most of the time.
Alright, well I'm glad it's not just me. I might start using the ceramic lube and see if that holds up better since it shouldn't attract as much dirt.

KuRi

Same here... the chain lasts only for about 500km... I think it is because of the weight of the bike. Now I am trying an ebike specific chain that is working much better and longer.

john peck

Same here... the chain lasts only for about 500km... I think it is because of the weight of the bike. Now I am trying an ebike specific chain that is working much better and longer.
Mine lasted 2000 miles, but was coming apart literally. I´d get some spare 20mm x 30mm brake pads
too, if I were you. Better than a week of downtime waiting for them to arrive otherwise. Yeah a better
chain is definitely in order.

jkvt

I'm a little surprised these bikes put much strain on the chains. Since these are hub drive, they should only be strained by as much work as you are putting into pedaling. Unless you're really pushing, above and beyond what the assist wants to set the bike speed at, I wouldn't expect much wear since there otherwise wouldn't be much tension on the chain. The said I'm fairly new to the mechanics of all this so I could be overlooking something.

Now - as for mid-drive, from what I am told by a friend who has been on one, those seem to wreck the drivetrain. Lots of tension on the chain, even when it's shifting.

RJC

I'm a little surprised these bikes put much strain on the chains. Since these are hub drive, they should only be strained by as much work as you are putting into pedaling. Unless you're really pushing, above and beyond what the assist wants to set the bike speed at, I wouldn't expect much wear since there otherwise wouldn't be much tension on the chain. The said I'm fairly new to the mechanics of all this so I could be overlooking something.

Now - as for mid-drive, from what I am told by a friend who has been on one, those seem to wreck the drivetrain. Lots of tension on the chain, even when it's shifting.
Iv'e done 2000 miles since June 2020, chain still in good working order. Moscow 27.5
Cleaned and lubed after every ride.

Decrepidude

Region
Canada
I switched from the original 3x8 to 1x10 drivetrain and it is a fantastic change!

Less weight, less controls and cables, easier to drive and enough ratios!

You will need:
- a single chainring (narrow wide to keep the chain in its place safely, I never had a problem. I suggest a 32T but you can use 32,34,36... You can keep the shimano crankset or upgrade to something more specific. The shimano worked well but I decided to get something new :)
- new chain (10 speed)
- new shifter (I used shimano deore)
- new derailleur (i used shimano deore m6000)
- new freewheel (the best option is the sunrace 11-36, because it is the only with a 36t sprocket, but you can go with the dnp 11-34 if it is enough for you, cheaper and easier to fit). The sunrace 11-36 is a tight fit and you will need to add a spacer to the right side to get some clearance from the frame and 2mm spacer between the motor and the freewheel because of the shape of the sunrace freewheel.
- I also replaced the last section of the hose cable for a better fit.

The picture is with the DNP 11-34, but I have recently replaced it with the sunrace 11-36 10speed

You could also keep a 1x8 configuration, but 11-32 is not enough for me because I do a lot of climbing. (there are however some 13-34t 8 speed freewheels out there)

If you need help on the procedure please let me know!
I've been thinking along the same lines, but don't have the resources to go big... I was considering going to a 1x9 using the same derailleur but replacing the freewheel and the shifter. I don't do any humongous hills so really don't need anything taller than 32T, and would end up with identical range, just a little more gradient. In the meantime I might just remove the small and large rings from the chainring and see how I like it. ultimate goal for me is to shed as much weight as I can, because I have to hump my bike down 3 flights and up again every time I ride (bad neighborhood, it wouldn't last a minute locked up outside, regardless of my alarm).