Need help deciding on 2nd bike

PatriciaK

I was thinking about Aventon, too. Though a lot of folks don't like the initial "kick" of PAS one or throttle, it seems...

Last edited:

Augiesma

Have you ever heard of Electric Bike Company?

Model M (Mini)

Model S

Model Y

and if you like the custom color

accessories
Thanks for this info. I am now leaning toward the EBC model R.. debating about whether or not to get the gears.

Timpo

Thanks for this info. I am now leaning toward the EBC model R.. debating about whether or not to get the gears.
If you're not sure, and if you don't have a budget right now. Get a single speed and see if you like it or not.

If you don't, add 7 speed later on, assuming that frame is identical (by watching the video, I think they are)

Adding 7 speed is not hard, and it has freewheel, not cassette, which tends to be cheaper.

Watch @ 4:33 in this video.
Clearly, they have left a space to install 7 speed freewheel.

To do the 7 speed conversion, here's what you need.

Doing 7 speed conversion is NOT expensive.

7 speed freewheel

7 speed shifter

cable kit

and maybe some zip ties and miscellaneous stuff

tomjasz

If you don't, add 7 speed later on, assuming that frame is identical (
OUCH! I was fooled once and thought the same. (different bike) the single-speed had no derailleur attachment. It collects dust in the corner of my shop. POS fatty!

Timpo

OUCH! I was fooled once and thought the same. (different bike) the single-speed had no derailleur attachment. It collects dust in the corner of my shop. POS fatty!
Okay but will the derailleur hanger be attached on the Model R?

and Angiesma, yeah you will need derailleur hanger, assuming the derailleur hanger will fit on the single speed frame.

Timpo

Okay so I just looked at the photos and they're hard to tell, I think the best bet is to ask Electric Bike Company to make sure that 7 speed can be added later on. You may not need the derailleur hanger, it might attach directly onto the frame, but I am not sure.

Either way, if they do have the identical frame, adding 7 speed isn't hard.

tomjasz

Okay so I just looked at the photos and they're hard to tell, I think the best bet is to ask Electric Bike Company to make sure that 7 speed can be added later on. You may not need the derailleur hanger, it might attach directly onto the frame, but I am not sure.

Either way, if they do have the identical frame, adding 7 speed isn't hard.
All a matter of skill or interest level. Most here aren't prepared for the adventure. If you've ever scratch built an eBike you'd know there are all sorts of pitfalls.

Timpo

All a matter of skill or interest level. Most here aren't prepared for the adventure. If you've ever scratch built an eBike you'd know there are all sorts of pitfalls.
Any bicycle shop can install this no problem and it will be a quick and easy job.

The points are,

1) The 7 speed option may not need to be decided at this point.
2) If needed, it can be added on for a very reasonable cost. (won't be very costly)

tomjasz

Any bicycle shop can install this no problem and it will be a quick and easy job.

The points are,

1) The 7 speed option may not need to be decided at this point.
2) If needed, it can be added on for a very reasonable cost. (won't be very costly)
I guess, since you have experience with adding a derailleur, I default to you and your experience.

PatriciaK

Looks like a very nice bike! You said you didn't want the wide handlebars - is there another option with this bike?

If I weren't pretty much absolutely sure I'd only be riding on flat terrain, I'd get the gears 😉.

Augiesma

Looks like a very nice bike! You said you didn't want the wide handlebars - is there another option with this bike?

If I weren't pretty much absolutely sure I'd only be riding on flat terrain, I'd get the gears 😉.
EBC said there is no other option for the handlebars but they can be swapped out. The problem is there is no EBC dealer in NY. Does anyone reading this actually have this bike? Someone on another bike forum said this bike weighs 100 lbs without basket or back rack?!

PatriciaK

EBC said there is no other option for the handlebars but they can be swapped out. The problem is there is no EBC dealer in NY. Does anyone reading this actually have this bike? Someone on another bike forum said this bike weighs 100 lbs without basket or back rack?!
EBC site says 56 lbs with battery... About the same as my La Free. Screenshot_20201230-182436.png