New controller install and test - Pace 500

Rickey Ricardo

Received the new throttle on demand display and controller yesterday, installed this morning then went for a quick ride. First my impression of the new feel and then a couple of notes on the installation. It was a pleasant surprise to see that waking the electronics brings the bike to PAS 0. I had not seen this documented, and to me it is a notable improvement. When set to PAS 1, the famous "lurch" is now more like a noticeable nudge. With factory settings, top speed seems to have been lowered just a bit, too. For me it was around 11 mph instead of the previous 12. Both PAS 1 and 2 have the gentler pedal response, when I went to PAS 3 there was more of a kick. PAS 1 and 2 seemed about 30% less jumpy. The throttle on demand feature worked like a charm. It totally removes the daunting part of being stopped at the bottom of a steep hill. Is it all worth the price of admission? To me, yes. This is my wife's bike, and she never felt comfortable on it. The learning curve has been slightly flattened. I wish Aventon had backed off PAS 1 even more, and lowered the top speed. They could also improve the electronic interface to make software updates via the data port and to allow riders some customization of the power curve. Nevertheless, I'm glad for this update and think it starts to bring the electronics of the Pace 500 up to the level of its mechanical components and build.

The removal of old components and installation of new took me about an hour. I looked over the clear instructions that were provided via email when I purchased the components and figured I could do it myself (despite Aventon "vehemently" insisting that a professional be hired). The only tools needed are a 3mm hex wrench, a small philips head screwdriver and possibly a flat head screwdriver. I also used two pair of pliers to help prise apart the cable connections. Do the job in good light! A headlamp helps. The only two minor issues came in threading the motor cable through the hole in the down tube and in cable management in the tight down tube space. Aventon's instructions and photos are clear, I have only posted a picture of how I managed the threading of the motor cable through the down tube hole without removing the rubber grommet. Remember to install the new controller with cable on top (when in doubt read the instructions :)), and be prepared to push and pull cables a bit to get the battery tray cover back on.

The trickiest part of the job is threading the cable through the hole in the down tube. Although Aventon suggests removing the rubber grommet, I found it was not necessary. What worked for me was to lay the bike on its side and insert a long screwdriver gently through the hole from the bottom. Next I attached the motor cable to the screwdriver tip using tape (directly on top of it, not side by side). Then by both pulling the screwdriver while pushing the cable I was able to get the cable end to the edge of the hole before the tape came off. I pulled it the rest of the way through with needle nose pliers. There must be lots of ways to undertake this fishing expedition, this is just one.

Ride on!

pace1.jpg
pace2.jpg

Bigal1463

Thanks very much for the review And Karoo for Aventon. I’m looking for to the switch and grateful that Aventon listened and responded. Their product and the people running the show are top notch.

GenXrider

Received the new throttle on demand display and controller yesterday, installed this morning then went for a quick ride. First my impression of the new feel and then a couple of notes on the installation. It was a pleasant surprise to see that waking the electronics brings the bike to PAS 0. I had not seen this documented, and to me it is a notable improvement. When set to PAS 1, the famous "lurch" is now more like a noticeable nudge. With factory settings, top speed seems to have been lowered just a bit, too. For me it was around 11 mph instead of the previous 12. Both PAS 1 and 2 have the gentler pedal response, when I went to PAS 3 there was more of a kick. PAS 1 and 2 seemed about 30% less jumpy. The throttle on demand feature worked like a charm. It totally removes the daunting part of being stopped at the bottom of a steep hill. Is it all worth the price of admission? To me, yes. This is my wife's bike, and she never felt comfortable on it. The learning curve has been slightly flattened. I wish Aventon had backed off PAS 1 even more, and lowered the top speed. They could also improve the electronic interface to make software updates via the data port and to allow riders some customization of the power curve. Nevertheless, I'm glad for this update and think it starts to bring the electronics of the Pace 500 up to the level of its mechanical components and build.
Does the new controller and display in PAS 1 increase power when you drop below 11 mph and then reduce power when you go above 11 mph, sort of like it's got a speed threshold like a cruise control, or does the bike maintain consistent power if you pedal faster than that? With the Ride1Up 700, the old models used to be speed based for PAS, but newer models maintain a consistent amount of power regardless of your speed or hwo fast you pedal. I'm curious how the Aventon new controller/display compares in that respect.

Rickey Ricardo

Does the new controller and display in PAS 1 increase power when you drop below 11 mph and then reduce power when you go above 11 mph, sort of like it's got a speed threshold like a cruise control, or does the bike maintain consistent power if you pedal faster than that? With the Ride1Up 700, the old models used to be speed based for PAS, but newer models maintain a consistent amount of power regardless of your speed or hwo fast you pedal. I'm curious how the Aventon new controller/display compares in that respect.
It seems to have a speed threshold, it's human-powered above that speed.

BigNerd

Unlike GenXRider, I prefer the speed limited PAS.

I feel it’s conserves power better and gives you more granular control of the power output if the cadence sensor is true cadence triggered.

I believe the Aventon had a voltage output setting, does it fluctuate based on your pedal cadence?

Rickey Ricardo

I am only aware of the speed-based PAS setting, which I set at the lowest speed for my wife's use; with the new controller it makes the Pace 500 mannerly for new riders.

AdamT

Region
USA
Thanks, Rickey. I guess you can only adjust the top speed. Question is ... does that affect the speeds in levels 1-4? In other words, if I reduce the max speed to 20mph, will there be a relative reduction in the other levels? I suppose I should just test it and find out myself. :)

GenXrider

It's like a cruise control, like the Espin. I really prefer the power based PAS that doesn't cut out at a certain speed making it feel like you're dragging a boat anchor or unnecessarily crank the power so high when you go up a hill draining your battery and giving an unnatural feeling to pedaling. With my Ride1Up, it maintains a consistent power output in a given PAS level. It won't cut out power unless you pedal it up to 28 mph. I was hoping Aventon would make that change as well as Espin, but it looks like they haven't.