New Haibike Sduro 4.0 Trekking - Yamaha PW-ST Motor Cuts Out

I have yet to make a full thread for my bike, because I keep running into random issues lol.

The latest: as I've been riding around testing out seat heights, different saddles, etc, I've noticed that the motor keeps cutting out. I will be riding and then suddenly the display turns off, assist stops, and I get a soft "clunk" from the pedals/cranks, telling me that the motor stopped engaging with the cranks.

Not sure what's happening. I took it on a 1 mile "loop" today and had 5 cutouts. It happens at all assist levels, on smooth ground, and both when turning and while riding in a straight line. I took the battery out, cleaned all connections, checked the charge, etc - everything appears to be working, but it keeps randomly shutting off mid-pedal, and I can't find a set of circumstances that reliably replicates the issue. Odometer is at 5 miles; bummer to have this happening right away on a new bike.

2 other misc issues:
  • rear wheel is slightly out of alignment (likely needs to be re-dished/spokes adjusted since it's all good in the dropouts)
  • handlebars are slightly off-center compared to the front wheel (i.e. front wheel angles slightly left when handlebars are dead-forward)

I really love how the bike feels and runs...when it's working. I've opened a warranty claim with Haibike. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Brooks

Take it back to where you bought it.
Sound like intermittent electric connection somewhere. Drop the motor and check connections? Is your magnet on the rear spoke properly adjusted?

Take it back to where you bought it.
I would, but I'm in CA and the seller is in WI. Hopefully Haibike gets back to me and is okay covering the cost of taking it to a local dealer.
The magnet is aligned. Haven't dropped the motor yet but that's next I guess.

rich c

I would, but I'm in CA and the seller is in WI. Hopefully Haibike gets back to me and is okay covering the cost of taking it to a local dealer.
I have yet to read about Haibike getting back to anyone. They have a dealer network, and that is the first contact point. Haibike only wants to talk to dealers. Find the nearest dealer or call where you purchased it as a first contact.

I have yet to read about Haibike getting back to anyone. They have a dealer network, and that is the first contact point. Haibike only wants to talk to dealers. Find the nearest dealer or call where you purchased it as a first contact.
I've emailed the seller/dealer asking for help as well

Johnny

Since Display turns off it may be loose battery(or a connection problem), does it happen when you go over bumps ?

When I had a question Haibike's distributor got back to me in a couple of days.

FlatSix911

I would call Crazy Lenny and ask him to make it right... 😉

Update: took out the motor, checked all connections, put it back. It's working better with less cutouts now. Makes me think things are loose in a few places. Going to try using some conductivity gel on all connectors and foam taping all the wires/connectors to the frame. Bummer to have to do this on a new bike. Both Haibike USA and Crazy Lennys have been radio silent since Monday of this week.

byunbee

Which Haibike model did you buy? I also have a Haibike and have not experience any issues. I’m sure there are Haibike dealers in CA. Warranty claims don’t need to necessarily go through the same vendor where you purchased the bike. Any authorized dealer should be able to do warranty claims.

Which Haibike model did you buy? I also have a Haibike and have not experience any issues. I’m sure there are Haibike dealers in CA. Warranty claims don’t need to necessarily go through the same vendor where you purchased the bike. Any authorized dealer should be able to do warranty claims.
yeah I know, but I just haven't gotten a reply. Hoping I can get a reply before the return window closes from Crazy Lennys, because if this turns into a saga, I'm worried I'm going to be hosed. I just want it to work!

I got a whole bunch of Haibike specific XLS accessories from Europe and am totally set up to go...just need the bike to do the same lol. My model is the 2020 Sduro Trekking 4.0

The LBS I took the bike to also told me both wheels are out of true, and one has loose spokes. So I gotta do that too.

byunbee

Bicycle Blue book had the 2019 Haibike Sduro Trekking S 9.0 (their top of the line model) in medium frame for $2800 few days ago. I believe it’s $2000 off retail. That one is gone now but they still have the lower bar version in xsmall for a bit higher at around $3200 I think. If you can get a refund, that maybe better bet. But since I don’t know how much you paid for your 4.0, can’t really speak to whether it meets your budget.

I'd suggest you return the bike and see if there is another company you will be happier with.
CL charges 20% restocking, on top of a $220 return shipping fee so that puts me out about $750-800...hence my desire to make this work. :confused:

Would kind of suck to have a brand new bike that I like turned into a paperweight. I adore the Yamaha motor and it's a blast when it works!

I think the solution is going to unfortunately be throwing more money at the situation - getting the wheels aligned, trued, and re-dished, and the spokes adjusted. I'm going to tear all the electrical connections apart and put conductivity gel on them, tape them, and re-do as many cables as possible.

The electrical cutouts are the only thing that truly concerns me since that's out of the scope of most LBS techs and the one thing that makes the bike really what it is.

Last edited:

byunbee

Are there no Haibike dealers near you? Not sure why you should need to do all that if you can leave it to the dealer. You also void the warranty if you take the electrical connections apart. If you do decide to fix it yourself, it's probably better investment to just buy a truing stand and do it yourself. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. Watch some videos and read about spoke tensions.

Are there no Haibike dealers near you? Not sure why you should need to do all that if you can leave it to the dealer. You also void the warranty if you take the electrical connections apart. If you do decide to fix it yourself, it's probably better investment to just buy a truing stand and do it yourself. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. Watch some videos and read about spoke tensions.
no local dealers will do warranty work without explicit instruction from Haibike to do so, but since I can't get a reply from Haibike, I'm in limbo. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not trying to do this myself, I just currently don't have other options and I've already spent money out of pocket to take it to a LBS for diagnosis of the wheels and connections. That LBS is a Haibike dealer, but again, they won't do anything unless Haibike tells them to.

byunbee

no local dealers will do warranty work without explicit instruction from Haibike to do so, but since I can't get a reply from Haibike, I'm in limbo. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not trying to do this myself, I just currently don't have other options and I've already spent money out of pocket to take it to a LBS for diagnosis of the wheels and connections. That LBS is a Haibike dealer, but again, they won't do anything unless Haibike tells them to.
I’ve actually contacted Haibike couple of months ago to source a kickstand. They are slow in their response but they do eventually get back to you. I think there’s also a phone number that you can call.

Johnny

@TooMuchWitt Call the shop (instead of waiting for an email back) you got the bike from and explain the situation. They may be able to resolve this issue faster.

And let us know what they say.

Mike TowpathTraveler

@TooMuchWitt Call the shop (instead of waiting for an email back) you got the bike from and explain the situation. They may be able to resolve this issue faster.

And let us know what they say.
Agreed with the above advice.

I'll go out on a limb and say EBR is the #1 United States based ebike site with an active forum base for each particular manufacturers of ebikes, including Haibike. And the Haibike forum here is very, very active.

Whomever is running Haibike USA these days, as well as the owner of Crazy Lenny and his staff SHOULD BE DAILY MONITORING THIS SITE FOR PROBLEMS THAT ARISE SUCH AS THIS PROBLEM POSTED BY @TooMuchWitt AND IMMEDIATELY HELP THE EBIKE OWNER OUT. I'll repeat this again, Lenny and Haibike: US (even world wide) Haibike owners come here to commiserate with fellow owners; very much like the UK and DE pedelec forums do for Europe. It's really not hard to charge one of your staffers to monitor what goes on here on a daily basis, I do it. Others here do it as well. If you wish to grow the brand and foster a rep where customers know they'll be treated well after the sale goes through.....y'all will do the same.

Unlike the fictional Glen Garry Glen Ross, where the real estate staff is cranked up there to always A-B-C....Always Be Closing; it's also about making the customer happy to want to return back for a second or third or fourth sale. Not answering customer's emails, or not having some kind of partnered service agreement with other Haibike dealers to help long distance customers a few thousand miles away from Wisconsin should have been established a long time ago. You want to guarantee a non-second or third or fourth future sale? Continue on with this nonchalance towards a buyer who picked up a Haibike from you in good faith.

Haibike is a superior, well made, well engineered ebike. But the after sale support sure seems by reading these stories here; has a feel of some Alibaba, Chinese third world country vibe to it. The bike brand deserves so much more then this shoddy after sale service. Fans of the brand like myself could see this coming after owner Susanne Puello was forced out at Haibike a few years back, with the resultant US arm of Haibike becoming neglected to the point that the parent owner put the brand off to investment firm Regent. https://www.bicycleretailer.com/ind...-izip-regent-lp-mavics-new-owner#.XzB-WyhKhPY

Witt, as a Haibike owner, I feel your pain; but never had a chance to experience it first hand as you, both as a CL buyer of my Haibike and a 3 year plus Haibike owner.

My advice is to again contact CL as to advise on local help as it is not practical nor sane to pack and ship your bike to WI. Apparently HaibikeUSA does not wish to talk to owners; to that, their line of communication (lol) is between an authorized dealer and only an authorized dealer. Right now, on what you've reported, it sounds like a connection somewhere is not making full contact. But I fear you even poking in the downtube after dropping the motor (if you have already done this), will be a means for some folks in voiding your warranty from here on out, based on their non-responsiveness to help you up to this point.

Apologies for the rant. But this is not the first time us Haibike owners have read of this non-responsiveness both from Haibike USA and CL on this EBR forum.

Indeed, Witt, keep us posted as to what CL and Haibike does for your problem.