New Haibike Sduro 4.0 Trekking - Yamaha PW-ST Motor Cuts Out

BlackHand

The Haibike warranty language only gives 2 conditions to obtain warranty service:

TO OBTAIN SERVICE UNDER THIS WARRANTY, YOU MUST:
  1. Fill out a claim form on this site OR return your fully assembled Haibike bicycle to a Haibike Bicycles Authorized Dealer within the United States of America. A bicycle that has had the components removed cannot be evaluated or warranted.
  2. Provide proof of purchase, including but not limited to the retail bill of sale, your credit or debit card receipt, or other satisfactory proof of the date of purchase.
(I bolded the OR )

Yes, CL should coordinate with a dealer local to you. But they shouldn't have to. Your local dealers should be contacting Haibike not refusing to look at your bike until you do. You're still in the 30 day window for parts AND labor to be covered so the local dealer is not out anything other than more lucrative work they may have lined up.

My guess is Haibike support for dealers is just as hopeless as it is for end users, so the dealers don't want anything more to do with it than they need to.

byunbee

@BlackHand,

What year model is this for - 2020? Also, do you know whether this is a known issue (recall) that applies to all 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0? I ask, because I just purchase a brand new 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 (pulled the trigger online less than 5 minutes ago). 😓

@TooMuchWitt: What's the status on the dealer as well as Haibike USA contacting you since your last posting for your motor cutout issues?

Nearly a week had passed, so I called CL again, left a voicemail, and asked them to return the bike.

20 minutes later the service manager called me and said "Haibike requires only certified dealers to do any repairs. So, if you can find a local dealer that is willing, have them diagnose/fix the issue, pay them, and submit the receipt to us. We will reimburse you."

I think that's fair, considering the circumstances. Unfortunately I've called every dealer near me, and due to how busy everyone seems to be, they only service bikes that were sold through their own shop. If I want to bring it in, the earliest they have is mid-september.

Alternatively I can leave it with them for 2-3 weeks and if they have some spare time, they will look at my bike.

Needless to say, all those options sorta suck, but I get it, everything is upside down right now.

However, if I leave it there at the mechanic, my return window closes.

So, neither option is great.

In the spirit of wanting to feel confident around my own bike, I flipped it over, took apart and undid every electrical connection on the bike (it's a PAIN to get the battery lock back in, btw) and used electrical contact cleaner on EVERY connection. I then put dielectric grease on EVERY connection, and make sure that each connection was solid and secure (removed excess rubber "seal" material that was bunching up on a few connectors).

I took it out on a 3 mile ride today and no motor shut offs! Bonus - previously there was some "clunking" when hitting the pedals; it's now been reduced since tightening and greasing the motor mounts.

I also aligned the handlebars with the front wheel, since that was off-kilter when I received it.

Now I need to take it to a LBS that is less backed up and get the wheels aligned/trued (rear wheel is .5mm from the left side of the frame and 6(ish)mm from the right) and the derailleur adjusted, since I'm feeling resistance and occasional clicking when I'm certain gears.

im going to keep testing to see if any cutouts happen. I really think it was just a bad connection somewhere since there was no error code - it was just an instant cutout.

Oh, also still no reply from Haibike USA. And I had to threaten to return/chargeback the bike just to get a reply from CL. Doesn't bode well for future service needs...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mike TowpathTraveler

Witt, nice feedback and good on ya for digging into the situation and attending to some issues.

I'll suggest you go to youtube and look up the Park Tools website and type in derailleur adjustment. Calvin Jones, the head mechanic in most of those videos, does a great job explaining how to set the high and low adjustments as well as the barrel adjustment at your trigger shifter to set the indexing right. He breaks it down for us novices and makes it clear that anyone is capable of doing this, armed with their videos and information. It's what I did for my own Haibike Full FatSix, last month after changing out the front chain ring, chain, rear sprocket and installing a new derailleur (11k miles on my Full Fat6 and this stuff was in need of replacement due to normal wear).

I'm most sure they even have info on wheel truing.

Not impressed at all with Crazy L's lack of immediate response, but I feel they were fair in offering to pay for the warranty bill after repairs were made by a qualified Yamaha/Haibike tech. But especially not impressed by Haibike USA's non-response.

Any shop worth a hill of beans can fix the wheel truing situation for you.

Good luck, happy riding! Once you get that bike dialed in, I believe you are going to be very happy with the Yamaha edrive system. A shame things had to be off to a rocky start right out of the box for you.

Thanks Mike! I really like the bike and LOVE the Yamaha engine, which is why I'm so determined to get it sorted out and stuff.

I think, as a younger (relative to this forum) person, I'm still figuring out how "wild-west" the whole ebike situation is with dealers/manufactures, commission-based salespeople etc. I didn't realize how similar to buying a new car it was.

And, much like buying a new car, it sucks when you get it and it starts off on the wrong foot. On the plus side, it's easier (for me) to grasp than full disassembly of a car to troubleshoot something!

I'm hopeful things work out. And if it cuts out again, well, I guess I'm going to have to leave it with a dealer for a while and hope they get to it and can solve the issue. Either way, I'm hopeful. I just don't want to be out 3k for a bike that never works quite right.

On a positive note, I wasn't crazy about the paint scheme (with the red accents) so I used vinyl-wrap to remove the red off the bike, and it's turning out pretty cool. I'll make a thread once it's all done and I'm confident that the bike is here to stay ;)

Mike TowpathTraveler

Witt, I'm old enough to have experienced the moped craze in the late 70's as a means for younger people like myself to get around in a time when gas was going through those rationing days!

It seemed like everywhere, moped dealers were sprouting up like weeds to take advantage of a buying public eager to jump in. I was one of those young adults, buying my AMF Roadmaster out of a gas station. Here today, gone tomorrow! Engine parts; well I had to find a McCullouch chain saw dealer.

Haibike USA has that feel of those old moped days; here today, gone tomorrow. And it should not be cause the bike is just as good, maybe even better then the product sold by Trek or Giant or Specialized. But while those guys have established dealerships that take care of their customers. it seems Haibike has gone the route of the moped brands sold out of those gas stations! :rolleyes:

Get yourself a quarter inch drive torque wrench and sockets to fit it as well as the heads on those engine mount bolts. Retorque them to the torque spec inscribed on them; using anti-seize on the threads to prevent any issues removing them in the future.

Yamaha has a detailed service manual online for the PW drive, which is relatively similar to your engine drive; called the X94 service manual. It's on line and free to download. Not sure if they have a current manual devoted to your particular motor, but that X94 manual will have info pertinent to cross over to your motor.

BlackHand

Really glad to hear that you seem to have solved the cut out issue. It's nice to see someone not let a bad dealer/brand experience sour them on their bike.

Haibike is an established successful company, but the US distribution was sold to a different company a year or 2 ago and it sounds like they aren't interested in building the brand here.

Once you get the derailleur indexed the bike will be SO much more of a joy to ride.

BlackHand

@BlackHand,

What year model is this for - 2020? Also, do you know whether this is a known issue (recall) that applies to all 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0? I ask, because I just purchase a brand new 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 (pulled the trigger online less than 5 minutes ago). 😓
I have no firsthand knowledge, but it sounds like a random QC issue to me. Pretty much everything I know about the Trekking 4.0 is in this thread and the review posted by the other owner.

I have a 2019 Trekking 9.0 S myself. Other than the wheels being out of true the only other build quality problems I've had were a couple loose spokes and a few loose bolts here and there when I put it together.

FlatSix911

Witt, I'm old enough to have experienced the moped craze in the late 70's as a means for younger people like myself to get around in a time when gas was going through those rationing days! It seemed like everywhere, moped dealers were sprouting up like weeds to take advantage of a buying public eager to jump in. I was one of those young adults, buying my AMF Roadmaster out of a gas station. Here today, gone tomorrow! Engine parts; well I had to find a McCullouch chain saw dealer.

Haibike USA has that feel of those old moped days; here today, gone tomorrow. And it should not because the bike is just as good, maybe even better than the product sold by Trek or Giant or Specialized. But while those guys have established dealerships that take care of their customers. it seems Haibike has gone the route of the moped brands sold out of those gas stations! :rolleyes:

Get yourself a quarter-inch drive torque wrench and sockets to fit it as well as the heads on those engine mount bolts. Retorque them to the torque spec inscribed on them; using anti-seize on the threads to prevent any issues removing them in the future. Yamaha has a detailed service manual online for the PW drive, which is relatively similar to your engine drive; called the X94 service manual. It's online and free to download. Not sure if they have a current manual devoted to your particular motor, but that X94 manual will have info pertinent to cross over to your motor.

Thanks for posting... here is the link for the Yamaha EBike systems X94 service manual. ;)

1597291088331.png

Just an update - now going on for over a month, Haibike USA finally got back to me and each reply has been like pulling teeth. I still have no resolution whatsoever from them. They truly are the wrost company I've ever dealt with when trying to get any sort of reply and/or coverage. They make insurance companies seem stellar by comparison.

Crazy Lenny's offer to have the bike looked at by a local tech is still the closest to resolution I've received, but all local techs are booked out 1+ months. Thankfully, ever since taking it apart myself, there haven't been any further cutouts, so fingers crossed there. Now I'm getting a slight rumble, which I think may be from dry bearings, but I honestly dread having to bring it up to anyone, so I'll just hope it doesn't fall apart on me lol.

FlatSix911

Just an update - now going on for over a month, Haibike USA finally got back to me and each reply has been like pulling teeth. I still have no resolution whatsoever from them. They truly are the wrost company I've ever dealt with when trying to get any sort of reply and/or coverage. They make insurance companies seem stellar by comparison.

Crazy Lenny's offer to have the bike looked at by a local tech is still the closest to resolution I've received, but all local techs are booked out 1+ months. Thankfully, ever since taking it apart myself, there haven't been any further cutouts, so fingers crossed there. Now I'm getting a slight rumble, which I think may be from dry bearings, but I honestly dread having to bring it up to anyone, so I'll just hope it doesn't fall apart on me lol.

I would take CL's offer and have a local tech take a look... a case of good beer will move you to the front of the line at the LBS. ;)