6zfshdb

With Suspension Forks in the Front Why would one need A Suspension Stem ?

Not everyone does.

I was skeptical about seeing any improvement when I added a suspension stem (RedShift) to my Pedego Platinum Interceptor. The bike is equipped with Rockshox 30 Gold forks which do a great job of handling rough surface trails. The Rockshox aren't that good at dampening higher frequency vibration though. This is where I noticed the biggest improvement after adding the stem. The wrist numbness I experience during long rides has all but disappeared.

Again, not everyone will see an improvement though.

Steph

I'm getting mine tomorrow, I got the 7 degree, 120mm. It will going on my new Allant +8S Stagger. Should be fun :)
Got mine installed a few days ago, but with bad air quality I haven’t gotten a chance to ride around with it on. I have the 8S as well 😬.
Should mention you might need to get a 3MM spacer depending on how you stack the spacers. I have two 10MM spacers and then a 3MM spacer and then the stem on top.

Attachments

• 4CDBAE9F-2CE7-4809-9221-B26C2F10A15B.jpeg
    4CDBAE9F-2CE7-4809-9221-B26C2F10A15B.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 111
  • F6CF91B6-619A-45C0-8253-04D73C1D8DCB.jpeg
    F6CF91B6-619A-45C0-8253-04D73C1D8DCB.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 105
  • FF027976-BB9A-42CB-8135-245C558488E5.jpeg
    FF027976-BB9A-42CB-8135-245C558488E5.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 99
Got mine installed a few days ago, but with bad air quality I haven’t gotten a chance to ride around with it on. I have the 8S as well 😬.
Should mention you might need to get a 3MM spacer depending on how you stack the spacers. I have two 10MM spacers and then a 3MM spacer and then the stem on top.
Thanks for the info, will be looking forward to the install and checkout ride 🥳

bob armani

I recently upgraded my Selle Royal saddle with a Brooks Cambium C17 and changed out the Suntour seatpost with a Redshift Shockstop seatpost. I have to say very impressed with both, a comfortable seat and no more jarring vibrations on some of the poorly maintained roads in my area. Also, the Redshift looks really sleek on the bike, compared to the other brands such as Thudbuster and Kinect.
Yes, that is what caught my attention right away with the Redshift design, not to mention many positive reviews!

expat

I was afraid of that, having to move the light. I'm not a fan of that light anyway, though. I wonder what options are out there that might have an offset mount, or split like the cobi computer (another part I'm not a fan of)

Steph

I was afraid of that, having to move the light. I'm not a fan of that light anyway, though. I wonder what options are out there that might have an offset mount, or split like the cobi computer (another part I'm not a fan of)
Agreed... I am trying to look up options to see what I can do in addition and try to either change it to something that I can control more or finding another mounting option

reed scott

I like the look of the Kinekt. Kinda techy/industrial/hard core ish.

expat

I
Agreed... I am trying to look up options to see what I can do in addition and try to either change it to something that I can control more or finding another mounting option

I wonder if that would also have been the case with the redshift as well. I didn’t want to think about forks but it might be more practical for the rest of the hardware. Or maybe if I had dual headlights... I’m ocd for symmetry.

Steph

I

I wonder if that would also have been the case with the redshift as well. I didn’t want to think about forks but it might be more practical for the rest of the hardware. Or maybe if I had dual headlights... I’m ocd for symmetry.
I asked redshift via email is the blendr kits trek uses would fit and they said no, but they have a 30 day return policy if I wanted to test it out. Ultimately I went with the kinekt as I really like the seatpost. Have you thought about the baramid handlebars ? That was next go to if the stem isn’t going to work out.

Latitude

I asked redshift via email is the blendr kits trek uses would fit and they said no, but they have a 30 day return policy if I wanted to test it out. Ultimately I went with the kinekt as I really like the seatpost. Have you thought about the baramid handlebars ? That was next go to if the stem isn’t going to work out.

Hard to think the Redshift stem wouldn’t work out. It’s very simple and does what they claim. I had to remove a Blendr adjustable stem on my Trek to install it, but don’t feel I’m missing anything. I can understand your wanting to match the Kinekt stem with their seatpost though. I prefer the understated design of the Redshift system personally. As an aside, it’s kind of amusing that Kinekt states there’s no need for proprietary suspension inserts... just use one of our three spring options!

Last edited:

expat

I’ve looked at them but felt they may not provide the amount of relief I’d like from the piss poor roads around here. I may try something like this if it doesn’t get too bulky and cluttered.

Attachments

• 4B3A1829-1191-4E44-BE8A-576C72CE4C4E.jpeg
    4B3A1829-1191-4E44-BE8A-576C72CE4C4E.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 20

Steph

Hard to think the Redshift stem wouldn’t work out. It’s very simple and does what they claim. I had to remove a Blendr adjustable stem on my Trek to install it, but don’t feel I’m missing anything. I can understand your wanting to match the Kinekt stem with their seatpost though. I prefer the understated design of the Redshift system personally. As an aside, it’s kind of amusing that Kinekt states there’s no need for proprietary suspension inserts... just use one of our three spring options!

sorry i meant that i wouldnt fit the light in the center of the stem like how the blendr stem does now. I am sure the redshift stem would of worked and had nothing against it. Just like my stuff to match together :)

Steph

I’ve looked at them but felt they may not provide the amount of relief I’d like from the piss poor roads around here. I may try something like this if it doesn’t get too bulky and cluttered.

i am thinking that the handle bar extender might be a good option. i can go put the smart phone hub and the light on there and get it off the handle bar. Will let you know what i end up doing

6zfshdb

It's been my experience that springs are great at absorbing shock loads but they don't do much for high frequency vibration. For me anyway, this type of vibration causes wrist numbness. The RedShift stem uses elastomers instead of the Kinekt's springs which, in my case, provides better comfort.

Latitude

It's been my experience that springs are great at absorbing shock loads but they don't do much for high frequency vibration. For me anyway, this type of vibration causes wrist numbness. The RedShift stem uses elastomers instead of the Kinekt's springs which, in my case, provides better comfort.
Interesting observation.

Latitude

sorry i meant that i wouldnt fit the light in the center of the stem like how the blendr stem does now. I am sure the redshift stem would of worked and had nothing against it. Just like my stuff to match together :)
Makes sense. I didn’t mean to leave a negative impression of the Kinect stem. It looks like a good product and I imagine if I had their seatpost I would also use the Kinect stem.

antboy

Redshift has a couple of additional mount options (with different mounting hardware options like Cateye, Garmin, etc)

Or a more generic utility mount...