New Superdelite with a heavy rider problems.

Transamspirit

Region
USA
City
Dc
Purchased this weekend. Not a GS model. Was a demo bike and let’s just say customer service was absolutely atrocious. Not entirely the dealers fault for not getting everything right, the store was slammed and only one rep available.
The only problem I’m having is that I was getting serious peddle scrape before I maxed out rear suspension at 295 psi. (I didn’t want to go any more than that.) Now that I’m there I barely scraped with a heavy lean into a turn with the peddle down obviously. I guess I need to adjust my riding style. (Peddle down allowed me to use my leverage to lean the bike) I suppose this is bad form?
so. Would upgraded/longer travel shocks help? Upgrade to GS? Can that be done post purchase? I don’t see why not. what about aftermarket ideas? Shorter crank arms? Raise the frame somehow? Is that possible? As my weight drops, the sag will obviously lessen but there is now this nagging fear of peddle scrape in my mind. I’ll also want to add bags and equipment to the rear rack, so this will offset some of the weight loss on my part. Any directions on where to search?

A few questions a little off topic from the weight issue and I haven’t searched for these topics yet, but I’ll ask. Can I upgrade to smartphone hub from Kiox with the R&M setup? Is it worth it or just get a phone mount for gps directions separately? It’s a 2020 model if that makes a difference. Are there options for a hard bag/box? Can the 2020 hold 625 batteries?
Other than that, haven’t had a real opportunity to get any riding in. My buddy wanted to test out the top end down a hill and got 33.3mph out of her! This thing is a dream if I can address the scrape issue.

here is the link to my intro if you have questions about my size and weight.

Attachments

• 1ECB1D70-35DA-4BA3-8F35-51CC0CA8B80B.jpeg
    1ECB1D70-35DA-4BA3-8F35-51CC0CA8B80B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:

amayers

Region
USA
The only problem I’m having is that I was getting serious peddle scrape before I maxed out rear suspension at 295 psi. (I didn’t want to go any more than that.) Now that I’m there I barely scraped with a heavy lean into a turn
With any bike you will have peddle scrape when you lean heavily into a turn. You should always* be turning the peddles so the inside peddle is at the top of its stroke during a turn. A full suspension bike will usually let the peddles get a bit closer to the ground, but you shouldn't have to be maxing out the shock PSI just for peddle scrape issues.

You should slide the shock o-rings to the bottom, and gently sit on the bike with all your weight as if you are about to ride. Then gently get off the bike. Try not to bounce. Then notice how far the o-rings moved. They should be moving ~20% of the total suspension travel, if the shocks are set properly for your weight.

Is it worth it or just get a phone mount for gps directions separately?
IMHO the smartphone hub is a downgrade from a dedicated display. In a year or two as phones & OS change, the chance that the smartphone hub won't work quite right increases. Phone mounts are cheap and give you other benefits beyond just using the phone as a GPS, so I'd go that route.

Can the 2020 hold 625 batteries?
The lower battery on the 2020 Superdelite is a 625w. The upper is a 500w. There isn't any other batteries that you can swap in those locations to increase your capacity.

Brockrock

Region
USA
Although I'm not familiar with your particular bike, pedal scrape can be a common problem on many bikes for heavy riders. Make sure that your tires are at their fully rated inflation. Even a millimeter or two of tire width can allow/disallow the pedals to scrape. You may also want to consider and discuss with your bike shop slightly wider tires, maybe by a quarter inch or so. Trying to alter your pedaling technique because of occasional pedal scraping is not really a very good solution. The pedals should not be striking at all on otherwise flat terrain, and all it could take is one pedal strike at speed to cause you to go over - and that's never good. Before I changed out the crank arms, I would see about lower profile and/or shorter pedals. That may be the solution to your particular issue. Lastly, I applaud your efforts to get into biking for health and wellness reasons, and I hope you are able to get it all worked out.

Transamspirit

Region
USA
City
Dc
With any bike you will have peddle scrape when you lean heavily into a turn. You should always* be turning the peddles so the inside peddle is at the top of its stroke during a turn. A full suspension bike will usually let the peddles get a bit closer to the ground, but you shouldn't have to be maxing out the shock PSI just for peddle scrape issues.

You should slide the shock o-rings to the bottom, and gently sit on the bike with all your weight as if you are about to ride. Then gently get off the bike. Try not to bounce. Then notice how far the o-rings moved. They should be moving ~20% of the total suspension travel, if the shocks are set properly for your weight.

IMHO the smartphone hub is a downgrade from a dedicated display. In a year or two as phones & OS change, the chance that the smartphone hub won't work quite right increases. Phone mounts are cheap and give you other benefits beyond just using the phone as a GPS, so I'd go that route.

The lower battery on the 2020 Superdelite is a 625w. The upper is a 500w. There isn't any other batteries that you can swap in those locations to increase your capacity.
!!! Thanks for the thorough reply! The fronts are not giving me any issue, on this bike or my old hard tail. It’s all to blame on the rear. I’ll take your tip and analyze this tonight. Is there an o ring on rear shock? Is there such thing as a “big boy” rear shock?

Transamspirit

Region
USA
City
Dc
Although I'm not familiar with your particular bike, pedal scrape can be a common problem on many bikes for heavy riders. Make sure that your tires are at their fully rated inflation. Even a millimeter or two of tire width can allow/disallow the pedals to scrape. You may also want to consider and discuss with your bike shop slightly wider tires, maybe by a quarter inch or so. Trying to alter your pedaling technique because of occasional pedal scraping is not really a very good solution. The pedals should not be striking at all on otherwise flat terrain, and all it could take is one pedal strike at speed to cause you to go over - and that's never good. Before I changed out the crank arms, I would see about lower profile and/or shorter pedals. That may be the solution to your particular issue. Lastly, I applaud your efforts to get into biking for health and wellness reasons, and I hope you are able to get it all worked out.
I’ll try to get by my LBS tonight and discuss my options. Thank you. I suppose my leaning technique was adopted from riding my taller mountain hybrid hard tail. I never faced a scrape issue on it. I definitely do not want to face plant with a Class 3.

amayers

Region
USA
!!! Thanks for the thorough reply! The fronts are not giving me any issue, on this bike or my old hard tail. It’s all to blame on the rear. I’ll take your tip and analyze this tonight. Is there an o ring on rear shock? Is there such thing as a “big boy” rear shock?
Yeah, there is an o-ring on the rear as well. It's definitely harder to use IMHO, but it should give you a rough gauge if you are sagging a lot more then normal or not.

RMK!

Although I'm 208 lbs, at 6'5" I'm not heavy. I had a pedal strike on my first ride on my new Delite GX HS. The very nimble GX likes to be thrown abound corners so short term, I've resolved the issue by not doing aggressive cornering with inside pedal down. It is generally a better rider technique to have the outside pedal down and your weight on that pedal when cornering but with trail riding that isn't always possible.

The flat pedals that came on my GX are unnecessarily large and could be replaced by a smaller pedal that would help eliminate pedal strike. I've done this in the past with other bikes. Increasing tire pressure will help but might affect ride comfort so I'd try smaller pedals and riding technique as better long term solutions.

gtpharr

Region
USA
City
CHESAPEAKE, VA
If you bought that bike from eBike Central in NC, I wish you good luck in getting any service after the sell. Their mechanic only works 1 day a week. I ordered a Nevo 3 from them in Feb 2021 and had difficulty getting answers to any questions I asked. I sensed a lack of integrity at this dealership and found they would rather try to blow smoke up my butt than make an honest effort to get me real answers. I felt like I knew more about the R&M bikes than they did.

I ended up speaking with two other eBike Central customers on the R&M Facebook Forum and they were even more dissatisfied than I was. I figured things would only get worse after they had all my money, so I decided to cut my losses and cancel my order. I had to file a dispute with Visa to get my deposit back, but I did get it all back.

I still have and really enjoy my first R&M which is a 2019 Nevo GH which came from San Diego Fly RIdes. I consider myself very lucky that I did not spend $9K at eBike Central and end up with lousy service after the sell. If I ever buy another R&M in the future, it will come from Fly Rides or Propel.

Transamspirit

Region
USA
City
Dc
Although I'm 208 lbs, at 6'5" I'm not heavy. I had a pedal strike on my first ride on my new Delite GX HS. The very nimble GX likes to be thrown abound corners so short term, I've resolved the issue by not doing aggressive cornering with inside pedal down. It is generally a better rider technique to have the outside pedal down and your weight on that pedal when cornering but with trail riding that isn't always possible.

The flat pedals that came on my GX are unnecessarily large and could be replaced by a smaller pedal that would help eliminate pedal strike. I've done this in the past with other bikes. Increasing tire pressure will help but might affect ride comfort so I'd try smaller pedals and riding technique as better long term solutions.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll relearn with a better technique and evaluate tire pressure as well. The peddles on this bike are quite small had several peddle strikes before I bought it.

Transamspirit

Region
USA
City
Dc
If you bought that bike from eBike Central in NC, I wish you good luck in getting any service after the sell. Their mechanic only works 1 day a week. I ordered a Nevo 3 from them in Feb 2021 and had difficulty getting answers to any questions I asked. I sensed a lack of integrity at this dealership and found they would rather try to blow smoke up my butt than make an honest effort to get me real answers. I felt like I knew more about the R&M bikes than they did.

I ended up speaking with two other eBike Central customers on the R&M Facebook Forum and they were even more dissatisfied than I was. I figured things would only get worse after they had all my money, so I decided to cut my losses and cancel my order. I had to file a dispute with Visa to get my deposit back, but I did get it all back.

I still have and really enjoy my first R&M which is a 2019 Nevo GH which came from San Diego Fly RIdes. I consider myself very lucky that I did not spend $9K at eBike Central and end up with lousy service after the sell. If I ever buy another R&M in the future,

I still have and really enjoy my first R&M which is a 2019 Nevo GH which came from San Diego Fly RIdes. I consider myself very lucky that I did not spend $9K at eBike Central and end up with lousy service after the sell. If I ever buy another R&M in the future, it will come from Fly Rides or Propel.
🤐 I don’t want to be rude... the deal was good, the pre sale was good.

There’s a R&M dealer in DC where I can get future service from. Clark at Electricity bikes has been ultra helpful.

RMK!

Thanks for the reply! I’ll relearn with a better technique and evaluate tire pressure as well. The peddles on this bike are quite small had several peddle strikes before I bought it.
Good plan and remember, proper tire and shock air pressure is all about getting best the performance, comfort and safety for your riding style. I wouldn't prioritize ground clearance as a reason for increasing either.

Luto

I suppose this is bad form?
Yes. And pedal strikes are only the start and most dramatic. Bad form will lead to your general in ability to control the bike. Add that it is an e-bike and your next post might be about a crash with pictures of road rash and about bone damage.

Check out the numerous bike handling YouTube videos. On a grass course, in a day you can get enough done to start on the right path and have a great, crash free first year.

Transamspirit

Region
USA
City
Dc
Yes. And pedal strikes are only the start and most dramatic. Bad form will lead to your general in ability to control the bike. Add that it is an e-bike and your next post might be about a crash with pictures of road rash and about bone damage.

Check out the numerous bike handling YouTube videos. On a grass course, in a day you can get enough done to start on the right path and have a great, crash free first year.
Will do!

Alanzo

The only problem I’m having is that I was getting serious peddle scrape before I maxed out rear suspension at 295 psi.

You can dial in the bike by changing the shock to one rated for a higher load. Everyone is different. What works for some may not work for all. With the roads I ride on I have to put more air into the shock than my weight to avoid bottoming out on a bad patch of road. If I was a large guy I'd be having issues as the shock on my Delite is limited to 300.

Jay Kay

I put 155mm crank arms on my Superdelite and my wife’s Homage. They have improved ground clearance noticeably, although cadence is up slightly - actually good for the mostly off road recreation riding we do, but not so good for a HS model and road riding I suspect.

Transamspirit

Region
USA
City
Dc
I put 155mm crank arms on my Superdelite and my wife’s Homage. They have improved ground clearance noticeably, although cadence is up slightly - actually good for the mostly off road recreation riding we do, but not so good for a HS model and road riding I suspect.
That’s in consideration if we don’t get the shock issue fixed... new issue. See next post

Transamspirit

Region
USA
City
Dc
Took it to electricity bikes in DC yesterday. First thing they say is the rear shock is blown. Could’ve been me on my test ride. Could’ve been a demo rider before me. They’re contacting Fox today to see if there are potential shocks for my weight. The area where the shock rides seems too narrow to allow a spring, so fingers crossed Fox can manufacture some kind of shock. An aside, The Tundra Grey sure would look awesome with the front and rear suspensions Fox offers on their website.

Last edited:

Alaskan

I recently put Fox Factory front fork and rear shock with Kashmina coating on my 2018 Delite Mountain. They fit just fine. The fork has 130mm travel which raised the pedals up about 15mm over the 120mm stock Fox Float shock. Also taking the tire up to a larger width will get the pedals up higher too.

20210227_144208.jpg
20210227_144147.jpg