New to the eBike Game...

Timpo

Yes, same or very similar components, but the fact it's NOT plug and play like Bolton's kit (because of all the connectors) makes it a pretty serious DIY project - not for the faint of heart. It WILL work, and have all the same benefits when done though....
Ah okay, so Bolton would be a better choice ..

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
Ah okay, so Bolton would be a better choice ..

I think so, at least for most people. As you can see, there's a significant difference in price depending on which way you go. With that, and the satisfaction you get from a DIY project that's taught you something, I think some would enjoy the challenge. You guys know who you are! -Al

jaizon

With the Bolton kit, it's not bad.

Here's the installation instruction.

Buying a brand new bike with the idea that you are going to upgrade it immediately...just not my cup of tea. There are literally hundreds of bike out there, surely one would fit the bill without monkeying around. Just my 2 cents.

And what happens to the warrantee? Poof.

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Jaizon,
Regarding warranty after a Bolton kit install, think like you have 2 warranties. Rad will still warranty Rad items (as long as you don't advertise the fact there's a Bolton kit installed), and Bolton will help you out with his stuff.

As far as modifying a new bike, you are very likely creating a custom bike. There will be no others like it (or darn few), and often nothing like it even available - especially when it comes to buying a bike with a KT based controller and display. There are none, unless you consider Bolton's line of bikes.

From an avid DIYer's standpoint, buying an inexpensive bike (like a RAD), and modifying it to suit YOUR needs/tastes, is a great way to get exactly what you want at a very reasonable price.

When my 'City was 6 weeks old, ALL of the electronics, other than the battery, were removed and replaced. I felt it under powered and I couldn't stand the controller programming which I could not change. My biggest problem was that after having built a couple of bikes previously, I knew there was MUCH better available, and I was holding that knowledge up for comparison with the way the RAD was equipped. Took me a weekend to install an aftermarket "kit" that gave me a controller and display similar to Bolton's, and a motor twice the size of the original. "Kit" was 300. to my door. Total cost of bike, a year prior to Bolton's kit becoming available, was 1800. There was nothing even close on the market at twice that amount.....

BTW, there are darn few people that know enough about bikes to recognize just how highly this bike has been modified. It's not a rolling wreck looking for a place to break down.

Last edited:

BigBryon85

Jaizon,
Regarding warranty after a Bolton kit install, think like you have 2 warranties. Rad will still warranty Rad items (as long as you don't advertise the fact there's a Bolton kit installed), and Bolton will help you out with his stuff.

As far as modifying a new bike, you are very likely creating a custom bike. There will be no others like it (or darn few), and often nothing like it even available - especially when it comes to buying a bike with a KT based controller and display. There are none, unless you consider Bolton's line of bikes.

From an avid DIYer's standpoint, buying an inexpensive bike (like a RAD), and modifying it to suit YOUR needs/tastes, is a great way to get exactly what you want at a very reasonable price.

When my 'City was 6 weeks old, ALL of the electronics, other than the battery, were removed and replaced. I felt it under powered and I couldn't stand the controller programming which I could not change. My biggest problem was that after having built a couple of bikes previously, I knew there was MUCH better available, and I was holding that knowledge up for comparison with the way the RAD was equipped. Took me a weekend to install an aftermarket "kit" that gave me a controller and display similar to Bolton's, and a motor twice the size of the original. "Kit" was 300. to my door. Total cost of bike, a year prior to Bolton's kit becoming available, was 1800. There was nothing even close on the market at twice that amount.....

BTW, there are darn few people that know enough about bikes to recognize just how highly this bike has been modified. It's not a rolling wreck looking for a place to break down.

Wow, you really laid it out there. I think I'm gonna have to go for the Rad and upgrade kit. Just don't know if I should go with Bolton or the other store mentioned previously...

Actually, I don't know what upgrades to get from either exactly.

Timpo

Wow, you really laid it out there. I think I'm gonna have to go for the Rad and upgrade kit. Just don't know if I should go with Bolton or the other store mentioned previously...

Actually, I don't know what upgrades to get from either exactly.

I think you have 3 options

1) Upgrade the Controller, Display
2) Upgrade the Controller, Display and Motor
3) Upgrade the Controller, Display, Motor and Battery.

The controller will be 35A, way better than stock 22A, the motor will be "Real 750W" motor, and the battery will be 52V.

You can just do the option #1 to start with, since I know your budget is $1700.

Note: Stock Rad Rover comes with brake light, depending on which controller you get, you could retain or lose brake light. Bolton has two variants, one with brake light connector, and one without.

AHicks

Region
USA
City
My advice would be to buy the bike and ride it for a at least 100 miles to get to know it and what it's capable of. At that point, THEN do what you need to do to take care of anything YOU aren't happy with. Don't do it because others are doing it, or because that's what I did. Keep in mind Rad sells these bikes to a LOT of people, many of whom are just fine with it as they get it.

Just know it's capable of a lot more, depending on your needs.....THAT'S a big piece of what makes them a great buy, in my mind anyway.

As far as which one to get, I would recommend whatever appeals to you, as long as it uses a geared hub, from both an efficiency stand point, and for "sporty' performance. -Al

BigBryon85

You might want to watch this too.

Rad Rover with Bolton kit

lol, that's funny, I literally watched it last night. He also had an updated video from a week ago explaining he found out about controller mounts for it...

Also, here's a good list I'm gonna go off of WHEN I'm ready to upgrade, but I agree with everybody's suggestions of riding with stock parts, THEN upgrade as needed, in the order of the list below...

I think I'm gonna go with the Rad Rover, because of the well known company, availability of aftermarket parts, and great reviews. Thanks for the input everyone. I've learned a lot, and am really looking forward to everything.