Newbie question: TSDZ2 upgrades.

jeff423

Region
USA
I see that Electrify Bikes is offering an "OSF Upgrade Motor Kit" and Eco Cycle is promising something new this week. Are these the basic TSDZ2 motors with enhanced software and maybe upgraded displays/controllers?

jeff423

Region
USA
David is a stellar reseller and completely trust worthy. Eco would be my first choice in resellers of TSDZ2.
Thanks for that. I have to say that Mark at Electrify Bikes has been better at responding to my emailed questions. Still have heard nothing from Eco. I'm still trying to learn more about the "upgrades".

jeff423

Region
USA
I’d go with the most responsive reseller. In my experience eco has been great about responding.
Thanks,
Maybe Dave reads this forum. At any rate he got back to me last night with two emails which answered most of my questions (and raised a couple more) so I'm on my way. I'm thinking about just going to Nashville and shopping in person.
Hardware question: I currently have a 42 tooth front chain ring and I always feel that I'm pedaling too fast (I bike on mainly flat trails). Could I go with a 50 tooth, and if so do I need a longer chain?

tomjasz

Good to read he got back.

Why 50T? I'd stay with 42T. I don't know how the TSDZ2 runs when lugged using the throttle with a larger chainring. A potential disaster with BBS01-02 mid drives. Ask David.

jeff423

Region
USA
I've asked David and I'll see what he has to say. Back to my original statement, I don't like the sensation of pedaling as fast as I do with a 42T ring. I will still have the rear derailleur if I want to "down shift".

RunForTheHills

Region
USA
I like to pedal at a fairly high RPM of around 90. You can use a gear calculator to determine what speed you will get in each gear at a particular RPM. I don't know what RPM you are comfortable with, maybe 80? Change the Gear Units on the calculator below to MPH @ 80 RPM and enter your chainring size and select the cassette you are using.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

jeff423

Region
USA
I spoke to David a couple of times the past few days and ordered a kit and 52T chainring today. He said the after market chainring was a better fit for my chainline. According to UPS it was shipped within 2 hrs. of placing the order.

Hasaf

On my TDSZ2 build, I ended up going with a 14t sprocket and a 52t chainring. This was using a Nuvinci N380. Under ideal conditions, no wind, flat ground, and a long run, it would get up to about 24mph.
e-bike-15-Aug-2021-cropped.jpg