Noise from rear hub when going 21mph+

Danny Troy

Region
USA
I have a step-thru 2.0 and an XP 2.0. On my XP when going approximately 21-22mph and over (although only goes to 24mph) I get a grinding sound coming from the rear hub. This is on a flat surface, with no headwind. I weight about 165 lbs. I made a video and posted it on YouTube. I sent the link to tech support but they suggested it might be a loose fender. The sound immediately stops when letting off the throttle, so I really don't think it's the fender. I could swap controllers, but I'm saving that as a last resort. Here's a link to the video. The sound start at about the :17 sec mark:

BigNerd

Tried turning the bike upside down and trying to reproduce?

It does sound like something at that speed is scraping something.

Danny Troy

Region
USA
That's a good idea. I might try that. That way I could really pinpoint where the noise is coming from. The thing is, when going downhill over 22mph and I let off the throttle the noise isn't there. BTW, I checked for loose bolts and everything is tight, so I double it's the fender or anything loose.

Deerdog

Region
USA
Mine made a noise at a certain point. Took a while to find it but it was the finder. Made a gasket out of an old bycicle intertube noise went away.

ki11a

Yep, sounds like the fender reverberating from the motor vibrations. Fairly common.

Danny Troy

Region
USA
Yep, sounds like the fender reverberating from the motor vibrations. Fairly common.
I elevated the bike so I could use the throttle and I didn't hear any noise, even at full throttle. I suppose it only appears when under load. I'm thinking it's coming from the hub motor. One way to solve this is to swap wheels with my wife's step-thru. She will never go over 20mph (probably not faster than 15mph!) so that might be a good way to go. Question is, how easy is doing a wheel swap?

rich c

Kind of thinking it might be the brake rotor? It's a bit similar sound when you apply the brakes to stop.

Danny Troy

Region
USA
Kind of thinking it might be the brake rotor? It's a bit similar sound when you apply the brakes to stop.
I hear what you hear, but that's not the sound that I'm talking about. I guess you can say there's two sounds happening simultaneously. I'm waiting to hear from the company. I know they don't want to offer a solution that won't cost them money, so they had told me to tighten all fender bolts, which were already good and tight. If I find the time I may swap wheels and or controllers with my wife's step-thru.

someguy272

Region
USA
I just received a lectric xp 2.0 step through with the same rear hub noise over 21mph+, contacted their customer support, they dismissed it and said that was normal, really?? Did anyone find a solution for this issue, please advise?

Danny Troy

Region
USA
I just received a lectric xp 2.0 step through with the same rear hub noise over 21mph+, contacted their customer support, they dismissed it and said that was normal, really?? Did anyone find a solution for this issue, please advise?
I was fortunate in that I was able to swap wheels with my wife's step-thru. I still haven't totally tested it, but so far it appears the noise is gone on my bike and still there, but less noticeable, on my wife's bike. Definitely got me scratching my head. Since my wife will never go above 20mph it's a moot point for me. My bet is the info in this link is likely the cause.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95478

rawlus

Region
USA
could be normal/expected. unsure. i don’t know what the innards of the motor are but could just be internal components and harmonics at certain speeds right?