Nominally open, Nominally closed?

Haystacks

I've been forced into replacing my braking system due to a collision earlier today (snapped brake lever) and am looking at the Magura MT5e's and as you all probably know when ordering you need to know whether the controllers default is nominally open or nominally closed, i've read a thread on here about these brakes and finding out whether NO or NC but it requires a multimeter which i don't have with me at the moment and i need to get these ordered rapido as in within the next 24h and i could do with someone experienced to tell me if my deductions are correct.

A while ago i had an issue where the motor wouldnt work and after a bit of trouble shooting i narrowed it down to the connector on the brakes for the motor cut off, the way i did this was to unplug the jst-sm. When i unplugged the jst-sm the motor started working, would this indicate that they are NO?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and im sorry if this post is a bit confused but im painkillered up due to busted knee. Thanks.

CityExplorer

A while ago i had an issue where the motor wouldnt work and after a bit of trouble shooting i narrowed it down to the connector on the brakes for the motor cut off, the way i did this was to unplug the jst-sm. When i unplugged the jst-sm the motor started working, would this indicate that they are NO?

Yes.

If it is a simple mechanical switch and not some electronic switch. If there was just 2 wires to your break inhibitor then sounds like simple switch, that is NO. You could test that by finding a little jumper wire, disconnect the line, run the motor and then short the wires, but if there is only 2 wires then there is little doubt unless they have a base resistance so they can detect broken or shorted wires (doubtful),

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
Many times this type of device will be NC so that it will then be failsafe.
If a wire is cut or the brake lever is missing it is the same as operating it.
If you unplug it, and it shows the brake lever being depressed it is most likely NC. If not, NO.
This is assuming that it is a 2 wire switch.

rich c

If the lever is the only broken part, just replace it. All you have to do is press out the pin, then press it back. I replaced a Magura 4 blade.

Haystacks

Well that cleared that up, eh?

Must remember not to post after an injury whilst on painkillers, didnt notice autocorrect had changed normally to nominally, lol.

So as my OP states that is correct and it is also the correct method to check, shorting the 2 pins would indicate NC. Unplugging and still working indicates NO.

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
Well that cleared that up, eh?

Must remember not to post after an injury whilst on painkillers, didnt notice autocorrect had changed normally to nominally, lol.

So as my OP states that is correct and it is also the correct method to check, shorting the 2 pins would indicate NC. Unplugging and still working indicates NO.

I was going to mention the nominally / normally but figured it was the curse'd autocorrect 🙃

So which was it? NO/NC?

Haystacks

NO, better had be anyway as ive just ordered the MT5e's in the closer variant :D Changing lever wasn't really an option, the existing brakes are chinese so i might as well take the opportunity to upgrade another bit of my bike. Bloody expensive this ebike malarkey, wish one of the big brands would do a folding eMTB so i didnt have to do all this, think the only original bits now are the frame and electronics lol :eek:

Here is a question folks, I am contemplating new supernova m99 front and back brake lights on my Riese & Muller,and looking at the Magura MT5E which version do i need Higo-opener or Higo-closer.

Cheers

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove
I've been forced into replacing my braking system due to a collision earlier today (snapped brake lever) and am looking at the Magura MT5e's and as you all probably know when ordering you need to know whether the controllers default is nominally open or nominally closed, i've read a thread on here about these brakes and finding out whether NO or NC but it requires a multimeter which i don't have with me at the moment and i need to get these ordered rapido as in within the next 24h and i could do with someone experienced to tell me if my deductions are correct.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and im sorry if this post is a bit confused but im painkillered up due to busted knee. Thanks.
Busted knee plus broken brake lever doesn't sound good:eek:. Heal quick.