Nyon MY21 - Initial Thoughts

Dallant

This is a matter of a very large and wealthy company apparently not giving a s*it about a small division. My guess is that their ebike division is of little importance comparatively speaking.

retiredNH

Region
USA
This is a matter of a very large and wealthy company apparently not giving a s*it about a small division. My guess is that their ebike division is of little importance comparatively speaking.
You think Nyon has limits? Try cobi.bike.

Kaiede

As a corollary to shutting off the Nyon, I lost live guidance from it. Is there a way to resume a tour from somewhere in the middle? Navigation is brittle and doesn’t seem to understand that i want to go back to the tour after having to deviate from it.

There’s two modes for starting a route. One which guides you to the start of the route first, and one that guides you to the closest point in the route and then continues the route. The second one is meant for the situation you describe. It does get confused when riding “out and back” type routes though (so I tend to split those up into two routes now).

Thanks Alaskan. This explains a lot.

I use two separate rail trails on my commute to work on my Trek 8S. EbikeConnect's mapping system would not let me pre-map the second trail which is in a town that does not allow Class 3 bikes on its trails. However, it's not physically posted or enforced. I doubt the town's law is the real reason I cannot get the routing software to recognize the trail, but the German-Centricity of the software could explain it.
This also possibly explains why I couldn’t reproduce this behavior, being on a class 1. E-bike connect does have a weird preference for roads, but the behavior for me in the Seattle area between it and Komoot is pretty similar where they both prefer “fast” over “avoid roads”, which is a bit annoying, but can be coaxed onto the bike paths. I didn’t even realize that the bike on the account might be used to affect route planning.

But with OSM in the mix, can’t discount weird data there either. Especially in the US I’ve noticed some rather annoying errors in the trail data outside major cities. I tend to fix them when I find them, but it’s not like everyone is savvy enough to be able to do so, and so there are some areas where paths are mis-tagged and then never truly fixed.

Hall

Region
Europe
By reading this thread I get impression that even though Bosch seem to have put lot of effort on this top tier ebike computer Nyon MY21 it's maturity is not too impressive.

Any comments on Nyon and Bosch eBike Connect integration on different activity services like Garmin Connect and Strava?

fooferdoggie

yes the nyon's need work for sure. the Kiox is really stable. maps are going to take work and tine to get good garmin has had a lot of time to do it. I find its best Tom make my rides in ride with gps or such and upload them.
I think that had strava automatically upload but not now. you have to manually upload rides. this is what keeps me using my garmin too plus for radar and temps.

Hall

Region
Europe
I think that had strava automatically upload but not now. you have to manually upload rides. this is what keeps me using my garmin too plus for radar and temps.
That's another 6 months to wait software and integration getting better. Apple Watch 6 and Garmin GPSMAP 66ST does the job so good that there's no room for Nyon. I don't even want to try routing with Nyon. If it's a little problematic with Garmin, it can't be better with Bosch. Maybe in the city.

fooferdoggie

That's another 6 months to wait software and integration getting better. Apple Watch 6 and Garmin GPSMAP 66ST does the job so good that there's no room for Nyon. I don't even want to try routing with Nyon. If it's a little problematic with Garmin, it can't be better with Bosch. Maybe in the city.
Apple Watch sucks at recording a ride. if you use strata or such on it its ok but if you use apples fitness app it sucks. it does not pause when you stop its pretty inaccurate for the post part. till the new watch came out it only checked your heart rate every minute. garmin is less then perfect too. it can have connection issues to my lights and such. my 1030+ used to send me in posit directions. you jsut got to get around the glitches of todays electronics. I love how I can upload a route from ride with gps into ebike connect and it just syncs with my Nyon. with gsrmin I have to plug it into my computer and do it manually. sometimes it would not show as a drive on my computer Mac or pc. sometimes I have to work to get myth gamins to sync with my phone. here I have gamin sync with heath on my phone. but the info does not even go towards exercise. the only thing that goes towards that is my heart rate increasing and my Apple Watch catching it. or if I record a ride with the fitness app. hell the apple watch cant even detect bike exercise. everything has it glitches. but if you want to adjust the assist levels want to know your wattage output and to get a accurate calorie burn count good info on your climb and grade and such then the Nyon does all of that.