Ok, so I narrowed it down, but still need help please.....

GenXrider

Question- I read on the reviews that the suspension on the R1U is bad. Do you have any issue with it?
I have not heard of anyone say that about the R1U bikes. It's obviously not top shelf, but that's expected. I have heard some complaints about the Ripcurrent S suspension being "garbage" IIRC. The Core-5 does not have a suspension. The LMT'D has the best suspension of the R1U bikes with its air fork, but it's not a high end shock than you will get on a $4000 eMTB.

And between the R1U and an Aventon, would you still choose the R1U?
In a heartbeat. Getting exercise without having to pedal to an unnecessary high speed is important to me, and the R1U lets you tweak the power of each assist level for the balance that I want, while the Aventon Level and Pace 500 will run up to 12 mph in the lowest assist level with ghost pedaling.

Note: It's unknown at this time whether those power settings will be available and functional on the LMT'D, but the new shipments will have a new LCD which includes options for those settings. It's just a matter if they are enabled and work on the LMT'D with its torque sensor based PAS.

BigNerd

Have you considered the Lectric XPs? The more I read about them, makes them more enticing. And you can get 2 for less than $2k.

Ridin222

So do you have a different short list now than your original post?
Not exactly. I have gone back to look at the R1U series though (700 or Lmtd) as another poster/owner here informed me that it has the option in the settings to lower the assist levels which would be good for me, exercise wise. But it's not a mid drive nor has torque sensor. So I feel like I'd be taking a step back again. However, now that my GF wants a bike with me, maybe something like these would be better 'starter' bikes. Once I get used to everything and ride a couple years, plus save more $ again, then I can revisit the other ebikes (or whatever new has come out by then), all while keeping in mind the Yamaha and Bosch motors you all are teaching me about. I just really wish a Rad, Sondors, Biktrix or Juiced would work for all I want/need as I keep gravitating toward those. Is there not one I listed that is decent-good for what I will be using it for? Btw- I get a discount on Rad through the company I work for, which is a plus. But I hear even though they are ranked #1, they aren't all that when it comes to quality parts and customer service. Oh well.

Ridin222

Have you considered the Lectric XPs? The more I read about them, makes them more enticing. And you can get 2 for less than $2k.
No, I haven't really looked in to them. I will watch the review now. I'm not so much about the step-thru or mini bike style, but for traveling they look awesome. And that is something I need to think on; traveling with the bikes. I will have to buy a bike rack soon after purchase.

GenXrider

Not exactly. I have gone back to look at the R1U series though (700 or Lmtd) as another poster/owner here informed me that it has the option in the settings to lower the assist levels which would be good for me, exercise wise. But it's not a mid drive nor has torque sensor.

I need to correct the above since I was the one who brought these up. The adjustment of the assist level power percentages definitely is a feature of current gen 700, but at I stated a couple times earlier in this thread, it is an unknown at this point whether the LMT'D will support those settings, despite the fact that the new LCD that it will be shipped with supports those settings. We will have to wait and see on the LMT'D.

Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, the LMT'D DOES have a torque sensor. The 700 does not. Some people prefer hub drives. There's a new LMT'D video with the new controller, but it's still the old LCD. See:

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...lmtd-new-owners-perspective.35049/post-311993

Ridin222

I need to correct the above since I was the one who brought these up. The adjustment of the assist level power percentages definitely is a feature of current gen 700, but at I stated a couple times earlier in this thread, it is an unknown at this point whether the LMT'D will support those settings, despite the fact that the new LCD that it will be shipped with supports those settings. We will have to wait and see on the LMT'D.

Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, the LMT'D DOES have a torque sensor. The 700 does not. Some people prefer hub drives. There's a new LMT'D video with the new controller, but it's still the old LCD. See:

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...lmtd-new-owners-perspective.35049/post-311993
Oop, sorry about that. I do realize it is unknown about the newer Lmt'd having the assist level adjustment and we will have to wait to find out. But I failed to read the part about the torque sensor correctly. Thanks for clarifying this.

WattsUpDude

Yes, I was just pointing out that 250 W motors can assist you up some pretty steep climbs. Unless you live in a very hilly place like San Francisco, you don't likely need the "ultra" motors.

This is coming from someone who lives and plays in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies.

I use my 250w middrive in SF almost everyday. It's a beast of a hill climber. :)

I might be wrong but I believe that a lot of folks who think that 250w is too weak are likely riding rear hub drives without the proper gearing.

GenXrider

Take a look at the espin sport. I read this whole thread and it has a lot of what your looking for. Plus for 1500 its easier to order 2
Some of us recommended this in one of his previous two threads. He discounted it because the motor power wasn't 750 watts. I have to say it doesn't look like a mountain bike, which is something he mentioned to start this thread.

J.R.

I would get back on the phone to Crazy Lenny. Tell them you now want 2 bikes and give them sizes, style and see what they are willing to do for you. Let them sell you on a good deal. Bikes you can buy and ride now. So many bikes noted in this thread are for shipments at a future date like October. Lenny could have a demo they are willing to let go if they know they have a buyer. Call other shops that are known to offer deals. Not email, call. Email inboxes are full of tire kickers.

Good luck! I hope you get beyond the research stage. It's not as fun as riding:)

GenXrider

You seem very confused about what you really want in a bike. Apples and oranges. You could spend forever looking at different bikes.

Ridin222

You seem very confused about what you really want in a bike. Apples and oranges. You could spend forever looking at different bikes.
Yes, that I am. Plus there is a lot to learn, hence why I am here. I am not confused about the style I like or for what I need the bike for. But other than that, the more options there are, the worse it is for my brain to decide. It's overwhelming, on top of all else I am going through (medical stuff). Also, I am now looking for my GF a bike as well. I saw that Haibike and it seemed a bit similar, so I thought I'd ask in case it may work for me or her.

Ridin222

The Trekking in a not a mountain bike. Very different than the SDURO HardSeven.
Ok thanks. I was thinking more for her, but I guess not. I was trying to search around my LBS to see what they had in stock, or to be delivered in a few days. I did find a couple nice specialized that I could get our hands on in 4 days, but even though the bikes themselves were in the price range, the total was over $6,000 with taxes and maintenance plan. Nope, I can't do that. I am still loving Biktrix Juggernaut, and the Stunner for her, I have to be honest. But the R1U is BIG on my list again now, too, and I know getting those would be the smarter move. Anyway, I hope you don't feel like you're wasting time helping me. It's all very much appreciated, and needed. I will get there.

Johnu510

How fast do you want these bikes? You know companies like biktrix, ride1up have shipping dates in october right? Just wondering because it seems like you might be willing to compromise with a place like crazy lennys just to get 2 bikes fast.

Ridin222

How fast do you want these bikes? You know companies like biktrix, ride1up have shipping dates in october right? Just wondering because it seems like you might be willing to compromise with a place like crazy lennys just to get 2 bikes fast.
Months ago. Haha! But at this point, I am understanding to the pandemic shipping issues. It is what it is. I want to get the 'right' bikes for both her and I and if that means waiting an extra month, so be it. In the mean time, I am taking walks, moving more and dealing with all the doc appts and such. By the time we get the bikes, the weather will be a little cooler, too. So that will be nice not riding around in 90 degrees (Northern California). But yea, the sooner I order, the better. I understand actual delivery will be Sept/Oct.

byunbee

Now I’m getting confused....your jumping among R1Up, Bitrix, Specialized, Haibike, mountain bike, fat tire bike, exercise bike, commuter bike.

I get the impression that you don’t really know what you want and your only focus is on the price. My recommendation is to at least test ride the different types of bikes and different brands, different motors. Otherwise, you’re shooting in the dark.

BigNerd

Now I’m getting confused....your jumping among R1Up, Bitrix, Specialized, Haibike, mountain bike, fat tire bike, exercise bike, commuter bike.

I get the impression that you don’t really know what you want and your only focus is on the price. My recommendation is to at least test ride the different types of bikes and different brands, different motors. Otherwise, you’re shooting in the dark.

To be fair, I'm still kind of all over the place too in trying to choose an ebike. Not sure if the OP has an LBS nearby that will let them test the different types/brands/motors and they won't have the Direct to Consumer value models to actually give them an accurate comparison.

FlatSix911

Months ago. Haha! But at this point, I am understanding to the pandemic shipping issues. It is what it is. I want to get the 'right' bikes for both her and I and if that means waiting an extra month, so be it. In the mean time, I am taking walks, moving more and dealing with all the doc appts and such.

By the time we get the bikes, the weather will be a little cooler, too. So that will be nice not riding around in 90 degrees (Northern California). But yea, the sooner I order, the better. I understand actual delivery will be Sept/Oct.

I think you really need to pause and think about what you are looking for... and consider not complaining about the beautiful NorCal weather. 😉

Good Grief, we are blessed with beautiful sunshine and no humidity... have you lived anywhere else in the world?