Over 50's Trek Allant 9.9s Chronicles

Over50

...The second one just this week was an inch long piece of metal and unfortunately the slime would not seal the hole. I called a friend for a ride and the shop (who encouraged me to use Tannus) with no expectation from me changed it for free....
So in the case of the puncture that did not seal, was the bike not rideable or perhaps you were just too far to limp home? I wanted to check the marketing claim that I highlighted below about the run-flat feature. You had some bad luck with those punctures. It hasn't happened to me yet and my main threat so far has been broken glass which seems to be abundant in our bike lanes and on my commute.

1577110437850.png

Luv2ride

So in the case of the puncture that did not seal, was the bike not rideable or perhaps you were just too far to limp home? I wanted to check the marketing claim that I highlighted below about the run-flat feature. You had some bad luck with those punctures. It hasn't happened to me yet and my main threat so far has been broken glass which seems to be abundant in our bike lanes and on my commute.

View attachment 43036
The bike was unrideable.
The tire was completely flat when I stopped, perhaps it was going flat for a bit before I was aware.

Luv2ride

The bike was unrideable.
The tire was completely flat when I stopped, perhaps it was going flat for a bit before I was aware.
Perhaps the run flat feature would work if the bike were not so heavy. I am carrying two extra batteries in my bag.

Over50

My bike has finally returned home with a new light (the final modification). The M99 Mini Pro 45. Too bad the streets are full of snow and salt. Test riding and reporting on the results of the Tannus liners, carbon rims and new light will be delayed until we get some cleaner streets and decent weather.

:453604536145362

GuruUno

Love it! Was the delay due to the connector, obtaining the light or the mount? Which mount was used and was it a "plug and play" install (wiring)?

Over50

...Was the delay due to the connector, obtaining the light or the mount? Which mount was used and was it a "plug and play" install (wiring)?
Delay was due to various factors. First, I sent the LBS down the wrong path by asking for the M99 Pro. They couldn't readily find a mount that worked for the Pro and ordered something from Germany. Also the wiring would require some rework which necessitated dropping the motor. While we were waiting for a mount to arrive, a trusted forum member advised me that the M99 Mini Pro 45 is the way to go because it is made to be more plug and play with Bosch, doesn't burn as hot, is smaller etc. LBS did not have access to this light but I was able to find a source for purchase. A mount shipped with the light but I don't know the name or whether the mount was a standard/stock item. I can find out if needed. The mount worked but the light isn't exactly centered - rather it sits just left of center which is perhaps better for city riding. The angle is easy to adjust. We are waiting for an appropriate clamp for the high-beam button pad (on order). Now it is affixed with double sided tape but seems secure. The stock clamp for the button pad is made to mate with a Magura brake clamp. LBS said the light swap wasn't too difficult but with the stem and internal routings did require some manipulation of the wires and it helped that the motor was already dropped as initial plan was to install the M99. They spliced in at the light and made a change in the Bosch software but that was about it. It was finished the day after I dropped off the light. I haven't tried the light at night (plan to do so today just in my backyard). I think it is 700 and 1400 lumens whereas the Bontrager was 500 lumens per the Trek website (and I assume that is the high beam). I will also use backup rechargeable lighting as I do on all my bikes. I have a camera mount on the handlebars on the Trek and it pairs with my Blackburn DayBlazer 800.

GuruUno

Having had the M99 Pro on the previous Super Commuter, it's interesting that the Mini Pro is now the way to go. I find that it's tough to find the "old" Pro too, but nonetheless good luck with the Mini Pro. Curious if it has a toll on any of the battery power, and if so, percentage wise how much (I'm sure Supernova must have those specifications).
So, curious to know, is your warranty OK or null and void because of the retrofit?

Last edited:

Over50

...So, curios to know, is your warranty OK or null and void because of the retrofit?
With Bosch? Trek? Or both? No idea. I'd like to think my LBS would go to bat for me if needed - given I'm a good customer. But since commuting in the dark is a risky venture I'd opt for the brighter light and take the risk with the warranty.

I lined up a few bikes in my basement, turned out the lights and did some comparison. I like the wider beam of the M99 on high. I'll have to find just the right angle such that I'm not pissing off oncoming drivers. Pictures are in order: M99 Mini low beam, M99 Mini high beam, Tern Vektron G2 (stock light no high beam option), R&M Charger (stock Supernova not sure of model, no high beam), Knog Blinder rechargeable bike light on high beam (maybe the brightest of the bunch but I probably wouldn't buy Knog ever again - but another story):

Over50

Love it! Was the delay due to the connector, obtaining the light or the mount? Which mount was used and was it a "plug and play" install (wiring)?
I should have mentioned that @Chris Nolte was instrumental in the successful completion of the light swap. He provided me with very good advice and I was able to get the M-99 Mini Pro 45 from Propel with a mount that worked for the Allant.