Over50's Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5 EQ Chronicles

Stefan Mikes

Have you tried using the BLEvo app for your SL, @Over50? A lot of energy/distance related information is generated by that app! You'll get instant W/mi consumption figures for different modes instantly. You can even define the extender battery there!

Over50

Have you tried using the BLEvo app for your SL, @Over50? A lot of energy/distance related information is generated by that app! You'll get instant W/mi consumption figures for different modes instantly. You can even define the extender battery there!
No. I didn't know about it until recently. I feel like Mission Control gives me what I need for the Vado SL. For Bosch/Kiox I'd prefer that the system calculate the WH Consumed and Avg Assist - maybe it does I just haven't found it yet.

Over50

Went on a 25 mile MUP ride today. Surface varied between gravel, dirt, pavement, crushed limestone. Again, I'm impressed at how these tires handle gravel. Best mixed-surface handling tires I've tried:

MarathonEPlus_VadoSL1.jpgMarathonEPlus_VadoSL2.jpg

Over50

I bought this bike as an alternative to my non-electric for fitness commuting - on those windless Friday's when time is not important and I can get home whenever I get home and not have to worry about getting up at 6am the next day. For that type of riding, on most days, I would not need the range extender for the 35 mile ride - because riding at say 30%-50% assist would get me over 50-100 miles of range on the downtube battery. But now that I've been riding this bike awhile, I realize it would be really good for the overall commuting chores too wherein I need to minimize my commute time and ride faster - while also getting some workout. For that, I think my sweet spot is about 70%-90% average assistance. The diminutive size of the range extender battery makes it really easy to transport and at 70% of assistance will easily give me 20 miles distance. I think my strategy would be to use the range extender for the ride to work which is the shorter leg of my commute. I'd toggle the MC setting to 'use the range extender first', and then just keep it in my pannier for the ride home, relying on the downtube battery for the longer trip home.

I've posted about how bad the service has been at my Specialized dealer. My very friendly Trek LBS, who did the wheels on my Allant, has offered to scope a gravel wheel build for me for the Specialized. Maybe more to come soon on that vanity project.

Just for grins, I put my rides under 10% average assistance on a chart. I couldn't put them on the original chart because they distort the range axis. I have 3 rides around 3-4% average assistance from 15 to 25 miles of distance.

1606002547343.png

1606003377077.png

BEC111

I finally was able to ride my Vado SL4 battery almost all the way down a few weeks ago in a couple of rides. Two rides of 13 miles (26 total, leaving about 70% charge) and then another 20 mostly uphill leaving about 26%. I did the 20 miles back with zero assist for the first 8 miles back then back to my usual pattern of Eco on flats, Sport for climbs and passing in traffic and occasional Turbo boosts for topping a hill and avoiding trail traffic risks or road crossings.

That equates to about 60 miles on a charge mostly riding a mixture of Sport and Eco without being afraid to use Turbo for fun or safety.

I sort of want the extender as a late arriving Christmas present - wife orders now, it arrives in March or April? - but I’m not really sure I need it. Most of my riding companions hit their limits at 30 miles and I’m not getting any younger.
;)

Nubnub

I finally was able to ride my Vado SL4 battery almost all the way down a few weeks ago in a couple of rides. Two rides of 13 miles (26 total, leaving about 70% charge) and then another 20 mostly uphill leaving about 26%. I did the 20 miles back with zero assist for the first 8 miles back then back to my usual pattern of Eco on flats, Sport for climbs and passing in traffic and occasional Turbo boosts for topping a hill and avoiding trail traffic risks or road crossings.

That equates to about 60 miles on a charge mostly riding a mixture of Sport and Eco without being afraid to use Turbo for fun or safety.

I sort of want the extender as a late arriving Christmas present - wife orders now, it arrives in March or April? - but I’m not really sure I need it. Most of my riding companions hit their limits at 30 miles and I’m not getting any younger.
;)
Likewise my normal rides come nowhere near needing the full 320 Wh of the internal battery. However I've been using a range extender since I've gotten my 4.0 SL. Since I was somewhat concerned about battery wear and somewhat hopeful that someday I might want to ride further than the the 320 Wh would comfortably do, I felt ok getting the range extender when I did. Since the range extender shows 50 cycles of charge I figure it has saved me a few cycles on the internal battery. Both show health of 100% (Mission Control) or 99% (Blevo).

I've found drain both batteries in parallel works for me. Then when they get to 30% or so I'll charge just the range extender. I can usually get in a couple of rides while the re-charged range extender drains to match the internal battery. Ride a bit more and I charge them both.