Over50's Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5 EQ Chronicles

Rincon

Is it possible to install a carbon handlebar on an alloy e-bike? That is, with an alloy stem?
Yes. Be sure to use carbon fiber assembly gel. Use it anywhere a carbon fiber component is installed with a friction fit or clamp.

12E33016-31F8-495F-89DA-6E4F227BEC7C.jpeg

Last edited:

Rincon

Funny, there are a few reviews on Amazon saying it made things more slippery (g) but most are good reviews.
It’s like gelled sandpaper. I started using it after I installed a Selle Anatomica seat with carbon fiber rails. It kept slipping backward. The gel solved that problem. Now I just use it wherever there’s a CF friction fitting.

rochrunner

Region
USA
City
Rochester Hills
It’s like gelled sandpaper. I started using it after I installed a Selle Anatomica seat with carbon fiber rails. It kept slipping backward. The gel solved that problem. Now I just use it wherever there’s a CF friction fitting.
@Rincon How do you like the Selle Anatomica seat? I've got my eye on it as a possibility for my future SL.

kahn

Region
USA
City
northWET washington
@Rincon How do you like the Selle Anatomica seat? I've got my eye on it as a possibility for my future SL.
I've been using Selle Anatomica for about 4 or more years and moved one from my Trek Madone to the Creo along with the Kinekt seat post. Then got another set of those for the Madone a few weeks back. So third set of each. I guess I LIKE it! :)

Rincon

Roch, I’ve been through a lot of saddles. Now I have three Selle Anatomica saddles, so I like them. They’re great. If they ever get uncomfortable I just tighten the bolt to stretch the leather and they’re instantly back to form. SA is good for hours of comfortable road riding.

I recently bought a Specialized Power Saddle with Mirror. Very comfortable. Very similar to Selle Anatomica. But very expensive. The Selle is absolutely the better deal. They’re both great on the road. On a stationary bike, using Zwift, they both hurt after an hour. That’s why I bought the Power saddle, to solve the Zwift issue. Didn’t work out. Turns out the Selle Anatomica is as good as it gets. Maybe I just need a big, fat Cloud 9 saddle for Zwifting.

Last edited:

JeffC57

Roch, I’ve been through a lot of saddles. Now I have three Selle Anatomica saddles, so I like them. They’re great. If they ever get uncomfortable I just tighten the bolt to stretch the leather and they’re instantly back to form. SA is good for hours of comfortable road riding.

I recently bought a Specialized Power Saddle with Mirror. Very comfortable. Very similar to Selle Anatomica. But very expensive. The Selle is absolutely the better deal. They’re both great on the road. On a stationary bike, using Zwift, they both hurt after an hour. That’s why I bought the Power saddle, to solve the Zwift issue. Didn’t work out. Turns out the Selle Anatomica is as good as it gets. Maybe I just need a big, fat Cloud 9 saddle for Zwifting.
I use Selle Anatomica saddles on both my Vado SL and Creo CC EVO. They work well with my boney butt . Other parts of my body hurt before my butt on long rides. If I do have any discomfort down there, it always goes away as soon as I get off the bike.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
If I do have any discomfort down there, it always goes away as soon as I get off the bike.
I'm just standing on pedals while coasting. Several seconds of such riding and taking the seat again makes miracles, as my backside takes slightly different position on the saddle.

Rincon

I use Selle Anatomica saddles on both my Vado SL and Creo CC EVO.
Jeff, You know to stand off the saddle over bumps, right? Off road with the Selle Anatomica can stretch the leather pretty quickly. If you’re riding an EVO, then you’re probably already handling it light in the saddle on gravel. The Creo is loads of fun on gravel. I ❤️ it!

kahn

Region
USA
City
northWET washington

As I derail the thread although saddle RAILS will apply! How much do you like the Specialized saddle. It is definitely PRICEY but my butt is probably worth it - like I will spend whatever to keep my toes from freezing in cold weather biking. I investigated the Fizik saddle but I think it is too narrow for my sitting bones. I also use the Sella Anatomica. My butt was creamed years ago by a pickup truck. I dented in the entire length of the truck's side panel. I had holes cut on my saddle for a few years!

Rincon

As I derail the thread although saddle RAILS will apply! How much do you like the Specialized saddle. It is definitely PRICEY but my butt is probably worth it - like I will spend whatever to keep my toes from freezing in cold weather biking. I investigated the Fizik saddle but I think it is too narrow for my sitting bones. I also use the Sella Anatomica. My butt was creamed years ago by a pickup truck. I dented in the entire length of the truck's side panel. I had holes cut on my saddle for a few years!
I have two of the Power Mirror saddles. Super comfortable and they conform to your backside like no other. It, like the Selle Anatomica, cured all of my issues on the road: numb nuts and butt pain. If the SA didn’t work for you, the Power with Mirror would be the next step. They come in two sit bone sizes. There are instructions on Specialized’s saddle page on how to measure at home, if you don’t already know your size.

JeffC57

Jeff, You know to stand off the saddle over bumps, right? Off road with the Selle Anatomica can stretch the leather pretty quickly. If you’re riding an EVO, then you’re probably already handling it light in the saddle on gravel. The Creo is loads of fun on gravel. I ❤️ it!
I have a EVO, but live in the city so I ride it mostly on pavement. I do occasionally get it on gravel when I hit the rail trails or get out of the city. I’m still getting used to riding on gravel and stand on the pedals when it gets bumpy paved or gravel.