PAS 4-20 mph
PAS 5 -23 mph
Rad Rover Manual says:
1=4mph
2=8mph
3-12mph
4=18mph
5=20mph.
All the settings on the LCD are as described in the instructions, Wheel size etc...
If I enter a smaller wheel size I guess I'll get slower PAS speeds but then the mileage will be off...Right?
Is there a way to get lower speeds on PAS 1 & 2?

Scottv

Hi Fran,

It sounds like the bike you have has an older version of the programming on it (there isn't anything bad about the one you have). Please send an email to "support@radpowerbikes.com" we can definitely send controller out to you with the latest software on it!

Last edited:

mrgold35

If you press the up/down arrow at the same time to enter the set-up mode on the LCD. You can select the top speed in kilometers for the Radrover. It should be set for 32 km/h (20mph) and the max is 40 km/h (a little under 25 mph). Maybe the max speed might be set for +32 km/h from the factory?

SpeedyDad

Its not a settings issue. Its a programming issue. I contacted RPB and they are sending me a new controller. I'll post my thoughts once I get it installed.

SpeedyDad

I installed the new controller. Not very difficult. Uf anyone else does it be careful of the pins in the connector for the cadence sensor.
I have an elbow issues so no real road test. Just a quick jaunt in the neighborhood revealed a much more manageable pedal assist. No rabbit starts now. Smooth going and I'll be able to stay back with my wife on her traditional mountain bike.

BVC

Is there a way to update the controller software? I've had my radrover for 3 months now and it's jumpy when PAS kicks in.. I have nothing else to compare with so I'm unsure if this is normal or the "latest" software version..

SpeedyDad

There is a plug on the controller but I'm not sure what it is for.
What speed does your PAS level 1 get you to?

BVC

Mine pumps me up to just past 10 mph if I remember correctly. I want to say something like 10.3

I do know that when I am coasting slowly and start to pedal - the bike likes to take off like a rocket. It's great feeling that power but at the same time it makes me nervous letting others ride my bike with just a sudden hit of torque like that. Not sure I would like to remove this tho.. it'd seem like I'm tuning down a sports car

BVC

I got my new controller in.. it's not functioning right. I am uploading a video now.

Does your controller show you power usage past XX amount of speed? For example: PAS1 = 70 watts. I can be going 8mph or 20 mph and it'll constantly display 70 watts..

I did notice that it's more tame. The torque is much more manageable/softer.

@BVC Correct! This is normal operation on the latest production bikes.

The approximate wattage limits for each PAS mode are as follows (without any speed limiting in each mode):

PAS 1: 50W
PAS 2: 150W
PAS 3: 350W
PAS 4: 500W
PAS 5: 750W

Any previous generations of controllers had speed limiting in each PAS mode as @Fran mentioned in the OP.

Tom Kriek

Very interesting, so now it is a constant level of assist within each PAS Level, rather than variable power within each PAS. So I would guess it is smoother. When I take my bike in, I will see if they can upgrade my controller. I assume it is programming and not a new controller?

windmill

Very interesting, so now it is a constant level of assist within each PAS Level, rather than variable power within each PAS. So I would guess it is smoother. When I take my bike in, I will see if they can upgrade my controller. I assume it is programming and not a new controller?
Yes, they just reprogram it, only takes a few minutes. Contact them ahead of time if you want to do it on a Saturday.

BVC

I'd like to report back that while my mileage has gone down (miles per charge) - I do like the new programing the more I ride with the system. I still wish there was a speed cutoff for each PAS level but.. who knows.

I can pedal very comfortably on a flat surface at 12mph under my own power, thus not needing motor assistance. I believe this contributed to better miles per charge in my case as I usually only used PAS1 with a cutoff at 10mph. But in my possibly limited case I can simply just turn PAS off when I'm cruising and adjust PAS levels as I would with traditional mechanical gears.