Pedego Element Brakes

Dmac

Region
Canada
Hey all,
I’ve been riding my new Element almost every day since I got it about a week ago and I notice that there is some strange sounds from the brakes. First a squeaking which I think was the rear brake pad running on the disc. Next there is the front brakes that sound like crunching when I really squeeze them. I looked at the rotors and there are not scratches on them so I don’t think it’s a worn brake pad. The brakes since I bought it always sounded (this is the only way I can describe it) like sand when I used them. Is this just normal break in stuff?

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
Disk brakes make noise from time to time. It's usually caused by some kind of debris getting between the pads and rotor. I ride mostly trails, and dust is the main culprit in my case. Usually, the problem clears itself with use but sometimes, wiping the rotor with a rag dipped in alcohol is necessary. Do NOT use soap or any oil based lubricant!

Depending on their composition, some disk brake pads do have a break in period. I seriously doubt you have a worn pad with such a new bike.

Mention the problem to your dealer and see what he recommends.

Last edited:

Dmac

Region
Canada
Yeah I was thinking about using alcohol on the rotors. I ride mostly trails as well so my bike is always getting dirty/dusty/muddy.

PioneerHusky

I'm having the same problem with my Element brakes. I tried the following...
- Removed the front wheel and cleaned the roto (both sides) with alcohol/rag.
- Took out the brake pads, lightly sanded them, cleaned with alcohol/rag and reinstalled.
- Repeated the same procedure with the rear wheel (except I didn't remove the wheel).
- Followed this youtube video to align the brake pads:
- Bedded the brakes, and...

Still terrible squeaking.

I heard organic brake pads are much more quiet, so I ordered these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4TRNZ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'll get them Tuesday. Only cost $7.00, so I thought it was worth try.

I ride on gravel trails, so also dirty/dusty.

Dmac

Region
Canada
I'm having the same problem with my Element brakes. I tried the following...
- Removed the front wheel and cleaned the roto (both sides) with alcohol/rag.
- Took out the brake pads, lightly sanded them, cleaned with alcohol/rag and reinstalled.
- Repeated the same procedure with the rear wheel (except I didn't remove the wheel).
- Followed this youtube video to align the brake pads:
- Bedded the brakes, and...

Still terrible squeaking.

I heard organic brake pads are much more quiet, so I ordered these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4TRNZ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'll get them Tuesday. Only cost $7.00, so I thought it was worth try.

I ride on gravel trails, so also dirty/dusty.
Thanks for that. I suspect some of it is the type of brake pads that get hard spots. Wasn’t as noisy today but will probably need to align the back brakes. I’m getting a Tannus liner tomorrow that I’m going to install with their smaller tube so will perhaps do that at the same time (maybe Tuesday as it’s supposed to rain).