Pennsylvania Rides | Meetups | Pennsylvania Riders

bikeman242

I couldn't resist the great weather last week and took a 4 day trip back down to Cumberland MD. to ride the C&O, GAP and WMRT trails. Not much fall color left but there was still some to be seen.

Up on Big Savage Mountain:
View attachment 69793 View attachment 69794 View attachment 69795 View attachment 69798 View attachment 69799

Mile 186 on the C&O where it joins the GAP trail in Cumberland:
View attachment 69797 View attachment 69796

The Keystone and Salisbury viaducts:
View attachment 69800 View attachment 69801

Pinkerton high bridge with the Pinkerton Tunnel in the background:
View attachment 69802

With most of the leaves gone, good views of the river between Confluence & Ohiopyle:
View attachment 69803 View attachment 69806

Crowded for a weekday at Ohiopyle:
View attachment 69804 View attachment 69805

Great pictures, thanks. I am planning a three night trip next Tuesday through Thursday, driving in from NE Philly on Tuesday, then back friday morning. I was thinking of doing the WMRT and the C&O, and/or anything else in the general area that I may not be aware of. I already did the GAP trail and the Pine Creek trail this season, thanks to yours @6zfshdb and @J.R. very helpful planning advice. This sadly looks like my "last bike trip" of the season.

What would you suggest for an ideal itinerary, weather permitting? You mentioned the WMRT and the C&O as the best in the area, though I am happy to drive a bit further if there are better fish out there. I thought about the Blue Ridge trail, but am not comfortable biking on the road.

Thanks and cheers for the pics.

6zfshdb

Great pictures, thanks. I am planning a three night trip next Tuesday through Thursday, driving in from NE Philly on Tuesday, then back friday morning. I was thinking of doing the WMRT and the C&O, and/or anything else in the general area that I may not be aware of. I already did the GAP trail and the Pine Creek trail this season, thanks to yours @6zfshdb and @J.R. very helpful planning advice. This sadly looks like my "last bike trip" of the season.

What would you suggest for an ideal itinerary, weather permitting? You mentioned the WMRT and the C&O as the best in the area, though I am happy to drive a bit further if there are better fish out there. I thought about the Blue Ridge trail, but am not comfortable biking on the road.

Thanks and cheers for the pics.
When I ride the WMRT, I usually follow the itinerary outlined in post #139 of this thread. The WMRT, C&O and possibly the Pike 2 bike will easily keep you busy on a 3 or 4 day trip. In lieu of riding the entire C&O, there are many sections that are worth riding individually. The Big Slackwater section mentioned in post #139 is a must see IMO. Second best is the piece of the C&O between Little Orleans and the Paw Paw Tunnel.

Since the WMRT closely parallels the C&O, there are many possible "loop" rides where you ride out on the C&O, cross over and ride back on the WMRT. I find the paved WMRT to be something of a relief after riding 20 or more rough miles on the C&O. There are a dozen or more possibilities for this type of ride. I can give you specifics if you're interested.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a ride I've been wanting to do for many years. Like you, I'm concerned about traffic. The road is narrow with no shoulders in spots and people drive too fast. Distractions from cell phones and the beautiful scenery are a recipe for disaster IMO. There was some talk about closing the Parkway to vehicle traffic on one day each year but it never materialized. Instead, there is now a proposal to ban cycling completely: https://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/go-outside/blue-ridge-parkway-closed-to-cyclists/

I'd love to use the upcoming stretch of good weather to take another multi day riding trip but I've got too much to do at home. With any luck, I'll get out for a single day ride at Lehigh Gorge. This time last year, I was out on Cape Cod riding their great trail system. Hopefully, I'll get back there next spring.

J.R.

York County PA Heritage Rail Trail.

If you have the time and the weather cooperates it's a really nice ride this time of year. From Hanover Junction south to New Freedom I call it the Christmas Trail. From mid November to Christmas: Northern Central Railway of York, York County Parks and the Rail Trail Authority have many events planned, like the Tannenbaum Christmas Tree Train.

20161125_151419.jpg

You can board the train in New Freedom and ride to a tree farm in Seitzville to cut your own tree. They then will transport your tree back and have it waiting for your return.

20201107_150555.jpg

20161125_151551.jpg

If you're lucky you can see Santa, he's setup a workshop at the old flour mill in Seitzville.

20201107_150903.jpg

20201121_123844.jpg

20201121_173133.jpg

If you look closely you can see Prancer playing Reindeer games on the trail.

20201123_102424.jpg

Event calendar.

20161125_155356.jpg

Of course you can see all for free from the saddle of your ebike. Be careful of the world famous guard turkeys! They are particularly mean this time of year. I can't imagine why?!

20201121_124121_1605985153970.jpeg

Look for the monument to the Glen Rock Carolers from the trail. For 173 years they have walked through the town on Christmas Eve, in their wool coats and top hats, singing Christmas carols.

1217glenrockcarolersstatue.jpg

Have a safe and happy holiday season. Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.

heritagerailtrail.gif

Last edited:

6zfshdb

For anyone interested, Public Television is re-airing "The Great Ride". It's a 1 hour documentary made by a group who rode from Washington DC to Pittsburgh on the C&O Canal and Great Allegheny Passage trails. I saw it last year when it was first aired and it's well worth the time if you are interested in either of these trails.

For those in the Scranton viewing area, It is airing on Friday, 1/8 from 1 - 2 PM on WVIA. Other viewing times & channels can be found here by entering your zip code:

https://www.aptonline.org/catalog/GREAT-RIDE-THE

J.R.

For anyone interested, Public Television is re-airing "The Great Ride". It's a 1 hour documentary made by a group who rode from Washington DC to Pittsburgh on the C&O Canal and Great Allegheny Passage trails. I saw it last year when it was first aired and it's well worth the time if you are interested in either of these trails.

For those in the Scranton viewing area, It is airing on Friday, 1/8 from 1 - 2 PM on WVIA. Other viewing times & channels can be found here by entering your zip code:

https://www.aptonline.org/catalog/GREAT-RIDE-THE
It's very well done.