Petite older female need help,with choosing E-Bike.

Augiesma

Not sure if you have looked at any of Court’s reviews, but there is a separate category for folding bikes. To find them:
- EBR home screen
- Menu
- Categories
- Electric folding bikes

For each review Court includes price and weight.
Couldn’t find it 🤔

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
Not sure if you have looked at any of Court’s reviews, but there is a separate category for folding bikes. To find them:
- EBR home screen
- Menu
- Categories
- Electric folding bikes

For each review Court includes price and weight.

Great ideal... let's make this easy for new EBR members... ;)

Here are our top picks for the best folding electric bikes of 2020. These top five ebikes represent the best combination of features and value right now, but you can see all 117 of our detailed folding ebike reviews listed by date here. Reviewing electric bikes is our primary focus, EBR has the industry’s most complete and objective reviews. Since 2012, we’ve helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget. Let’s go!

Table of Contents:

Things to Consider:
  • Intended Use. There are many variations of folding electric bikes to choose from… and each sub-category has its own strengths and weaknesses. The solution is to step back and think about your use cases. Do you need the lightest and most compact, even if it means less comfort? Would you prioritize traction and off-road stability, even if it meant adding weight and size? What about fenders and lights for commuting? I know people who never fold these ebike, but chose them only for their compact size and approachability (low stand-over height). Think about your situation, as you consider these top picks, and scan through our entire library of folding ebike reviews to really get it right.
  • Battery. Cell quality is important. How far will it take you and last? How expensive is a replacement? Battery location also impacts performance. Those located near the rear wheel are easier to remove but shift weight towards the back. Having it on the main frame spreads weight evenly, improving handling, but makes attachment more difficult. Easy attachment is nice when you remove the battery for lifting the bike or to store and charge the battery separately.
  • Size and Weight. How small does it collapse when it’s folded? Will it fit into your space? How heavy is it to lift? Will you be able to load or carry it? Can it be rolled when folded? Can the bike handle your weight and cargo?
  • Component Quality. When portability it the primary focus, the quality of parts may be neglected. Make sure the core components can deliver the performance you need. is the the drivetrain, battery pack, shift mechanism, and display protected when the bike is folded?

vincent

You have to click the big ebr logo and it takes you to the main page where reviews are

right now you are in the forums part

court does a great job listing everything you want to know on weights etc

Wesleykent

Why not consider M-Class from Ariel Rider. They seem to have fathersday discount. You will get a mid-drive compact e-bike for $1550. Seems like a good deal.

Attachments

• 104168195_1430389160480544_6464474785597474142_n.jpg
    104168195_1430389160480544_6464474785597474142_n.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 74

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
I’m not really crazy about the look if it, plus I can’t find minimum height stats

Why not consider M-Class from Ariel Rider. They seem to have a father's day discount.
You will get a mid-drive compact e-bike for $1550. Seems like a good deal.

I agree, and at this price point I would recommend a mid-drive that is optimized for hill climbing.

Last edited:

TomD

I would look at this. Only 57 miles and great price (won't last). Frame size is small which might be a tad large for you at 5' but you could make it work.

Used 2019 Trek Verve+ from Bicycle Blue Book for $1126

Augiesma

So, I ended up buying a Vika+...nice bike but it feels a bit unstable with the 20” wheels (would 26” wheels feel more smooth/stable?)...I think I would also like suspension and maybe hydraulic disk brakes. I am looking for another bike for another location because while I bought the Vika because it folds, I find it to heavy to transport on a regular basis. So I’m considering a second, non folding bike. Any recommendations for a cute bike that would fit a short rider but have larger than 20” wheels? I was looking at the Benno Ejoy, but it appears it doesn’t have a throttle, which is a must.

jangles

So, I ended up buying a Vika+...nice bike but it feels a bit unstable with the 20” wheels (would 26” wheels feel more smooth/stable?)...I think I would also like suspension and maybe hydraulic disk brakes. I am looking for another bike for another location because while I bought the Vika because it folds, I find it to heavy to transport on a regular basis. So I’m considering a second, non folding bike. Any recommendations for a cute bike that would fit a short rider but have larger than 20” wheels? I was looking at the Benno Ejoy, but it appears it doesn’t have a throttle, which is a must.
Buy the bike I showed you and put a suspension seat post on it . You dont need an expensive seat post , she put the one in the link at the bottom and loves it . My wife 61 did what I suggested and is happy as punch .
Amazon.com : Venzo Suspension Mountain Road Bike Bicycle Shock Seatpost - 27.2 x 350mm - Suitable for Rider Weight 70-85kg : Sports & Outdoors

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
Reactions: BET

Augiesma

I didnt read the thread so excuse me for not knowing what has been suggested but here is the best all around bike for the money you can get IMHO and my wife ( 5'1" ) has had one for 3 years and not "1" problem . It really has been as sweet as it looks and it's a torque sensor bike !
EUNORAU Electric Step-Thru beach cruiser style Bike 500W peak!! Colorful panel+torque sensor!! – EUNORAU ELECTRIC BIKES (eunorau-ebike.com)
The tires are under 2”...has she tried it on a dirt bike path?

jangles

Yes she has , I changed the tires out to Innova 26x1.95 and they work pretty good . Not really good in deep sand but fine on hard pack trails . However she did buy an M2S Scout for those times when she want to go hard core with me .

indianajo

I think I would also like suspension and maybe hydraulic disk brakes. I am looking for another bike for another location because while I bought the Vika because it folds, I find it to heavy to transport on a regular basis. So I’m considering a second, non folding bike. Any recommendations for a cute bike that would fit a short rider but have larger than 20” wheels? I was looking at the Benno Ejoy, but it appears it doesn’t have a throttle, which is a must.
Ultimate stability, 24" wheels, not a bit light weight 72 lb, made for short people, blix packa. The stretch frame has totally solved the problem of MTBs & cruisers pitching me over the handlebars as the wheel snaps sideways. (Now I own a discontinued yuba bodaboda). Plus being longer it doesn't nose around in the wind, like the 40 mph gusts we had last Tuesday. I run my 2.1" tires @ 45 psi for better ride. Packa has a standard seat post if you want a suspension post add on. DD hub motor is fine for Long Island, but would not suit hilly territory. As far as hydraulic brakes, changing brake handles from 3.5" long to 5" long has seriously increased control and decreased force required for 140 mm tektro disk brakes on my bike. All MTB cruisers & cargo bikes use the same cable ends, so swapping my handles was a 30 minute job - most time prying the rubber ends off. I don't have to put the bike in the car to take the hydraulic brakes to the bike shop, because I don't have a car. Mechanical disks adjust in 5 minutes every 1000 miles. Took an hour to replace the pads at 4000 miles. If you do want to transport the bike regularly, there are roll on back racks with a ramp: see the parts and accessories thread. No lifting.
BTW I have 28" pants inseam, long in the torso for 68" height, short 30" sleeves, 160 lb male, age 70. I lift 3 lb weights per Margaret Richards, do toe touches and leaning on chair pushups to maintain my back & arm muscles, which deteriorate fast after age 55.

Last edited:

BET

I didnt read the thread so excuse me for not knowing what has been suggested but here is the best all around bike for the money you can get IMHO and my wife ( 5'1" ) has had one for 3 years and not "1" problem . It really has been as sweet as it looks and it's a torque sensor bike !
EUNORAU Electric Step-Thru beach cruiser style Bike 500W peak!! Colorful panel+torque sensor!! – EUNORAU ELECTRIC BIKES (eunorau-ebike.com)
Seems a little heavy at 59 lbs plus only 350 motor.

BET

The Ride1up Core 5 step thru is lighter, less than 50 lbs, would fit and has throttle, 500 w motor and full size tires. Similar is the AventonPace 350, but it is only 350 watt motor. Both very stable, less than 50 lbs.You could add a suspension seat post. If you want to add a suspension fork, which I do not think is necessary, it will add more weight to the bike. My Espin Sport is 55 lbs. It has a suspension fork and hydraulic brakes and was about $1200. The comparable step thru model is the Espin Flow. Frame size is 17.

Augiesma

The Ride1up Core 5 step thru is lighter, less than 50 lbs, would fit and has throttle, 500 w motor and full size tires. Similar is the AventonPace 350, but it is only 350 watt motor. Both very stable, less than 50 lbs.You could add a suspension seat post. If you want to add a suspension fork, which I do not think is necessary, it will add more weight to the bike. My Espin Sport is 55 lbs. It has a suspension fork and hydraulic brakes and was about $1200. The comparable step thru model is the Espin Flow. Frame size is 17.
Concerned with espin flow tire size, less than 2” wide.

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
I’m looking at the ride1up 700 series..do you know if EBR has reviewed it? Looks good!
Ride1Up 700 Series Review | ElectricBikeReview.com
Summary
  • A commute-ready ebike with sturdy aluminum alloy fenders and versatile rear rack with triple bungee and pannier hangers, available in two frame styles (high-step and step-thru), two color choices, and ships to the US, Canada, and Mexico
  • Great value given the name-brand components: 160mm Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, Selle Royal comfort saddle, 11-32 tooth 7-speed Shimano drivetrain, high-capacity frame-integrated Retention Rhino battery with Samsung cells, Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires, and integrated Blaze-Lite front and rear lights
  • Lots of attention to detail here, the color scheme looks professional, they included bottle cage bosses on both frame types, the charging port, and battery locking cylinder are mounted high up on the frame, the TFT LCD display is color and is fairly easy to use and adjust with multiple settings, higher top speed of ~27mph makes this a great platform for commuting
  • More assembly required because the bike is broken down to fit in a smaller box... but shipping is very affordable (or free in the contiguous USA), No slap guard or chain guide, basic pedals get the job done but aren't as large or durable, no USB charging ports, step-thru frame only comes in small size, basic two-amp charger takes longer with the high capacity battery