PLANET3 - mechanical e-bike derestriction device. https://planet3.bike/

Region
United Kingdom
1631544493002.png

What good is a tool if you are unable to replace the chain...

Region
United Kingdom
Went to Evans Cycles (large chainstore, pun intended) near London Bridge- no 9 speed chains of any kind- chap wes nice enough and try on eBay he said . I already tried I said- oh, sorry mate ...

Region
United Kingdom
Just trying to help you out, since you don't seem to have a cue as to when it's time to replace your chain.
I never said I didn't know when- I only moaned about not being able to lay my hands on the replacement part.
I do agree with you tho- it's good to have this and use regularly- I was lucky as chain was stil at 0.5 (I thought it was0.75) so didn't have to splash out on new cassette- advice from the shop was- get spares while stock lasts...
So, from brand new to worn KMC e9T chain lasted just under 700miles of commuting, mostly on flat, fair bit os stop start due to traffic lights and a lot of shifting, mostly on 50% power and 50assist, occasional 100% 100%
They didn't have that chain, so KMC X9 it is now, we will see how long it will last.
Cheers

Deacon Blues

I'm having the same problem getting replacement parts in Canada (British Columbia) too.
Even though I don't need a new cassette or chain for my two bikes (one ebike and one road bike) I recently bought new cassettes and chains for both, because when I eventually need to replace these parts I suspect I won't be able to readily buy them.

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
I'm having the same problem getting replacement parts in Canada (British Columbia) too.
Even though I don't need a new cassette or chain for my two bikes (one ebike and one road bike) I recently bought new cassettes and chains for both, because when I eventually need to replace these parts I suspect I won't be able to readily buy them.
And they aren't likely to get cheaper when they are available...

Region
United Kingdom
And they aren't likely to get cheaper when they are available...
That's pretty much what the chap at the bike shop said- his advice was to get enough spares to last for a year or so. He had to improvise and add few extra missing links, as chains they have in stock aren't long enough...

Region
United Kingdom
ebike-rated chains are overrated.
I kind of feel the same but, if possible I try to replace like for like. Tech at the bike shop assured me that it will be fine and explained that a chain in a non powered bike is likely to be subject to even more stresses, as some stand up whilst cycling up the incline, therefore "normal" chains must be capable of handling that extra torque/ forces and as ebikes are generally limited to certain torque, they don't have to be as strong. Or something like that. Makes sense if you think about it.,, I would often pedal standing up on an analogue bike going up the hill, never even consider doing that on an ebike...

Region
United Kingdom
Fun fact.
1631650952070.png

Allegedly, reflective strip on the tires is applied by hand, hence why when you spin the wheel on a stand it may appear crooked.
Fun fact two. I took this photo about two miles away from the Olympic Village in London...

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
They generally are longer than standard for ebikes.
Yes, that's the only thing making them different.

If we're talking about my own experience, I was trying so many chains on my heavily ridden (11-speed) Vado 5. Like, Shimano CN-E8000, Shimano Ultegra XT CN-HG701 (138 links), KMC e11 EPT, or unbranded Decathlon "11-speed chain for e-bikes". My Vado was originally delivered with Shimano CN-HG601 chain. As you can see, the only feature that made those chains different to standard bike chains was their length. Still, you can find two non e-bike chains here, and the "e-bike" chains were stretched at the same rate as the "non-ebike" ones. All the talk about special hardening or special plating means nothing unless you live by the ocean (a highly corrosive environment).