Police training and use considerations for duty electric bicycles

J.R.

Region
USA
Ebikes are getting more mainstream everyday. Interesting article from and to law enforcement officers.

Screenshot_20210911-084948_Chrome.jpg

Urban centers will surely see more cops on ebikes. I expect it won't be long before we see rangers on ebikes at popular trails and paths before long. The C&O Path, the G.A.P. Trail and other destination tails will surely adopt ebikes for first responders. If and when this happens, I wonder if public charging stations will follow?

Does your town have ebike patrol officers? Have you seen any cops on ebikes? Is it a viable program? Will it help advance adoption and infrastructure?

Ken M

Will be interesting if they get Class 3 ebikes and ride them on sidewalks and bike trails. That looks like a class 3 ebike in the picture. Hopefully they'll just get federally compliant "low speed electric bikes" and ignore the 3-class system / legislation.

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Ebikes are getting more mainstream everyday. Interesting article from and to law enforcement officers.

View attachment 99654

Urban centers will surely see more cops on ebikes. I expect it won't be long before we see rangers on ebikes at popular trails and paths before long. The C&O Path, the G.A.P. Trail and other destination tails will surely adopt ebikes for first responders. If and when this happens, I wonder if public charging stations will follow?

Does your town have ebike patrol officers? Have you seen any cops on ebikes? Is it a viable program? Will it help advance adoption and infrastructure?
Ambulance call ?

J.R.

Region
USA
Ambulance call ?
Love that! Where there's a will.... then a need... the ideas will follow. I think we have more open minded people than the mass media would have us believe 🤔

Pittsburgh:

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Love that! Where there's a will.... then a need... the ideas will follow. I think we have more open minded people than the mass media would have us believe 🤔

Pittsburgh:

Tangentially related. Maybe.

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania

View attachment 99654

@Saratoga Dave . I just wanted to give you a shout to be sure you had a chance to see this.

mschwett

Region
USA
we have quite a few officers on bikes and ebikes around here. i’m not sure if they’re the equivalent of foot patrol or special purpose (e.g. suicide prevention on the bridge) but i think it’s great. gives you the community value of a foot patrol with a little increased range.

and i’m sure they don’t have to abide by whatever regulations apply to eBikes, just as an officer is entirely entitled to speed if needed to stop a crime or catch a suspect.

Last edited: