Quick update on Archon / Rohloff / Kindernay tests

Wald

Did someone try using those shift/gear sensors for Bafang which you can find on ebay and co.?
I ordered one and played around with it. But to my understanding they won't work with the Rohloff. Because the shifter cable has to move before the sensor engages and that is not how the Rohloff works.
Or did i miss something and someone is successfully using those sensors with a Rohloff?

Deafcat

Yes, that's what i had to learn first. but you get used to it pretty fast.

However, it wasn't satisfying and i wanted to shift quicker.
So i made myself some sort of "clutch button". The red button labeled with the "horn" symbol is connected to the brake circuit from the motor. Whenever i press it the motor gets shut down, just like when pulling the brake lever.
So when i want to shift i press the button, reduce pressure on the pedals and twist the shifter, then release the button and hit the pedals again. When i get the timing right i can shift and accelerate pretty fast!

Been using an electronic "clutch lever" on my Ultra bike since late 2018, I won't have a mid drive ebike without one! It takes over the connection from the front brake interrupt. Built from a cheap brake lever housing with a custom single finger lever, sits right below/behind my front brake lever.

Not a fan of shift sensor. Manual interrupt is so much sportier!

Last edited:

Wald

Been using an electronic "clutch lever" on my Ultra bike since late 2018, I won't have a mid drive ebike without one! It takes over the connection from the front brake interrupt. Built from a cheap brake lever housing with a custom single finger lever, sits right below/behind my front brake lever.

Not a fan of shift sensor. Manual interrupt is so much sportier!

Same idea, two different solutions. 👍
The 3d printed lever is really cool.

@Deafcat
Is your bike equipped with a Rohloff?
And why didn't you like the shiftsensor exactly? Was it one of those cheap ones from ebay or the expensive version from gearsensor itself? Because gearsensor.com is claiming that their sensor is suitable with an igh.

AdilDesai

@Deafcat
And why didn't you like the shiftsensor exactly? Was it one of those cheap ones from ebay or the expensive version from gearsensor itself? Because gearsensor.com is claiming that their sensor is suitable with an igh.
Wouldn't it be easier to just incorporate a similar motor cutoff into the Kindernay thumb shifter? Is that even doable?

Deafcat

@Deafcat
I've run SRAM NX-11 and X01-12 speed on my Ultra, the issue with shift sensors is that a) it doesn't interrupt until you've initiated the shift, and b) you have no control of the interrupt time.

With a good manual switch you have the advantage of fine tuning your own reflexes, exactly like you do with manual shifting sports cars :)

also: the interrupt switch/lever is great when you're coasting or maneuvering at low speed, say in traffic approaching a light, and you want to cut power (pedal-power only while you coast and shift down). basically any time you want to interrupt assist, it's right at your finger tips (without touching a brake lever).