R&M Roadster touring 2021

b.amelie

Region
Canada
City
BC
I've been searching these forums and Reddit but haven't found much recent feedback on the Roadster model. A Riese & Muller bike is pushing my budget (so far I've been looking at Trek Allant 7+, Bulls Cross Lite Evo, and Ohm Quest) but I like that the Roadster can be customized and it seems lightweight compared to many ebikes. On paper it looks great and I'm hoping to try one out this week. Does anyone have any input on this bike? Personal experience?

Also, is the suspension fork air or coil? I can't find that info anywhere which makes me think it must be coil... I'm hoping not.

What have been your experience with R&M bikes in general? Do they live up to their price tag in quality and longevity? How is their support after purchase?

Alaskan

I have a Trek Allant 9.9 and my wife rides a Riese & Muller Homage (that I have ridden quite a bit). They are both great bikes but my opinion is that the Trek offers better value for the money. I am not sure about the fork but all the R&M bikes I know that have a front fork use a lower grade Suntour air fork that is adequate and clearly more comfortable that rigid fixed forks.

Not sure about Canada but in the US, Trek has a much broader distribution of shops that will service your bike after the purchase. Trek is a far more customer oriented company and really stands behind their products better than most. Riese & Muller has no parts distribution in North America so getting replacement parts from them can take far longer as they have to come from Germany. Unless you have a local dealer nearby, you could find yourself having to tranport a bike in need of service a long distance and waiting weeks or longer for repairs. All that said R&M bikes are well designed, well equipped, and generally quite reliable. I would say the brands are of comparable quality but the local service factor favors Trek.

dblhelix

I've been searching these forums and Reddit but haven't found much recent feedback on the Roadster model. A Riese & Muller bike is pushing my budget (so far I've been looking at Trek Allant 7+, Bulls Cross Lite Evo, and Ohm Quest) but I like that the Roadster can be customized and it seems lightweight compared to many ebikes. On paper it looks great and I'm hoping to try one out this week. Does anyone have any input on this bike? Personal experience?

Also, is the suspension fork air or coil? I can't find that info anywhere which makes me think it must be coil... I'm hoping not.

What have been your experience with R&M bikes in general? Do they live up to their price tag in quality and longevity? How is their support after purchase?

As you probably know, the current spec on this model lists the fork as “Suntour NCX 28”, tapered.” There are multiple NCX models. The D-LO appears to be steel spring (certainly true for older models) and the NCX-E is air. Both claim 63mm travel. I would ask R&M directly for the specific ID. It’s a budget fork, regardless.

I would agree with all of @Alaskan’s remarks about parts/service. If your configuration is derailleur/chain, you’ll have less to worry about, of course.

TheRaja

Region
USA
FWIW: At approx 6:15 mark of this video review of the R&M Roadster 2021
Chris of Propel states that the front suspension fork is a coil spring type.

b.amelie: We must share similar tastes/needs in ebikes. I have not purchased or taken a test ride yet, but have spent a lot of online time researching ebikes, much of it on this forum. I also narrowed my choices down to Trek Allant+ 7, R&M Roadster 2021, and 2021 Bulls CrossLight Evo Diamond . Allant+7 doesn't quite tick all my boxes, but the Bulls pretty much does other than minor items such as bike color, rear rack wouldn't be my first choice, and not too thrilled with front light positioning. But the nearest Bulls dealer to me is 2 hours away, and R & M much further than that. So for my first ebike purchase I am concurring with the sentiments of Alaskan and dblhelix expressed above and will patiently wait with fingers crossed that Trek refreshes their ebike line later this year and offers something a bit closer to my desires than the Allant 7+. I have a couple choices of Trek dealers in my area, and am currently riding an accoustic 2019 Trek Dual Sport 3 hybrid and have been generally pleased with it and had no problems.

rickbollocks

Region
USA

Hi, I own a 2020 R

Hi, I own a 2020 R & M Roadster Touring HS. This is one of the best bikes I have ever owned. Sporty, fast, perfect weight that gives you stability but not too heavy to be cumbersome. It is air suspension. I added a suspension seat post and the ride is very compliant even over potholes (I live in New England and there are many!) It is a fast Level 3 bike, you can keep up with traffic averaging 24 - 28pmh on the flat and it handles great around corners. The build quality is excellent and I have had zero issues after around 700 miles. Just an awesome bike, I suspect the 2021 model is even better with a 650W engine, may have to upgrade :) Let me know if you would like any further info.