Rad Mission lemon or are they all garbage?

hoggdoc

Region
USA
He’s not wrong though. I mean, not really enough info in the OP to make much of a definitive statement (not blaming OP, who seems new to this and can’t be expected to really know). But:

-shop can’t put a bike together “without a part breaking (what part? Even cheap parts don’t break during assembly unless already broken or the wrench screws up).
-tensioner broke (ok, sucks, but chain tensioners are 10-20 dollar parts that take 3 minutes to install assuming it actually broke and wasn’t just misadjusted or something)
-chain thunking during initial test ride (this could be one of a hundred different things, from something catastrophic failing to a misadjusted derailleur)
-brakes losing efficiency (are the discs bedded in? Disc brakes take a bit to bed in properly. Or could be cable housing settling into their ferrules which will loosen up the cable a bit and make the lever feel less effective).

Not to dogpile on the OP or anything, but honestly some of this sounds like a shop that half assed the assembly and is blaming the cheap bike for it.
I totally agree.

Fly Rod

Region
USA
He doesn't sound new to this at all to me. He sounds like he knows exactly what he is doing. He is here to flame Rad in my opinion.

Nobodyspecial

Region
USA
I wonder if you have thought that the Local Shop you had assemble the bike might have screwed it up? I'm also wondering why you paid someone to do the little assembly necessary with any of these bikes. Generally its mount front wheel and attach the handle bars. Just saying seems like you didn't get you monies worth from that shop.
You very well may be right. I had them assemble it at the request of the company to keep the warrant intact and also because when I opened the box I just saw bags of wiring and parts. The frame was together but not much else. Not having any experience with ebikes I figured it best to leave it to professionals. I’m sure I got taken by the bike shops. Heck, they probably make most of their money off people new to these products without the knowledge to call BS. The best thing I can do is deal with the current situation in the most reasonable way. Either upgrade the parts I need to or not waste anymore time and money on a bad product. So far the plan is upgrade and learn to do everything myself. If I need to go in a different direction later, I will.

Fly Rod

Region
USA
Bags of wiring and parts? Did you look at this?
This sweet heart is a pro. Look at how closely he follows this thread. It started in the general forum and the moderator moved it here and he followed it immediately. He's no rookie like he portrays himself to be. He's not looking for help. He's a flamer and a troll. Bet on it. What motivates him I don't know. A competitor, maybe. Troublemaker, maybe. I can tell you with certainty this Darli'n ain't what she portrays herself to be.

hoggdoc

Region
USA
You very well may be right. I had them assemble it at the request of the company to keep the warrant intact and also because when I opened the box I just saw bags of wiring and parts. The frame was together but not much else. Not having any experience with ebikes I figured it best to leave it to professionals. I’m sure I got taken by the bike shops. Heck, they probably make most of their money off people new to these products without the knowledge to call BS. The best thing I can do is deal with the current situation in the most reasonable way. Either upgrade the parts I need to or not waste anymore time and money on a bad product. So far the plan is upgrade and learn to do everything myself. If I need to go in a different direction later, I will.
Sounds like a solid plan. There are lots of Youtube videos that should help you learn about basic things like brake adjustments, shifting adjustments etc. Have you contacted RAD customer service and requested they send someone to sort your problems under warranty? I would push them hard to fix or replace the bike.

kmccune

I think you nailed it, besides do not expect "Filet Mignon" at "T-Bone" prices, both are good food the quality and costs can be totally different.

ExPatBrit

Judging by other recent posts on the Mission tensioner, it does seem to be a problem. Not sure if it's the quality of the component or the application . Ratio is fixed at 50-16, lower power bike + if you are really pushing those pedals from standstill or up a hill it's quite a lot of stress on that tensioner.

Interestingly, Mission is not back-ordered even reduced to the original launch price $999 :confused: .

They should put put a derailleur on this bike. I never had major issues with my Rad.

JohnJohn

Region
Canada
I have a Rad City StepThru and come here to get other people's experiences, tips, ideas, etc. That lemon and piece of garbage has been giving me about 6000 clicks a year without any issues whatsoever, and I beat the living snot out of it. I put it together and all I've had to do is change a flat.